Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you think about your job?
Love it - can't believe they pay me to do this! 9 7.14%
I do like my occupation 54 42.86%
Just here to pay the bills 43 34.13%
Wish I had another career 13 10.32%
Rather be dead 7 5.56%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Re: For the "still employed" - how do you feel about your job
Old 04-08-2007, 04:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny
My MegeCorp job is getting exponentially worse. People are dropping like flies...we're going through a restructuring, and the new GM they brought in is the most arrogant, self-serving, aggressive, idealistic and "Joe Guido" type asshole I've ever met. He speak of team-building, but treats his team members as adversaries. He speaks of goal-setting, continuous improvement, accountability and dialogue, but publicly rips you a new one when you question his ideas or directions. The entire staff is demoralized, fear-ridden and many are leaving in droves. Lawsuits are continuing due to employee health problems caused by stress and high blood pressure, etc. The nicest, most talented people are leaving first, with the work falling on those who remain. They are not hiring to replace those who leave. I used to love my job and the people I work with...not sure how long I can hold out, but I have a nice office, get 5 weeks off and am drawing a decent salary. It's amazing how one idiot can change the whole place for the worse.
When they bring someone in to shake things up... That is what happens, people get shook up. I have a boss that is the same way. It is even worse if the change agent is off-base. He sounds kinda like a chain-saw Al personality. All hatchet no compassion!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I would retire tomorrow if we were FI, but since we aren't quite there yet, I'll drag on in there. It's not that I hate the work or the workplace; I'm just over it and don't want to do that anymore. Too much time spent away from the house, and too many things that I wasn't able to do because I had to be at work. Even if they sent roses and chocolates everyday, I would still rather be at home or some other wonderful place of my choosing.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Given that I need a job, the one I have is about the best one I can think of, for me. So I think I have a great job, as jobs go, but I'll be out as soon as I have a big enough stash.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since health benefits aren't included when I quit, I'm hanging in there for another year to build assets and increase pension. I agree the boss can make a huge difference. Unfortunately same old story here, new boss who doesn't know what she is doing. She's a real loser. So the plan is next year,... but that could change at any time.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

If I'd had any viable job skills, or a trade, I would never have wound up in prisons. 7 years ago it was not too bad an agency to work for. But budgetary restrictions, scarily low staffing, and changes in the attitudes of the inmate population have made this a very unpleasant environment to work in. I sometimes wonder how much of that is due to an increasing "short-timer's attitude". This is definitely not the Bureau that I joined 22 years ago. But I'm here, well paid, and have a nice little pension coming soon. Guess I'll stick it out.

Although I have calculated the earliest possible date I could "not return" and still get my pension. It brings me in with under a year to go, if I were to get totally fed up and disgusted.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, a lot of positive responses . I voted for "wish I had a different career" but I think it could be combined with "just here to pay bills & save."

My 20s have been a weird time, even late 20s for that matter. Nothing really seems to interest me for that long and I always seem to be looking for greener pastures or at least the illusion of greener pastures. Maybe that is normal.

I don't know if it is the fact that I work for a large company and it is the system I dislike or just my job in general but it just doesn't seem to be a good fit. Kind of crappy existence and it is hard for me to imagine 20+ more wonderful years of this :P & a little pre-approved time off each year doesn't seem to be long enough. Glad I cheered everyone up
Old 04-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Can I have your job when you're finished with it?

I had alot of years with 12 hour plus days before I got to this part. I finally went in and said something had to change. I was able to hire several more employee's to help out and they even get overtime. It also makes it easier now that I don't have to have the job. What are they going to do, fire me?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #28

I'm with Dangermouse, Enuff2eat, and bubba - the job is okay, but at this point in my life (worked for the same agency 28 years), I don't want to be there anymore. Just too many other things I want to do, and you only get so many days on this earth. Would leave tomorrow, but have to stay until I'm 55 (3 more years) to get the immediate annuity and health care. So leaving early is not a realistic option.

RAE
Old 04-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #29

I voted that I'm just here to pay the bills. I actually used to like my job, but now I think a combination of things are crashing down on me. First off, back in late 2001/2002 we had some major turnover in our office, and some pretty cool people were replaced with some, umm...ahh-souls. : They ran off a few other cool people who, unfortunately, were replaced with even bigger ahh-souls.

I probably should have left myself, but the people who really mattered like me and watch out for me, and that's the only thing that keeps me going some days. I think another factor though is that I'm just getting bored. I can do my job in my sleep. Heck, this week I have to pull together a 600+ page presentation, plus one of our monthly reviews, plus send our program director off to NASA headquarters with one presentation and then another to some other group the next day, and my coworkers have me more bugged out than the presentations. I've been doing the same thing now for almost 10 years, and I think I'm just bored. But at the same time, it's easy, the pay's not bad the commute is to die for, and I just don't have the ambition right now to move on.

The little voices in my head are telling me to quit, though. Somehow I need to reason with them that I'm not quite FI/RE yet! I think that's another thing that's getting to me though. While I'm not FI yet, I am at a point that, if I had to, I could survive for years without working, and I think that's giving me a somewhat ambivalent attitude about my job.

Oddly enough, I think one thing that put me in the position I'm in is when I ran the numbers and saw that it's quite possible that I could retire in about 9 years, which would put me at the ripe old age of 46. Sometimes when my job gets to me, I just want that day to get here. But I don't want to get into the habit of wishing my life away! Hell, as I get older, I find the time goes by fast enough as it is!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
If I'd had any viable job skills, or a trade, I would never have wound up in prisons.
Ok, show of hands... Who else thought retiredbop was an ex-con before reading any further?

