Join Early Retirement Today

Free online Financial Planning Course
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Free online Financial Planning Course

I have no idea if this is good or not, but it may interest some young folks struggling with debt and savings. I was clicking around looking for an online constitutional law class and found Fundamentals of Personal Financial Planning, from UC Irving, at Coursera (a consolidated offering of free online courses from 33 universities). It is a ten week class starting in January and sounds like a comprehensive, basic intro to the topic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, donheff. That course a great idea for someone looking to get an overview of planning basics. I'm actually more excited about the link to Coursera you provided... haven't seen it before... I'm going to bookmark that one!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
Thanks, donheff. That course a great idea for someone looking to get an overview of planning basics. I'm actually more excited about the link to Coursera you provided... haven't seen it before... I'm going to bookmark that one!
+1
Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Many universities (including top-notch institutions) are starting to make courses available here and on other platforms such as iTunesU. Lots of great stuff out there - and too little time!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Synchronicity. I am watching the Today show and they are airing a pretty long piece on Coursera. Lots of raves from both students and teachers. Senator Dick Durbin took an online poetry class so good company for you progressive thinkers.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi:

Thanks for the link. I am sending this along to my 24 year old daughter who has some free time in January between jobs.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

More from LA Times. Learning from the best - latimes.com

Quote:
Learning from the best

The number of free college-level courses offered online has surged this year, with some of the nation's most prestigious universities getting involved. The classes are open to anyone, and although you won't earn college credit, you will get a chance to learn from professors and other experts at no charge.
The article lists some key websites
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Great link.

I may take the course myself as a sanity check to see how my already enacted plan aligns with an educational course in personal financial planning.

Never stop learning...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #9

Dan Ariely is teaching a course through that place, too. It sounds awesome. Starts in March if anyone else wants to join. I'm a huge fan of his work in behavioral economics.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dan Ariely is teaching a course through that place, too. It sounds awesome. Starts in March if anyone else wants to join. I'm a huge fan of his work in behavioral economics.
I read Predictably Irrational, quite good. I may sign up just to see what it is like. Having read the book, I am, of course, a know it all on the subject.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can someone tell me how online courses usually work? Are you allowed to join if the class has already started? Also, what if you will be away for a couple of weeks and you would not have access to a computer. I am going on a cruise the end of January and would not be participating, but could make it up after I return, if that is allowed.

Thanks for providing the link to Coursera. I have bookmarked it also and some of the courses sound very interesting.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

Each university, as well as each instructor, have course guidelines and rules.

In midst of a vacation I was on next to last course for my masters. I went online regularly, and participated in a group project. We all worked for our A's.

OTH, in one class a group member never contacted anyone on the team. Never responded to our emails. When he got back from his two week vacation, he asked me one day before the due date what he could do to help. I replied that he could ask the instructor what team he could get on. He actually got defensive.

I mention this as the university, instructor or team members could have high expectations.

Good luck in your pursuit.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I am taking an online Intro to Astronomy course right now through Coursera. Good experience overall, can't beat free for sure.

The way it works is, the professor uploads a video lecture to the site once a week. You can watch the lecture on your own time, at your own convenience. There are homework sets due weekly that you complete online. There is an online forum for all students, and the TA will pop in from time to time to answer questions. You can choose to do the homework or not, the only difference is you need to complete all the homework with a passing grade in order to get a completion certificate. Otherwise you can also just watch the lectures, do a few/some of the homeworks, as long as you don't care about the certificate.

Like I said, all in all, a good experience, but the course I am taking does require a bit of time. Would be nicer if I was FIRE'd already, vs. still w*rking

They do have lots of classes though, so pretty much something for everyone...
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #14

Thanks a lot guys. I am working 3 days per week still and I spend a good bit of time with my 4 year old granddaughter (who is in the same house) playing. It seems like lately my Tues and Thurs have been taking because of dental, doctor, medical testing appt hair appt and Christmas preparation. Enough with the excuses. Maybe I am afraid that it will be too hard and that I will not be smart enough. It has been many years since I have been in school. It does sound interesting though and the price is right.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I read Predictably Irrational, quite good. I may sign up just to see what it is like. Having read the book, I am, of course, a know it all on the subject.
I signed up and am taking the course. It is OK, not great. I like Ariely's lectures and have done well on the first two weeks quizzes. I don't plan to do the writing assignment and am out of the country for the final. Ariely offers a package deal on his three books thru Amazon. True to my ER proclivities, I got all three from the library.

Are you doing the course Sarah?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #16

Dang, seeing your post reminded me that I am a total slacker. I went out of town the first week and never showed my virtual face again. I suck.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dang, seeing your post reminded me that I am a total slacker. I went out of town the first week and never showed my virtual face again. I suck.
You are late for the week one test but it would still be pretty easy to catch up. Nothing wrong with being a slacker. Look at my signature.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #18

Gaah, pressure! From an idler, no less! Okay, okay, I'll work on it this weekend...after the bachelorette party on Saturday.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Gaah, pressure! From an idler, no less! Okay, okay, I'll work on it this weekend...after the bachelorette party on Saturday.
Worse than an idler, I was always a chronic underachiever relegated to the back of the class. But I did well on the tests, I just didn't bother with the homework. I'm doing the same here.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
More from LA Times. Learning from the best - latimes.com

The article lists some key websites
Thanks, I'll check this.