Join Early Retirement Today

first time home owner
Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

first time home owner

Ive owned a home in the past,and id like to know how long it would take for me to be considered a first time home buyer again,or is that even possible??
Alexg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For what purpose?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
gone traveling

If you're trying to qualify for some kind of 1st time buyer financing program they usually are upfront with the qualifications. From what I've seen they require no home ownership in the last 5 years. If not, how would anyone know after say 7 years when mortgages would drop off credit reports and tax records would not be expected beyond that time?
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about the legalities of it. But, when it comes to the subjective aspects, I would imagine that you are a virgin home-buyer! So be sure to get a good realtor to help you along the way, and then trust yourself more than your realtor or anybody.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
For what purpose?
To feel "shiny and new"?
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Die and be reincarnated.... Seriously, you think that these special loan programs wouldnt have records of people that have used them in the past....
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Most of the programs that I have read about state that you must not have owned a home in the past two years. Of course those were for programs in California and also for a VA loan.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ditto the last poster. To qualify for first-time homebuyer programs again it's usually 2 years with no ownership interest in any property. (If it's a divorce situation it's more complicated) You should check with the specific program though. It might vary depending on who is underwriting it.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need to check with the particular program you are interested in to see what thier rules are....if administered by the state, for example it could be 1st time homeowner in that particular state. Property records are public, so it would be easy to audit.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

For Roth IRAs I believe it is also two years.
HornedToad10 is offline   Reply With Quote