Join Early Retirement Today

From San Diego to D.C.?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

From San Diego to D.C.?

I got a call from an old colleage (He was my Boss 2 levels up) who is with a new company, located in the D.C. area, and he wanted to see if I would be interested in a position with his company, reporting directly to him, significantly higher up the food chain from where I am now, for about 40% more than I'm making now, at a minimum, and probably a lot more.

The problem? I live in San Diego. Now they would pay relocation, including "buying" my house from me and paying for the move, pay the real estate agent who sells me my new house, that type of thing. But when I called DW to see what she thought, her reaction was, well, underwhelming. She has good points, our family is all out here in San Diego, and Tori is going to need a lot of support structure. The only reason I can't stop thinking about it is this job is not only a big promotion/raise, it's along the right career path (Sigh). DW said ultimately she would support me, but I can tell I better have a great case for it. Any thoughts?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: From San Diego to D.C.?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm with DW. From what you've told us of your situation, I would think living near family would be very, very important. Other career opportunities will come along. (Plus, don't forget you're a weather wussy and would alternatively wilt and freeze in DC.)

But whatever decision you make, I'll support you.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I keep doing the math on how much quicker we'd get to ER....

It's probably best we stay put.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you decide on staying put, make sure to point out to your wife just how huge the sacrifice was, how long and immeasurably painful were the hours you racked your head, and that you've decided it would be best for her and the family if you stay put, but you think it's not entirely unfair to expect certain future considerations.......
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
If you decide on staying put, make sure to point out to your wife just how huge the sacrifice was, how long and immeasurably painful were the hours you racked your head, and that you've decided it would be best for her and the family if you stay put, but you think it's not entirely unfair to expect certain future considerations.......
Yeah, sure. Then be prepared to duck.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Pluses:

1. A good career move
2. Working for a nice person
3. Much more money
4. General satisfaction (?)

Minuses:

1. Family
2. Climate (humidity, hot/cold 60%+ of the time)
3. Traffic (not that San Diego is great, but DC can be VERY bad depending on the location)

Unknown:

1. Real estate in SD/DC over the next few years. May lose/gain >>$100K
2. Opportunity to travel on the opposite coast (how much do you like to travel?)
3. Schools - suburban MD/VA schools are generally very good, but is that a consideration?
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Things like this are always tempting but, obviously, you have a lot of things to consider.* On one hand, the career and earnings boost would be a plus but imagine getting settled in and figuring out you and your family don't like the area and miss San Diego.*

I would say if you and your wife, and especially your wife, are up for trying something different, exploring a different corner of the country and, ahem, acclimating to different weather conditions this could be a stimulating adventure.* It does sound like you've got a great life in SD, though.

I vote for whatever your wife votes for.*
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My aunt just made a similar move. She lived in DC for a zillion years and then her law firm transferred her to San Jose to clear up some problems in their office there. She lives in SJ for about 6-7 years but in the end she elected to move back. Her rationale was that she loved the climate in Cali, but she could better prepare financially for retirement by living in the DC area. Also, she said she met a lot of very nice people in CA, but almost nobody was as smart or interesting as the people she knew in DC.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it's been overcome by events a.k.a. the DW Veto!

"I was just sharing with you an opportunity that we have."

"And I am just sharing with you that it ain't gonna happen!"

Heck, she brings home almost as much after taxes as a consultant from home as I do being a salary man, I can't argue I'm the smarter one here! It was flattering, nonetheless.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...

Well, I guess if you got the VETO then you mind has been made up... (by someone else...)

But, I would bring it up if it is something you REALLY want... it sounds like a great opportunity and I bet the total rewards will be a lot more than you are saying... I also bet that you wife could do consulting work in the DC area if she is doing it in Cali....

The main difference is family... but like you said, it could take 10 years off of your working life if you save the difference between your current and future salary...

And this is just ME... but your wife not even discussing seems kind of closed minded..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, Laurence, I wouldn't even think about it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in the DC area and would not even consider moving here again. We are making a lot of money but living here is terrible. I am looking to move out west as soon as I can.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #13

If your wife really doesn't want to go then don't go. Divorce is very expensive aside from all the emotional issues.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #14

I guess I'll dissent and say "give it some thought". What if you and your family decided it was worth trying for a couple of years (to be fair to your hiring company), and then if you end up not liking it, cut bait and go back to SD. If you don't mind it, stay. In a few years, you may end up finding a job opening back in SD near family, and you can relocate (again).

The weather ain't that bad (spring and fall are very moderate in DC, and Tori will get to play in snow).

You'll be close to the Atlantic beaches, the appalachian mountains, and Philly/NY/Atlantic City for weekend visits.

Is the job in the DC burbs (MD or VA burbs)? Or downtown DC? Might affect quality of life in terms of commute and atmosphere.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #15

Sounds like the decision's made, but *FWIW my brother lives in the DC area, (Northern VA) and it sort of sucks. * *Very expensive, horrible traffic, hours of driving to get anywhere...

Considering that plus the family support structure you have there in SD, even if the decision making process was less than democratic, I'd have to say DW was right.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Well, DW started talking with me about it once I got home, I told her I thought she already said, "No" but she said she's trying to be open, since it would be a good career move for me. So we started house shopping (the job is in Virginia, but just outside the beltway - Tyson Corner?), and I found that any house that is within reasonable commute and as good as our current is at least as expensive as our current house. I started to get cold feet when I thought of all the events in the last year we were glad to have family to help with Tori. The decision maker, though, was talking to my (hopefully) future boss in the other department this morning, just to ask what his advice was on that job offer. His response (he knows the guy, everybody knows everybody in this industry) was along the lines of "That snake! Trying to steal our talent! Don't worry, I'll match that offer when the time comes.".

Yeah, I know, bird in the hand, that's not in writing, but the cumulative effect of all this makes me want to stay. DW now says I'm just doing it because of her initial reaction. Maybe I'll say, "O.K., honey, we'll stay, but I'm making a sacrifice for you...." 8)

Thanks everyone for the responses, I know I probably give you guys too much detail on day to day activities, I think I won't have any more career news until ~April next year.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
the job is in Virginia, but just outside the beltway - Tyson Corner?
Yes, Tysons Corner. For better or for worse, you would be right next to one of the biggest malls in the country. You would also be right smack in the middle of one of the most congested asphalt-and-concrete jungles in the country
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #18

Re: housing - I guess you know northern VA is one of those areas where you can buy a dinky little 3 BR house way out for a $3000-3500/month mortgage payment or rent a townhome/condo much closer in for half that amount.

A work buddy just turned down "the offer too good to refuse" for N. Va just because owning a house there is at least 2x what it is here, with a longer commute (there goes the extra pay!).

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I think I won't have any more career news until ~April next year.
heh heh heh. Well, as the Norwegian Widow said to De Gaulle, "Charlie, you're full of it."

(Translation: Wanna bet?)

Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Charlie was an optimist.

heh heh heh heh - post Katrina - I kinda miss talk about the big buck Iraq jobs at the old doughnut shop.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote