Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
Also the military is not an option for creative types.
FWIW, I dislike authority and have never been one to 'drink the company cool aid' … but I served quite a few years in the navy without any real difficulty. Like any large organization, the military has room for diverse personalities.

The OP might or might not enjoy serving: I can't say. I do feel comfortable in suggesting that s/he would be ill-advised to rule it out (especially a short-term contract that would allow him or her time to mature and consider options) merely because of the above categorical statement, which is based upon no more than ignorant prejudice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
The lack of a bachelor's degree will significantly compromise your ability to obtain well-paying work for however long you need to work. And obtaining a well-paying job is one of the keys for most early retirees.
Maybe. But I note that a lot of bachelor's degrees - especially in the humanities and social sciences - are very worthy but do little if anything to enhance income-earning potential, and have considerable financial and opportunity costs (see generally don't major in the arts). Recall also that some 'blue collar' skilled trade jobs are relatively well-paying and that small business ownership can be a route to financial independence (see generally The Millionaire Next Door).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Recognize that most young people your age don't have a clue as to what they would like to do. You're not alone.

Recognize that most jobs, for most people, are tolerable but not wonderful. Pretty much every job has its good parts and and its bad parts. There is no perfect job. And even good jobs come with "the grind" - the necessity to get up every morning and go in, whether you feel like it or not. "The grind" was, for me, the worst part about working.

Beyond that, it's mostly a matter of establishing a very low expense footprint - which is directly related to minimizing debt - and maximizing your savings rate. To retire in your 30's, especially, absent remarkable luck, requires an extremely aggressive savings outlook.

Finally, don't not enjoy life as it rolls along. Some of the things a young adult is faced with - connecting with a partner, having children, establishing a home, etc. - are often very counter to being able to retire early. But they also hold much of what makes life worth living, so don't dismiss them out of hand.
I endorse all of the above.

My advice, ComradeKitty, would be to spend the next year pursuing opportunities to 'shadow' people working in various occupations for one or two days, so that you can get at least some sense of what the work entails, the opportunities for vacations - sometimes much more apparent than real! - and so on. Failing that, set up brief 'coffee meetings' to talk to such people. If you go about this in a proper and respectful way, you'll find that many older workers are happy to speak candidly to someone your age and are rather flattered to be asked for advice. And if nothing else, 12 months of working in retail full-time will probably motivate you to work hard in college, assuming you decide to take that route.

P.S. May be of interest: 18 Things I Wish Someone Told Me When I Was 18. A few of the tips are trite and superficial, but others are worth considering (e.g., # 1, 11, 14, 15, 16).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeKitty View Post
So, with that in mind, I have become determined to retire in my 30's and live a life of financial independence. I have already begun the frugal part of this lifestyle. I recently moved out of my parents house and live with roommates in a small house. My total monthly budget is currently $1000.
Best of luck to you on whatever path you take! Since you want to retire in your 30's, this will of course require a combination of both aggressive savings and frugal living. But is your plan to live frugally now, continue this while you save, and then retire living the same spartan lifestyle? There's nothing wrong with living on the cheap, but you're young and living cheaply could very well not continue to be so easy depending upon where life leads you. Maybe you'll fall in love, get married and have a couple kids. That's what happened to me and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Of course maybe you'll stay single, and that's fine also. My point is that as you get older, what you want might change and you may find yourself needing to support a lifestyle that doesn't allow for a mid-thirties retirement...but it sure doesn't hurt to have this goal!
gowgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

You have a great objective, can you do it?

Try following in the footsteps of those who have. Some examples are:
1) Christina Onassis
2) Bill Gates
3) Steve Jobs
4) Pablo Escobar
5) Heidi Fleiss
6) Al Capone
7) Sergey Sudev
8) Zsolt and Geza Peladi
9) Angeliki Frangou

If you don't recognize the above, google is your friend

If not, find a career you like. In reality mode, you are likeley to have to work at least 30 years before enjoying another 30 to 40 years of happy sloth. If you are going to be a wage slave for 20+ years, you might as well be in an occupation you don't hate.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote