Join Early Retirement Today

Re: From San Diego to D.C.?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I work in Northern Virginia, and yes, the traffic absolutely sucks. Likewise, housing is ridiculously expensive, as are the other necessities of life. While it's true that you won't find a more educated area in the country, the negatives will likely outweigh the positives for someone coming out of San Diego.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #22

We also live in northern Va. and even though we are both retired I have to say that the traffic sucks. DW and I plan our activities for the middle of the day during the week. We absolutely avoid being anywhere but at home during morning and evening rush hours. Even then we are often stuck in traffic. Since we have lived virtually our whole adult lives in the D.C. area we have come to accept this as the price for living in an otherwise vibrant and interesting area.

Grumpy

Old 07-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

If you were single you could go anywhere the next gig might lead you to go.* You made your last personal decision the minute you said "I do" and tied the knot.*

Anyway, I spent time in DC.* I prefer the west.* You would spend all your money on over priced real estate and long exotic vacations to avoid the reality that on a day to day basis, compared to SD DC sucks.* That plus the fact that wives never forget, much less forgive, and she would inevitably blame all further problems post move on your "stupid job" decision, I would thank your old buddy, and tell him if he really likes you, open up an office in San Diego and make you the west coast manager!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been living in DC for 26 years. When I moved from Chicago I never thought I would stay but now I am here for life. I have a beautiful weekend house on the water about 60 miles away but if I have to downsize to one house it is the townhouse on Capitol Hill. The weather sucks a bit but it is still a great town. My son lives lives about 4 blocks away and commutes to Tysons. The commute that way is not as bad as the commute into town from the VA suburbs.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, donheff, for defending DC/Northern Va! I live here too, and I love it. I metro to work, no traffic there. Yes, you should avoid the east side of the beltway on Friday afternoons in summer (as the hoards head to the beach), and heading south toward Richmond is randomly a nightmare...but, I came from southern CT and the traffic was just as bad there.

Yes, housing prices are sky high (they are coming down, though), but I bought my townhouse 7 years ago, so I was lucky. My BF and I have been talking about getting a house, so I'm kind of liking the buyer's market we seem to be heading into. I couldn't afford my townhouse by myself if I had to buy it today.

But the area has so much to offer. Culture (free museums!), diversity, a huge variety of restaurants and things to do. And it's a nature/outdoor lover's dream metropolitan area - biking trails everywhere, kayaking on the Potomac, hiking in Great Falls, nice county parks for camping/swimming etc.

Having grown up on Long Island and living in CT, the biggest thing I miss is being near the ocean. I love the ocean.

Karen
Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #26

Yep, it's a single person's dream playland. Walk out from the apartment, and you have your choice of restaurants reviewed in the Washingtonian. No driving needed, but it would only work if you don't have kids because with kids, you can't live in a 1 BR or studio close to all the culture, the Metro, and the restaurants. A townhouse is a possible solution, but townhouses are expensive.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fresh out of college I had two job offers, one near DC, and one in CA. I was favoring the one near DC, but when I went to visit the site and spoke to the folks there doing what I would be doing, they all said, "you have the choice between California and here What are you thinking? Go!" And I did. And had a great time in California. One of the folks who had advised me to go west even came out and joined me a year or two later.

Though I have to say that were I forced to make the same choice now, I might well go for the DC-area job. Different strokes at different stages of life.

Realistically, of course, were the issue to come up now, my wife would probably get the decisive vote, as happened for Laurence. (And let's face it, that's how I ended up where I am now in the first place...)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
Yep, it's a single person's dream playland. Walk out from the apartment, and you have your choice of restaurants reviewed in the Washingtonian. No driving needed, but it would only work if you don't have kids because with kids, you can't live in a 1 BR or studio close to all the culture, the Metro, and the restaurants. A townhouse is a possible solution, but townhouses are expensive.
It can be a single person's dreamland (speaking as a former single living in D.C.), but it's a very cliquish town. Likewise, despite glowing reviews by Washingtonian magazine, most of the highly-rated restaurants I've tried from that publication weren't that great. The two main exceptions are Morton's and Ray's the Steaks. You can keep the "asian fusion", "modern French" and "interpretive Italian" thank you very much.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Fresh out of college I had two job offers, one near DC, and one in CA. I was favoring the one near DC, but when I went to visit the site and spoke to the folks there doing what I would be doing, they all said, "you have the choice between California and here What are you thinking? Go!" And I did. And had a great time in California. One of the folks who had advised me to go west even came out and joined me a year or two later.
Yeah, I did the California thing right out of grad school as well. For me, a born and bred Easterner, my image of California was one of Bay Watch and Road and Track. The Bay Watch thing needs no explanation. Road and Track used to do photo shoots on these perfectly paved California roads that are miles and miles of smooth, black ribbon stretching out into the golden foothills. Man, talk about a road cyclist's wet dream. Well, after getting to California (near where Cute Fuzzy Bunny now lives), I had to revise my preconceived notions. Bay Watch became Cow Watch. OK, the road biking part turned out rather well. There were tons of fun rides and races to do, and the roads and moutains were simply amazing, and I got to experience real skiing for a change, but a man cannot live simply on a diet of cycling and skiing.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
Bay Watch became Cow Watch. OK, the road biking part turned out rather well.
That explains the buns of veal
Old 08-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a semi-interesting tale of two different critical life choices:

My sister and I grew up in Alaska, but both of us went to college on the east coast.* When sister graduated college, she was obsessed with living the life of the urbane and sophisticated intelligentsia.* *So she moved to DC, and got started on a very big money/big prestige career path in consulting.* After 10 years, she was making piles of money, and regularly rubbing shoulders with smart, hip, powerful movers and shakers.* She also realized that she hated the traffic, hated being so far away from wilderness, and generally hated her career.* This has now led to massive upheaval in all aspects of her life.*

When I graduated law school, I had job offers in DC, but decided to take an offer in Salt Lake City instead.* I don't run in the same kinds of elite social circles that my sister did.* There aren't as many great restaurants here.* And I don't make as much money as I would have if I had taken a position in DC.* But genuine wilderness is easily accessible.* My commute to work is less than 10 minutes.* And I work literally hundreds of hours less than I would have to work at a DC firm.* And I still make plenty of money. And as a result, I'm happy with my situation and don't feel the need to upend every aspect of my life to be happy.

I often think that if my sister had chosen to live in a place that afforded a better work/life balance, she would not have had to quit her job, divorce her husband, and move back out west.