I voted "I do like my occupation", but it's not a complete picture. I recently turned to the dark side and became a manager, which I have mixed feelings about. I'm doing well in my new position and enjoy my fatter paycheck, but I wonder how happy I'll be long term moving away from my engineering roots. What makes my job enjoyable are the people I work with. Really sharp bunch of easy going guys, and my boss is the greatest. He's actually a guy I can look up to and respect. Haven't been able to say that about most of my bosses. This "occupation" in a different setting could really blow.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE
I'm with Dangermouse, Enuff2eat, and bubba - the job is okay, but at this point in my life (worked for the same agency 28 years), I don't want to be there anymore. Just too many other things I want to do, and you only get so many days on this earth. Would leave tomorrow, but have to stay until I'm 55 (3 more years) to get the immediate annuity and health care. So leaving early is not a realistic option.

RAE
I'm in a somewhat similar position to you RAE in the sense that I only have 10 months to go and then I get a nice big payout (i.e. stock options). DH is in the same position and that big pay off is going to mean the difference between an ok ER and a great ER. Dang, these golden handcuffs rub me raw sometimes though. :P
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

That is why I love this forum..so many similar stories..on the surface I have a great job..a somewhat technical commissioned sales job with lots of freedom and a successful track record..BUT...working for a large mega-company with all it's beaurocracy, decision by committee, and being forced to work with 25 year employees that should have been canned 24 years ago for incompetence grinds on you after a while. Love the money, love the freedom, love doing the business deals..but, abhor the BS..so, for now, I keep trudging along socking money away..but, someday within the next few years it will be a great relief to leave mega-corp behind and focus on my next adventure..
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #33

[quote=dm ]
My job is not bad but I wouldn't be there if I wasn't getting paid. "

That says it for me - great people, generally understanding and not stressful but there is a level of BS that goes with any j*b as well as the sense that I could better spend my time doing what I want to do. Also, the pay is adequate but not great

That said, I am looking for a new opportunity that pays more. I figure that with a timeframe in mind, a bit more will ensure my plans, I will have year or so honeymoon period that comes with a new position, and then with a short horizon should be able to put up with most stuff, knowing it is time limited. If I thought I had another 15+ years of w*rk, the strategy would probably be different.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #34

After 33 years in pharmaceutical quality management and fighting management for resources and other departments because they want to take short cuts, I am worn out. Years of 11+ hour days, limited vacation time, eating a brown bag lunch at my desk takes a toll on your body, mind and soul. I fell hollow and exhausted.

I did the math recently and realized that over 25% of the time I have been with my current employer was spend doing at least two full time Director level jobs at the same time with little or no additional compensation. Any people wonder why I am ready to retire. :

We want to do some volunteer work (again) so we will see if we can combine RVing and volunteer activities that fall into what we are able to do. Neither of us is going to be doing any heavy lifting or hammer swinging but there are other things we can do...we just have to find them...........but first we rest and melt away the job stress, catch up on lost sleep and get healthy.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

I fell hollow and exhausted.
Sometimes the truth is in the typo...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Sometimes the truth is in the typo...

Good observation!
Old 04-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Work Experience: For the "still employed" - how do you feel about your job

Whenever I participate in these polls related work dissatisfaction, I wonder about the various work-related experiences that one might have. For example, your age may (or may not) affect how you vote. Here are some experiences that I think tend to affect how one might vote:

1. Age - Usually the older one is, the more varied the individual's work experience is. Obviously, there are exceptions, but I would think the more years in the work force, the more one will either find work enjoyable, you find ways to make it tolerable until you retire, or you know it will never get any better and you opt out.

2. Number of employers - As with age, I would think the general rule would be those who have had multiple employers probably have a better understanding of the working conditions in their field/career, and tend to vote with that in mind. I'm on my 6th employer, and I've worked in just about all of the various types of employment you can get involved in as an engineer - government, private consulting, industry.

3. Laid off - For me, this was a real eye-opener early in my career. I was laid off during the engineer purge in the early 1980s. I had a little less than 5 years total experience out of college and suddenly without a job - with a wife and two young kids. This really hit home - the need to make sure you are prepared for the unexpected, and to not look at your employment as some sort of right that can't be taken away (short of you really screwing up). That taught me employment is nothing personal; it didn't matter how good of a job you did or how well they liked you as a person - when they didn't need you, you were let go. That means I don't take it personally either, and if something better comes along, then I'll say my goodbyes, leave on a good note, and be out the door with no regrets.

I'm sure there are other factors and extenuating circumstances as well - as some of the above posts have noted - as to how and why people voted as they did.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: Work Experience: For the "still employed" - how do you feel about your job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmorton
employment is nothing personal; it didn't matter how good of a job you did or how well they liked you as a person - when they didn't need you, you were let go. That means I don't take it personally either, and if something better comes along, then I'll say my goodbyes, leave on a good note, and be out the door with no regrets.
Thank you jdm, I'll remember that!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

My job is as good as a job will ever get for me. I make 6 figures and don't work terribly hard for it. Of course, I'd rather not work at all. Sadly, no one will pay me to do what I truly love: sit around and take it easy.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Guess I'm the only one. I recently read a book called "Apathy and and other Small Victories" by Paul Neilan. Funniest book I've read in a very long time.

Anyhow, there's a paragraph in the book that pretty much sums up how I feel.

"And everyone drank too much coffee too, at the wrong times and for the wrong reasons. They drank it in the morning when they came in every morning to get going, and then again in the afternoon to keep going. They ran on caffeine fumes all day and never got anywhere. Then they went home spent and empty and crashed in front of the TV every night and slept the few hours they had for themselves. Everyone's awake for the wrong part of their lives. And by the weekend they're too exhausted from all the frantic, useless activity to even care, and its only two f#%^ing days off anyway. Nobody has the time or the energy to do what they really want, or to even figure out what that is."