Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Fred's musings seem partiularly apropos
Old 04-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I know a lawyer who used to be a veterinarian. Said he was tired of "fixing" dogs and cats day in and day out.

I wonder how long he had to pay student loans.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I hate to tell you this, but you are making an unfounded assumption. Yes, most of the nations we outsource to won't have the financial system to do all the stuff the US financial system does, but many of the jobs are already starting to go over there. For example, most of the big Wall St. banks already farm out a lot of the basic financial modelling, etc. to Indian MBAs.

Unless you can do high value added work and stay on top/constantly upgrade your skills, it doesn't matter what you do: you will be vulnerable to competition from foreign labor.
Geez, they didn't say that on the MBA brochures! I wonder why. I don't feel too bad though because at least I'm not going to be spending $75K to find out that I'll still be competing against el-cheapo foreign labor. I'm going where the scholarship is the biggest. I hope it pans out. Businessweek and Fortune ranked the program, but if I'm begging for food on Retire Early Forum in a year or two, you'll know that I f-ed up, so please send donations.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
I'm going where the scholarship is the biggest. I hope it pans out. Businessweek and Fortune ranked the program, but if I'm begging for food on retire early forum in a year or two, you'll know that I f-ed up, and please send donations.
Hey, hit 'em where the outsourcing can really hurt: get your MBA in India or China!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote