Join Early Retirement Today

Fun Semi-Retirement Jobs
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Fun Semi-Retirement Jobs

I'm trying to tally up some great ideas for fun retirement jobs. Since I like taking photographs, one idea is to sell photos online through iStockPhoto or DreamTimes. My wife loves animals, so another one might be dog walking or pet sitting.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Fun Semi-Retirement Jobs
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fun and job is an oxymoron. Retirement and job is an oxymoron. But can you put all three together as an oxymoron? Fun, retirement and job is an oxymoron? Any English majors out there?

Oh yeah...... Jungle Guy go ahead and do what ya want during your retirement........ It is your retirement! But try to call it a hobby or activity or what ya did between breakfast and bed time. But please don't call it "fun, retirement and a job in the same sentence.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Fun and job is an oxymoron. Retirement and job is an oxymoron. But can you put all three together as an oxymoron? Fun, retirement and job is an oxymoron? Any English majors out there?

Oh yeah...... Jungle Guy go ahead and do what ya want during your retirement........ It is your retirement! But try to call it a hobby or activity or what ya did between breakfast and bed time. But please don't call it "fun, retirement and a job in the same sentence.
Apparently, you did not read the "secret retirement" post. Job is a code word!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
Job is a code word!
Oh! Sorry! I gotta catch up on my reading.......

Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Look at www.coolworks.com. They have some cool jobs.

I'd love to volunteer or work at a national park where you get to live in the park.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

does selling things on ebay count? I know a number of retired folks that sell on ebay, from their (gently) used books & dvds, to craft supplies, art that they make, or vintage clothing/dishes/furniture purchased for pennies @ garage/estate sales.

I absolutely plan to do that. In fact, if I ever get my act together, I'd do something a bit more organized *now* to fund my retirement kitty faster. I currently do sell most of my books at half.com (which I also *bought* @ half.com - ha ha!). But that's more to hold down clutter & kind of break-even with my book-buying habit, than to make money.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Assuming you don't need money, one of the funnest jobs I ever had was working in theatre backstage. I liked acting, but that was a lot of pressure (and terrifying on opening night - I was always sure I would forget all my lines and stand there like a turkey on Thanksgiving). But backstage was a riot. Often hard work, but I looked forward to showing up and pitching in.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #8

My father is helping his small town relocate and restore an 18th century barn...but I guess it's not a job, since he's volunteering (through the historical society).
Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey
Look at www.coolworks.com. They have some cool jobs.

I'd love to volunteer or work at a national park where you get to live in the park.
Working as a front desk clerk in a lodge at Denali National Park in Alaska in summer 2003 was the most physically demanding job I've ever had. I had no energy left to enjoy hiking. My legs ached and my feet became so painful I couldn't walk. Standing all day is the pits!

Some of the older workers worked in the gift shop where they could sit down all day but they about died of boredom. Most places won't let you sit down anyway. One of the better jobs was driving a van around and around the loop, taking guests back and forth to various locations. All the other jobs (clerking, waitressing, cleaning, cooking) were physically very very demanding.

The supervisors were younger, much younger, and didn't have much sympathy for older workers. Also, many of the workers were from eastern bloc countries which made things interesting, but they were used to working at killer jobs, which made us American "slobs" look bad.

In short, I would not call any seasonal work at the national parks a "fun" job at all! But volunteering could be a nice short term gig.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sure not many people would agree with me, but I think it would be a lot of fun to sample a variety of different blue collar jobs. I'd like to learn to be a truck driver, for example. Working, say, 20 hours a week for a year or two driving a truck could be interesting. Or operating heavy equipment. I've fantasized about driving bulldozers and dumptrucks since I was about 4 years old! So that could be fun for a year or so.

If I could get a job doing demolitions work, preferably operating a wrecking ball, now that would be the ultimate job!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I'm sure not many people would agree with me, but I think it would be a lot of fun to sample a variety of different blue collar jobs. I'd like to learn to be a truck driver, for example. Working, say, 20 hours a week for a year or two driving a truck could be interesting. Or operating heavy equipment. I've fantasized about driving bulldozers and dumptrucks since I was about 4 years old! So that could be fun for a year or so.

If I could get a job doing demolitions work, preferably operating a wrecking ball, now that would be the ultimate job!
Truck driving sounds boring to me, but I wouldn't mind the bulldozers. Yah! I'll add that to my list.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

I think it would be fun to sample some part-time jobs that require little training (not so much truck driver or heavy machine operator). Something along the lines of librarian, bartender, dog day care provider, receptionist, meter reader, postal worker or service vending machines.

We have a coffee service at work where a guy comes and stocks the coffe and supplies and cleans the pots, etc. There actually a guy that comes once a week to inspect the job of the guy that does the stocking of coffee and cleaning the pots. That's the job I want.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #13

Ranger/Ambassador at a local Golf Course. put in 2 easy days a week = free unlimited golf and range balls. Not a bad deal if you like Golf.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
Assuming you don't need money, one of the funnest jobs I ever had was working in theatre backstage. I liked acting, but that was a lot of pressure (and terrifying on opening night - I was always sure I would forget all my lines and stand there like a turkey on Thanksgiving). But backstage was a riot. Often hard work, but I looked forward to showing up and pitching in.
I work backstage for community theatres for about 3 years in my 20's. It was
my attempt to socialize (I am anti-social by default) and meet the kind of
people I would never meet programming. It was alot of work, but alot of
fun. The parties were outrageous, and the people fascinating.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 PM   #15

A few ideas:

Work in community/government service
Become a candidate in local elections (school board, zoning board, town council, coroner, etc.)
Work at the polls as part of the Election Board
Work concessions, security, or taking tickets at festivals, civic performance, or sports events
Work for your local Irrigation Board
Be a seasonal or part time Park Service worker
Start a small business
Start a community Newsletter
Do landscaping or yard work
Start a used bookstore
Buy a suitable property and build a hotel/apartment or store
Collect and sell antiques
Head a small non-profit organization
Run a Laundromat
Be a home inspector
Be a Finanical Advisor
Be a Web Page Designer
Start a computer repair business
Be an author
Write a book
Write freelance articles for newspapers and magazines
Be an artist
Learn woodworking or metalworking and create sculpture
Play an instrument in a band
Consult/Technical
Invent a device and obtain a patent
Solve a company’s current technical or manufacturing problem
Serve as an interim executive
Teach
Become a substitute teacher in nearby school districts
Become a tutor, bus driver or crossing guard
Teach courses at local colleges or junior colleges
Develop short courses in your field of expertise
Get trained for specialized temporary employment
Be a Tax Preparer
Be a temporary office worker
Be a member of a campaign team
Work for a special events security team
Be a fitness advisor
Become a tour leader (hiking, cycling, fishing, climbing, hunting)
Work at a museum or gallery
Be a real estate agent
Be a landlord
Take a job in a local store
Become a clothing store salesperson
Sell power tools
Sell sporting goods
Work in a home improvement outlet
Take up a trade skill
Build custom cabinets
Become a handyman
Make and sell jewelry
Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, these are all great ideas! It would be so fun to just dabble in all these different jobs for a few months, quitting whenever you got bored.

Once I'm FIREd, I'll do just that. Just another 17 years to go...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
I'm sure not many people would agree with me, but I think it would be a lot of fun to sample a variety of different blue collar jobs. I'd like to learn to be a truck driver, for example.
For a good description of what you are dreaming about, one sailing couple living aboard did just that, their blog is pretty entertaining:
short summary about why they considered truck driving: http://www.tendervittles.net/logs/jan2004/011604.html
CDL school description: http://www.tendervittles.net/logs/dec2003/120903.html
And few months of earning cash afterwards: http://www.tendervittles.net/logs/feb2004/020104.html

Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyBear
I think it would be fun to sample some part-time jobs that require little training (not so much truck driver or heavy machine operator). Something along the lines of librarian,
"Most professional-level librarian positions require an American Library Association (ALA)–accredited master’s degree in library and information science (variously referred to as an MLS, MLIS, MSIS, MSLS, MA in LIS, MS in LIS, or MIS, depending on the name of the degree at the school you choose)."

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA605244.html

That said, your local library would probably love to have you as a library assistant or volunteer!

http://www.becomealibrarian.org/#What%20A%20Librarian%20Does

Okay, public service announcement over, back to the FIRE chat. :-)
OKLibrarian, MLIS
Old 04-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
For a good description of what you are dreaming about, one sailing couple living aboard did just that, their blog is pretty entertaining:
short summary about why they considered truck driving: http://www.tendervittles.net/logs/jan2004/011604.html
CDL school description: http://www.tendervittles.net/logs/dec2003/120903.html
And few months of earning cash afterwards: http://www.tendervittles.net/logs/feb2004/020104.html
Hey thanks for these links. I've been having fun perusing what it would be like to be an over-educated truck driver.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've been having fun perusing what it would be like to be an over-educated truck driver.
It reminds me of Dilbert's janitor...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote