Join Early Retirement Today

Flight attendant retires... after more than 50 years.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Flight attendant retires... after more than 50 years.

"Flight attendant retires after 50-plus years with Aloha Airlines"

Quote:
When Patti Smart was hired as an Aloha Airlines stewardess 50 years ago, it was a different job for a different time. She rubbed elbows with Frank Sinatra, performed in-flight fashion shows and danced in smoke-filled aisles during island-hopping voyages aboard cramped DC-3s seating two dozen passengers. Smart, nicknamed the "Queen of Aloha," retires Friday after more than a half-century on the job she started when she was 18 years old.
To put this into perspective, she's been working with the same employer for longer than many of us have been alive.

The article doesn't mention why she's retiring, although it doesn't sound as though she's really ready to leave.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An amazing feat... to work for one employer for so long... congrats to her...

I wished I had something to back this up, but back when I was young I worked for Flour in the mail room... they had an employee 'paper'.. once they had an article of this lady that had worked for the firm for 45 years and had never taken a single sick day... amazing to me...

Then again, my sister worked as a teacher for 41... which is even more amazing when you talk to teachers who are burned out in 4 or 5 years...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
...back when I was young I worked for Flour...
I've heard of working for chickenfeed, but this is ridiculous...

I'm guessing Fluor?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Amazing how people rack up the years. My dad retired after 45 years at State. And there was an article about our University Rabbi. He just celebrated 40 years and is going to continue to work.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've heard of working for chickenfeed, but this is ridiculous...

I'm guessing Fluor?

LOL... well, the mind sees what it wants to see and the fingers do as they want... but yes... Fluor...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a guy still working at my former employer who has been there for 60 years. He is age 80+. I think that is sad. His job has been his entire life.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Work is both an economic and social activity. Some people work extended hours or for many years because they would rather be at work than at home. 'Nuf said.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Work is both an economic and social activity. Some people work extended hours or for many years because they would rather be at work than at home. 'Nuf said.
Some look at work as giving them a purpose in life. These are the ones who work because they truly enjoy what they're doing, or those who view what they're doing with a sense of duty. In either case, they don't want to do anything else.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
There is a guy still working at my former employer who has been there for 60 years. He is age 80+. I think that is sad. His job has been his entire life.
Not necessarily sad. We are all different.

If he feels a sense of community and purpose at work, who is to say that his life experience is any less real or meaningful than that of the majority of people who derive such benefits through their family, friends, hobbies, volunteering, religion, etc.?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think a lot of elderly folks waste away and die not due to health reasons per say, but because they believe there's nothing more to give to society..........

I have seen plenty of elderly folks become healthier, more vibrant, etc,by getting them involved in things.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote