Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you think about your job?
Love it - can't believe they pay me to do this! 9 7.14%
I do like my occupation 54 42.86%
Just here to pay the bills 43 34.13%
Wish I had another career 13 10.32%
Rather be dead 7 5.56%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

For the "still employed" - how do you feel about your job
Old 04-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the "still employed" - how do you feel about your job

I have noticed a few people make comments that run the gamut regarding job satisfaction. Tell us what you really think! I managed to get lucky and life has steered me towards a personally rewarding career - whew! I see so many folks who are simply putting in their time at work - to pay the bills to get by...very few on track to FIRE. I hope our crowd here is more satisfied than them 8)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: For the "still employed" - how do you feel about your job
Old 04-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I like MPOW, even when I spend the day beating my head against the wall getting our new report generator to behave in the manner I think it should (as I did today), and helping the boss with misc. tech support stuff. I can't believe I get paid to be surrounded by books and college students all day. :-) People typically retire from here, and I fully expect to do the same (though somewhat younger than most of my colleagues have!). The goal is to get my boss' job when he retires (lib. director), stay there for 5-10 years, and split before I forget what it was like to be on the front lines and/or the higher-ups try to lure me into the higher levels of administration.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

How about an option to see the results without voting?
8)
Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #4

I don't hate my job, actually I feel that the company I work for is one of the better ones out there today. However, the big issue for me is I feel done. I don't want to get up every day and waste my time sitting in an office processing numbers and killing an infinite number of trees to produce my financial reports. I don't think it would matter what the job was or which company it was at, I am just mentally tired and ready for this part of my life to be over.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I enjoy my job. I just hate the idiots that I work with. Seriously, I am a commissioned salesmen with alot of freedom. I set my own schedule and am paid very, very well. My customers are great and I have been in the business for almost 20 years. The company I work for is the leader in our industry and very financially stable. So I am is in a very comfortable rut. Fortunately, if things go as planned, in 5-7 more years I can tell em to piss off, permanently. Just a few weeks ago I was really pissed off and was thinking of quiting. I even went and interviewed witha few of my competitors. One of them made me a very strong offer. I haven't accepted, at least not yet. But if the corporate lackeys keep pushing my buttons, I do have an excellent back up plan. Fortunatley, I do have what I call "screw you" money. In the form of liquid assets in taxable accounts that I can use at any time if needed. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it sure is nice to have.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My job isinteresting, stimulating, very lucrative, and exhausting.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I always cringe when I read folks describing here what some upper management type did to them because I've been in upper management ever since I can remember. I work with a great group of people. After reading what y'all write though, I'm not sure they feel the same way about me.

Nevertheless, I love my job and can't believe they pay me so much to do what I do.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Funny thing is I have had many 'jobs' working for the same company...

A long time ago, I had the best job for me... loved it. Worked very hard all day, but it was good.... bad management who were all workaholics and kept trying to get me to be one... had to leave

Did a short stint on an OK job...

Then got one for a short term over in London... LOVED IT... got a few great raises and was 'management'.... the contract ended and it was over...

Did a stint in NY... it was a good job, worked hard again, but not 'the best'... so eventually got moved back home...

Was doing something that was a bit 'important' for a couple of years... but then a merger...

NOW, I am doing a very low level job... funny thing is I could be doing the job 4 levels above me... so I am very bored. However, I don't want to move to NY to climb the ladder as I only want to work maybe 5 more years... so, I just suck it up and get my paycheck...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #9

don't have my job but just hating wasting my life in the office; rather do others thing and i do count my years to retirement, yup just another 25 years to go.

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #10

I'm extremely thankful that I'm not qualified to vote in this poll!

(sorry....just couldn't resist)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think most people lurking around this board have already shown their hand. They are thinking about the exit.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #12

i would guess that most of the folks on this board are NOT too crazy about their job??

enuff
Old 04-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I do like what I do BUT after crossing over into FI this year, I wonder "how long do I want to stay and run up the score?" :

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat
i would guess that most of the folks on this board are NOT too crazy about their job??
They could be like me -- I love my profession, but also don't want to be trapped within a particular job within that profession because I need the money.
S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I needed another category that would be something like "Wish I could retire tomorrow; but I can't believe they pay me for doing this". I think I'm "lucky" in that what I do for MegaCorp is needed (at least in the US) - most people would rather have a root canal done than do what I do because they think it is a difficult area (requires the ability to think as a lawyer/engineer/regulator, and you have to like to read fine print and regulations). Yet, it is not really difficult and I've built up quite a bit of "expertize" in the area. I get to set my own schedule and people actually "wait" for me to be free for calls, meetings, and so forth. I'm pretty sure if I were to retire tomorrow, MegaCorp would hire me back as a consultant in a heartbeat :P. I don't really want to do that after I leave, which is why if frequent this board .
Old 04-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #16

My job is not bad but I wouldn't be there if I wasn't getting paid. I really have it pretty easy as I'm a manager and have some really good employees. I just tell them what needs to be done and they take care of it. I may do an hour or two of paperwork a day and that's about it. The problem is I still have to show up. I'm planning on leaving July 1st, unless I get invited to play in a golf pro-am like last year. Then I'll stay alittle longer. It's easy money but I'll be 50 soon and I'm starting to realize I only have so many summers left in my life.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm
I really have it pretty easy as I'm a manager and have some really good employees. I just tell them what needs to be done and they take care of it.
Can I have your job when you're finished with it?

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #18

I work as an Executive Assistant in a Pharmaceutical company and it is an absolute blast! I cannot believe I get paid for what I do.....and every day is different which is a great thing for me. The guy I support is totally cool and so is the rest of the department which makes a major difference. I am perfectly happy coasting along for a bit and building up my pension, 401K, and my savings.
Plus, I get really cool perks like going on business trips, working from home, and solid raises.

However, I cannot wait for the morning when I don't have to set the alarm and can get up whenever I feel like.

citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

My MegeCorp job is getting exponentially worse. People are dropping like flies...we're going through a restructuring, and the new GM they brought in is the most arrogant, self-serving, aggressive, idealistic and "Joe Guido" type asshole I've ever met. He speak of team-building, but treats his team members as adversaries. He speaks of goal-setting, continuous improvement, accountability and dialogue, but publicly rips you a new one when you question his ideas or directions. The entire staff is demoralized, fear-ridden and many are leaving in droves. Lawsuits are continuing due to employee health problems caused by stress and high blood pressure, etc. The nicest, most talented people are leaving first, with the work falling on those who remain. They are not hiring to replace those who leave. I used to love my job and the people I work with...not sure how long I can hold out, but I have a nice office, get 5 weeks off and am drawing a decent salary. It's amazing how one idiot can change the whole place for the worse.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny
My MegeCorp job is getting exponentially worse. People are dropping like flies...we're going through a restructuring, and the new GM they brought in is the most arrogant, self-serving, aggressive, idealistic and "Joe Guido" type asshole I've ever met. He speak of team-building, but treats his team members as adversaries. He speaks of goal-setting, continuous improvement, accountability and dialogue, but publicly rips you a new one when you question his ideas or directions. The entire staff is demoralized, fear-ridden and many are leaving in droves. Lawsuits are continuing due to employee health problems caused by stress and high blood pressure, etc. The nicest, most talented people are leaving first, with the work falling on those who remain. They are not hiring to replace those who leave. I used to love my job and the people I work with...not sure how long I can hold out, but I have a nice office, get 5 weeks off and am drawing a decent salary. It's amazing how one idiot can change the whole place for the worse.
don't envy you at all. i thank god everyday for my job, just the part of showing up to work is difficult especially when the weather is nice or even worse when the weather is bad too... :-)