Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Not in a wet climate. The 'good old guys' who really knew how to apply stucco did a great job but most have passed away. The building envelope failures that I have heard about are often stucco, or stucco looking applications.
Give me cementitious lap siding over tar paper or one of the better building wraps, on plywood underlayment, any day.
Was stucco ever intended for a damp climate?

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I share your opinion. You wouldn't happen to also be an engineer, would you?
Yes, you've got me pegged. EE (computers)

Oh and I don't know if the buyer was and engineer, but he was an older fellow whose realtor son lived in the neighborhood (so his commission got knocked off the selling price) and it was indeed an all cash deal. We closed in 10 days and the house had been on the market less than a week. Good thing we had already removed everything from the house except for the "staging" furniture.

audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Was stucco ever intended for a damp climate?
I grew up in Ireland where the climate is like the Pacific NW and most houses are stucco. However, underneath the stucco, there's concrete block, brick or stone. The stucco stays on. But the houses and their occupants tend to be damp unless well heated.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...
EIFS is what some builders have been using in recent years. It takes skilled applicators and maintance of the weep-holes. It can be done right but in my observation the odds are against you.
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
Everybody likes thread updates, right?

We closed on the stucco house in early May. We closed on our old house the following week. We rented a truck and moved just about everything (with the help of half a dozen friends) in a day.

Getting the old house ready to go was a pain in the posterior. We ended up hiring a painter to paint 4 rooms. We had the floor replaced in the kitchen and laundry room (really needed it). The carpet in the family room was replaced, I replaced the storm door, and a number of other niggling things were fixed. We rented a 10'x10' storage area and moved our overflow there to declutter for showing the house.

Once all of that was done, the house looked much nicer. And we still didn't want to live there. The process of having the house shown was a bit of a hassle, having to clear out of the house for hours at a time. We had a couple of nibbles early on, though those faded away. The feedback we got was that there was still too much to be done to the house. After about a month on the market we got an offer, countered, and eventually settled on a price.

We got the new house at a price lower than we were prepared to pay, which kind of offset selling the old one for slightly less than we'd hoped.
I might have the ugly numbers at some point, but I think we probably put in nearly $10k into the old house for fixups, including a couple of things that showed up in inspection. Nearly $20k for real estate agent fees. $9k in title transfers, and a few more thousand in various mortgage fees and stuff. This is why you don't buy a house and then sell it after just a couple of years.

Property taxes are much higher here, though we're having our rate appealed. Lawnmowing is slightly more expensive. We had a huge 10 kW solar array installed on the roof last month, so that'll significantly reduce our utility bills and also pay us cash though SRECs (Solar Renewable Energy Credits), though propane heating won't be cheap.

We do not regret our decision in the slightest. We've been in the house for over two months now and while there are still a number of things yet to be done, we do love the house. Hopefully (at age 36) this is the last home we buy.

Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote