Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations, hard work does pay off!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Update:
Did not get selected at last year's board. This year....wooohooo!!! 144 packages were submitted, and only 6 of us were selected!! My commissioning ceremony will be in August (on board the USS Intrepid) after I demobilize from this call up. Almost free graduate school (military TA, plus Post 9/11 GIB starting in Aug) in addition to the resume boost of the mobilization in addition to my professional certification obviously paid off! I am on the hook for at least 6 more years. After knife & fork school in Newport, RI, HR officer training in Monterey, I will voluntarily be called up to be an officer recruiter at home in NJ (FYI, I was an enlisted recruiter for 6 years and loved it - just got promoted away from the field...so I left at the time - looking forward to being a field recruiter again) Nothing like maxing out on military retirement points, living at home, staying involved in my veteran activities, and still earning seniority, leave, and raises with my state job!! Plus, my net pay is much higher from mil pay/allowances than my civ salary, so it makes my savings plans easier!

Life is good!!!
Very Nice! Tomcat98

Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #23

FireUp2025 - congratulations! My husband had 10 years enlisted and now has 13 officer - he went before 5 boards before getting selected. I find him one of the best officers I know because he's seen both sides - in fact I respect those who do transfer over - now, there are some that take advantage, but most have a better understanding of everyone's role. He also said that when he became a 2Lt, his pay doubled from that of a SSgt---that's significant.

As for Nords and his crack on AF 2Lts (we (the AF) don't capitalize all letters in our officer or enlisted abbreviations), well, that's his issue - living in a submarine must really either confirm or mold anti-social behavior :-) What happened to we are *joint*? :-) :-) I find the AF has a much mellower approach to things - to be honest, being here at EUCOM in the clutches of the Army has been interesting - even the Navy people are shaking their heads at times. Definitely different cultures.

In any case, congrats and welcome to the officer corps.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #24

When I was a young military brat (not too long ago ), I remember some O to E crossovers. These were wartime commisions, and after the war some of them had to revert back. One I recall was an O5 base commander one day, an E5 the next.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After knife & fork school in Newport, RI, HR officer training in Monterey, I will voluntarily be called up to be an officer recruiter at home in NJ
Congratulations again. And holy cow, only six out of 144? I had a CO who claimed that it was easier to go from O-1 to O-6 than it was to go from E-4 to E-8.

I hope that's a short training course. After you've lived in Monterey you're going to find it very challenging to go back to NJ... even if it's not winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
As for Nords and his crack on AF 2Lts (we (the AF) don't capitalize all letters in our officer or enlisted abbreviations), well, that's his issue - living in a submarine must really either confirm or mold anti-social behavior :-) What happened to we are *joint*? :-) :-)
It's an interesting perspective on the submarine force that even the Air Force seems like a better deal than submarine pay.

But we other joint services have always known that the Air Force has the best quality of life...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #26

FinallyRetired - my granddaddy was just that - he was Major during WWII flying airplanes over the hump. He tried to find a job after WWII and decided to go back in enlisted - however, when he retired he got the pay and rank of Major.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
FinallyRetired - my granddaddy was just that - he was Major during WWII flying airplanes over the hump. He tried to find a job after WWII and decided to go back in enlisted - however, when he retired he got the pay and rank of Major.
I'm glad they rewarded him with the higher pay grade. This was probably the case with the O5 to E5 guy. Reason I remember that one so well, he had a hot daughter that I was trying to date but, being the base commanders' daughter, it wasn't easy. So when he went to E5 I thought I might have a chance, but that didn't work either. Guess it wasn't the rank thing
Old 02-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #28

When I entered the Army in 1958 there were a lot of ex-officers around. Had a good friend that was a full Colonel at the end of WWII and he was serving as a Corporal. He had 10 years as an Officer but due to the reduction in force had to "step down" to enlisted ranks as an MSG E-7 - "adjustment" and some other problems took him down to CPL E-4. He did eventually "retire" as a Colonel. There were so many MSG E-7's that "came down" from Officer status after WWII (and to a lesser degree after Korea) (you could tell in those days because the prefix on the SN (serial numbers not social security numbers) was RO (for Reserve Officer) or RM (if they were in Warrant Officer status) that promotions to MSG E-7 were virtually halted from about 1947 to 1958. In 1958 the Army came up with the Grades E-8 and later E-9 to solve the problem. The former Officers had a date of rank back to when they were commissioned originally, so being more senior, most of the new E-8 and E-9 positions went to them. Really, created a large moral problem for the Army in the enlisted ranks until they all started to retire in the 60's. I saw a similar problem, to a much lesser degree, during the reduction in forces after Vietnam. I doubt that will occur after the current war since the forces are a lot smaller in number, and IMO, much better managed.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Began as an E-1. Ended as O-5. It was a nice ride.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Update:
Did not get selected at last year's board. This year....wooohooo!!! 144 packages were submitted, and only 6 of us were selected!!
BZ Fireup!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
When I entered the Army in 1958 there were a lot of ex-officers around. Had a good friend that was a full Colonel at the end of WWII and he was serving as a Corporal. He had 10 years as an Officer but due to the reduction in force had to "step down" to enlisted ranks as an MSG E-7 - "adjustment" and some other problems took him down to CPL E-4. He did eventually "retire" as a Colonel. There were so many MSG E-7's that "came down" from Officer status after WWII (and to a lesser degree after Korea) (you could tell in those days because the prefix on the SN (serial numbers not social security numbers) was RO (for Reserve Officer) or RM (if they were in Warrant Officer status) that promotions to MSG E-7 were virtually halted from about 1947 to 1958. In 1958 the Army came up with the Grades E-8 and later E-9 to solve the problem. The former Officers had a date of rank back to when they were commissioned originally, so being more senior, most of the new E-8 and E-9 positions went to them. Really, created a large moral problem for the Army in the enlisted ranks until they all started to retire in the 60's. I saw a similar problem, to a much lesser degree, during the reduction in forces after Vietnam. I doubt that will occur after the current war since the forces are a lot smaller in number, and IMO, much better managed.
Interesting bit of "undiscovered history". You sure don't read about it in the modern military's career-planning guides.

The Navy's personnel-management computers & websites have made it much more credible to tinker with manpower projections. Maybe too easy. But it certainly beats the crap out of the index-card system they were using in the 1980s.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote