Five ways to prevent retirement

lets-retire said:
It's almost like they can't be promoted unless they have worked for many of the companies in the industry.

Some firms value external experience more than internal experience. Those are good jobs to quit.

Agreed. I think I'm working for one such firm right now. Let's see, in the last three years, I have gotten 0%, 0%, and 1.2% raise. Bonuses? What are those again? This is completely different from when they were trying to recruit me from another firm. I was offered a signing bonus and a good salary bump.

Well, the CEO in 2003 decided to make major cuts. He eliminated many jobs across the company and he reduced my sizable salary by 30%, ouch. This 30% reduction brought my salary back to 1997. He actually wanted to reduce it by over 33%. It was hard to argue when a lot of people were left without a job. I got 0% raise in 2004 and 2005. In today's dollars, my 2005 salary was about the same as my 1995 salary. :(

It was my wakeup call for ER planning.

It actually worked out well for me because I slowly dissapeared into the woodwork and the next 2 years felt more like a stress free part time job with a terrific salary.
By their own actions, they got less than their money's worth. :bat:.

Then earlier this year, I got laid off after 21 years.

I was planning to fly the coupe later this year anyway, so it worked out to my benefit. :D

Jay_Gatsby said:
I'm sure you were willing to take a measly 1% commission on those sales too. :D

It wasnt even that good.

But I havent had to work for 5 years.

Or probably ever again.

So not too shabby I guess.

Recently attended the funeral of a older relative and had a chance to talk to a few cousins I haven't seen in years. My cousins husband was joking that his retirement plan was death. I think wife + 4 girls may rule out early retirement.

This kind of goes along with my question on tricks and strategies for ER that I recently posted.

I agree with #2 as a college professor. Good colleges are just as beneficial as "great" colleges. The ability to get a job is really the responsibility of the job seeker rather than the social merit factor of having a degree from a particular college.
I also am keenly aware that "you can lead a kid to college, but you can't make him (or her) think"!!!!!!!

Cars are another pet peeve. I fly in the face by buying new, but I keep them 7-10 years, maintain them well, and drive them into the ground. I've bought pre-owned and my luck was 85% not good--even with high end Volvos.

I have a well crafted and developed reputation as a grouchy old curmugeon-- and I like it--it keeps the "hand-out seekers" away. I refuse to give to university and alumni funds. And after years of being forced to give "my fair share" to United Way as a school administrator, I refuse to participate in that, too. I guess my mantra for the past several years is that charity begins at home.

Just my 2 cents (really nickel's worth but adjusted for inflation).

Professor

Professor said:
  I guess my mantra for the past several years is that charity begins at home.

Professor
Just so it doesn't end there, too :)

HH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom