Join Early Retirement Today

Re: GE corporate audit staff?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I noticed this thread and saw many poeple with direct experience with GE. I have until December 15th to make a decision. Yes, 9 days! Here is the scenario:

I recently received an Offer from GE- Commercial Finance for a position as an Investment Analyst. I wanted to know what you all felt about this position and program specifically. How does it stack up with FMP? I looked at both programs before I showed interest and chose to go after only one and that was the IA program. Has anyone been involved with the program or heard anything about it. The pay is somewhat lower than expected, but that is not my top priority out of college.

Also, what is the career path like. On the GE site it is listed as: "IA-> In-Charge analyst-> Business Analyst-> underwriter-> Underwriting/Marketing VP"

However I am not interested in Underwriting what-so-ever. Also, this program is listed as a Commercial Lending Leadership Development Program. However, I wanted to know how reputable this program would be and if it would be considered "formal training". I have an offer from LaSalle Bank for their Commercial Leadership Development Program as a credit analyst. I also have an offer from JPMorgan as an analyst for Private Client Services. I would like to know how you all would rank these and what you all thought would provide me with the best opportunities in the future. I know that ultimately it boils down to what I would be happier doing and what I am most interested in. Thanks for your help!

ps. Those of you that work for GE, or have worked for GE in the past. ANY words of advice would be great.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

How realistic is the possibility of moving into CAS after an engineering role with GE? I have seen the percentage of non-FMP personnel is around 25%.

Obviously engineers can get to the top of GE (Jack Welch...). Is CAS still an optimal path, or even feasible? If it is possible, where do those engineers typically come from (what company etc)

Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

I am an engineer looking to get on the GE CAS. So I spoke to an executive audit manager the other day and got some statistics. Here is my general impression -

80% of the people do come from a finance background; and most of those come from teh FMP program. But the other 20% are a mixture of non-FMP people and many of them come into the CAS from some type of leadership development program. But this is not a necessity, nor a requirement.

It is very possible to get onto the audit staff under your own steam as an engineer - that is my goal at least. The toughest part is getting the sign off. You need some pretty higher up (CFO of your division) to sign off on your applciation as well as a business manager, the GM of your division, etc. Once you have those, and you have top 10% of the talent pool and are differntiating yourself you can apply to the program.

At this point, it appears that everyone who has gone through the process and applies gets to go on the Pilot program which is a month long and will give you a taste. Once you finish that you get to move on (should you choose) to full time 2 year commitment to audit staff.

It is 100% travel, but not really. You are living somewhere new every 4 months, but you stay in once place for hte most part. They pay for you to come home very 2 weeks for the weekend (so relationships are basically long distance) but everything you do is T&L so you don't really pay for much.

I liken the CAs to a GE MBA. Because Ge is so big you might be working on a finance company one month and an infratructure/hardware company the month after that. so it gives you a very diverse background. I am not sure how "sale"-able the audit staff is for outside type work - so if I go through CAS with GE and then wnat a job outside i don't know how favorably companies will look on audit staff as compared to an actual MBA. But if you can do it, it will catapult you through GE very quickly.

The quote I got is that every year you stay in Audit staff is another 3 years off your career path.

Hope that helps;

cd
Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

has this thread been invaded by the GE HR department? :P
Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was just thinking about bringing up my refrigerator again.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #26

I am interested in the GE CAS program and I am also interested in getting my MBA and CPA while doing it. Can someone please explain how this works?

I know that I could do a part time MBA.

However, for a CPA, don't I need enough accounting units in school and work experience in an accounting firm? Or, do you take classes when you on in CAS that counts towards your CPA? In addition, do the hours you spend in CAS qualify for CPA accounting work hours?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Is this correct - 6,432 views of this thread? Why?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Is this correct - 6,432 views of this thread? Why?
This thread's been kicking around for over two years.

Or maybe this is the hottest place on the Internet to find GE CAS jobs...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
I am interested in the GE CAS program and I am also interested in getting my MBA and CPA while doing it. Can someone please explain how this works?
Doing either an MBA or a CPA during CAS is impossible. Doing both is laughable. If you already had the required accounting credit hours and had passed the CPA exam, you could probably use CAS to fulfill the work experience requirement to become a fullly licensed CPA. However, I believe the CPA requires you to work under a CPA, and you may not always have that option on CAS (I would guess that the majority of CAS'ers do not have a CPA).
Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I was just thinking about bringing up my refrigerator again.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Or maybe this is the hottest place on the Internet to find GE CAS jobs...
Funnily enough, if you google "ge corporate audit staff" this thread comes up #1 in the results, and GE's own offical HR page for CAS comes up #2. The irony is delicious...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussy View Post
I started my career on GE's FMP program and after completing that and having a regular GE job for a few years I joined CAS. This was in the mid 1990's. It was one of the best experiences of my life. The current CAS associate gave a pretty good summary of the pros and cons. One other important thing to know is that to even get accepted onto the program, you'll have to complete a one month pilot, which is basically one a one month assignment/interview where you travel with an audit staff team, learn first hand what they live like and what they do. They will see through you right away if you are there for monetary reasons alone. That is not what they want. This is by no means an easy program to be accepted to nor to stay on. The feedback is honest, frequent and, in my experience, fair. Promotions are a true weeding out process and not for the weak-hearted. That said, it is exhilarating for the bright and inquisitive mind and an unparalleled program for someone wanting to catapult their career. This is the fast track to becoming a leader at GE, not to a quick retirement. Good luck with your decision.
This person is either trying to imitate or actually is Charlene Begley.
BW Online | July 28, 2003 | Crashing GE's Glass Ceiling

interesting.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #33

Corporate Audit Staff in GE: 2009 Assessment Day (Final interviews)

Hello All,
Was searching for some valuable information on what the assessment day for CAS looks like and ran into this thread. Can anyone asssist please with the peculiarities.... what to expect and all? The assessment day is sometime later this month and I believe this is a fantastic oppotunity I don't want to miss out on.

Regards
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #34

CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS View Post
I've been GE's Corporate Audit Staff (CAS) for 2 years. It's really an extension of FMP. Do you like what you're working on now? As a CAS associate, you'll be doing very similar things except you look at financial cycles from a control perspective similar to Sarbanes Oxley.

For starters, I've really enjoyed my experience. Here are my pros and cons...

PROS:
In 2 years, I have 13 countries under my belt in Europe, Asia and North America. I've met the most amazing people from all over the world that I would've never had the chance to meet in any other job. I work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. They challenge you to improve your critical thinking. I have saved a good chunk of change.

CONS:
You will work long hours. However, if you are efficient and prioritize appropriately the hours become significantly reduced. You may not always get along with the people you're working and living with. Again, reviews are only 4 months long so the end is always right around the corner. If you are open about meeting new people with a variety of backgrounds and personalities, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

I recommend talking to an associate who's auditing your business for more insight.

Best of luck on whatever decision you make. FMP is a great stepping stone.

Does anyone know what is the average salary of a CAS? I was invited to assessment day with GE, and think working with GE would be great for my career, but I have other propositions and the best to compare them it's financially.

I would appreciate if someone could answer that...
Old 04-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

JRock, the post you quoted is five years old and the poster hasn't been heard from since.

Not sure how our Early Retirement forum became a clearing house for GE CAS employment information, but I do know we're failing miserably at it!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Assessment day
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #36

Assessment day

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus247 View Post
Hello All,
Was searching for some valuable information on what the assessment day for CAS looks like and ran into this thread. Can anyone asssist please with the peculiarities.... what to expect and all? The assessment day is sometime later this month and I believe this is a fantastic oppotunity I don't want to miss out on.

Regards

Hello Focus247,

How did it go? I hope you have succeed...

Right now I am in same situation has you did, and I wonder if could give valuable information about the assessment day...thank you
Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
JRock, the post you quoted is five years old and the poster hasn't been heard from since.

Not sure how our Early Retirement forum became a clearing house for GE CAS employment information, but I do know we're failing miserably at it!
I am sure you are right, but I already know nothing, so I do not have much to lose.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #38

Man, those little Google spiders sure are good about rooting stuff out. This thread is #4 on the hit list for "GE CAS".

JROCK - focus247 joined this forum six months ago, posted once and has never signed on since then. Might we suggest you search elsewhere?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just another victim of SEO who didn't take the time to assess the value of the results.

As for GE, the lack of information on the program (let alone any positive endorsements!) appears to speak volumes about the program...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock View Post
Does anyone know what is the average salary of a CAS? I was invited to assessment day with GE, and think working with GE would be great for my career, but I have other propositions and the best to compare them it's financially.

I would appreciate if someone could answer that...
Hi JRock,
Started CAS in January, and actually saw your post, but was too 'busy' to reply... This should at least give you a clue on the rigours of the programme.

SO far its been great, though tough and challenging.. been all over u.s and europe in the last 5 months. Hope you got to accept the offer.

Well, anyone joining CAS should be breced for the challenged. Definately not for the fainthearted.. be ready for fire drills at short notice, think and speak intelligently at all times (even when you cant see value in what you are doing), stay close to your computer 24.7 and be ready to hit the ground from day 1!... Your typical week-day is in 2 folds:

8am to 8pm

and then 9pm to 2am

Seriously.. no exageratting

and be prepared to work from 3pm-12pm on sundays.

For the salary, depends on where you're hired from, but dont think it'll be less then $40,000 a year..

But once you can come out of this alive, you'll be earning good cash, and handling a leadership role.. so not a bad 2 year sacrifice for the reward it promises..