Join Early Retirement Today

Give life to your dreams
Old 09-14-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Give life to your dreams

I read this site every morning. It help me along my path to RE.
http://greatday.com/

Today's message resonates with me. Whenever I thing about RE it is like being in a dream. I feel like I have been inprisoned my whole life and now all the doors to the prison have opened. I stand in my cell afraid to venture out into the world. My cell is so comfortable and my routine so secure. I know that I need to move my feet and take one step and the others will be a bit easier. I know there is sunlight and happiness outside the prision but I have never experienced it. In the prision is the forced routine and people I know.

At times I can see myself outside the prison riding a bicycle and the prisoners still inside chide me - get a horse, get a car. I know they are still inside the prision because they need those things.

Fear and doubt steal your my happiness on my travels to RE. I will need to leave them in my cell.

Give life to your dreams
How many times have you told yourself that you can't? How many times have you put your most treasured dreams aside and sought refuge in flimsy excuses?

You deserve much better. Your dreams are yours for a very good reason and they deserve to be given life.

Yes, you do have those dreams, though you may have chosen to hide them even from yourself. And yes, you can make them real.

Stop being so busy posing for the world and take a moment to remember the things that are truly important to you. Those things point, clearly and directly, to your most valuable dreams.

Is it frivolous and selfish to follow those dreams? No, what is truly selfish would be to keep them forever hidden from life.

There is so very much you have to give by being the best of who you are. And the more of it you give, the more real fulfillment you will know.

Give life to your dreams. And give your dreams to life.

-- Ralph Marston
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Give life to your dreams
Old 09-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I find the outlook in the writings on this site to be refreshingly positive: http://vagabonders-supreme.net/

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That guy is a kick! Thanks for the link Brewer, I put him in my favorites.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #4

Bummer -- I just missed MsTioga and George, since they went through our town last week!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
That guy is a kick!* Thanks for the link Brewer,* I put him in my favorites.
You're welcome. I am not nearly as sunny a person as George, especially as it gets greyer outside, so it helps to read something from a positive person who is genuine once in a while.

- George Orwell

Old 09-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Did you ever have the experince where what someone is writting resonates with you to your core at the place where you are right now? The last two days of writting from the site below has.

OK this is the last time I will copy a quote from this site.

Face life
Fear is often much more destructive than that which is feared. Anxiety can often be far more harmful than those things about which you are anxious.

Avoiding effort can be more difficult and time-consuming than the effort itself. Worrying about a negative situation is usually more prolonged and painful than experiencing the situation itself.

Life is best when you face it directly. Your efforts are far more effective when they don't have to push through layers of denial, avoidance and anxiety.

When something must be said, stand up and say it. When something needs to be done, get busy and do it.

It can be tempting to put tasks off until later, or to think that problems will just go away, or to hope that some magical occurrence will fulfill your desires. Yet the truth is that the real fulfillment in life comes from putting all of yourself into the living of it.

So go ahead and face that fear, make that effort, move forward into new territory and fully live the grand possibilities with which you're blessed. Boldly face life, and you'll find it to be better than you ever imagined.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 09-15-2005, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Did you ever have the experince where what someone is writting resonates with you to your core at the place where you are right now?* The last two days of writting from the site below has.

OK this is the last time I will copy a quote from this site.

Face life
Fear is often much more destructive than that which is feared. Anxiety can often be far more harmful than those things about which you are anxious.

Avoiding effort can be more difficult and time-consuming than the effort itself. Worrying about a negative situation is usually more prolonged and painful than experiencing the situation itself.

Life is best when you face it directly. Your efforts are far more effective when they don't have to push through layers of denial, avoidance and anxiety.

When something must be said, stand up and say it. When something needs to be done, get busy and do it.

It can be tempting to put tasks off until later, or to think that problems will just go away, or to hope that some magical occurrence will fulfill your desires. Yet the truth is that the real fulfillment in life comes from putting all of yourself into the living of it.

So go ahead and face that fear, make that effort, move forward into new territory and fully live the grand possibilities with which you're blessed. Boldly face life, and you'll find it to be better than you ever imagined.

-- Ralph Marston
Hey dex, that is good stuff! One I like ( the same vein) is
"Most of what we worry about never happens."

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer,

Thanks for sharing* http://vagabonders-supreme.net/*

It's a great site.

I have an RV that's very similar to his. His travels are inspiring me to get out and see more of the world.

I love the whole "boondocking" aspect. I have been semi-joking with my wife about trying it.

John
Old 09-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Excuse me, but a guy who spends his life travelling ("boondocking") alone, keeping and online diary and giving all his "team members" cute little names is a bit pathetic strange.

His travelling companions include "Ms. Tioga", "Mr. Chips", "Mr. Levelers", and "Miss Soni Mavica", and my personal favorite, "Mr. Onan"! He named the refrigerator ("Mr. Dometic") but thankfully doesn't reveal the name of his toilet or underwear.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, Brewer.* Thanks for the link, even though I think I would get lonely with an RV lifestyle.* I would miss my books, friends, and even my wild and wooly, weedy garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlw
I love the whole "boondocking" aspect.* I have been semi-joking with my wife about trying it.
Trivia:* "boondocks" is from Tagalog (major Filipino dialect on which Filipino language is based).* Merriam-Webster defines it as:
1 : rough country filled with dense brush
2 : a rural area : sticks

The Tagalog word is "bundok" meaning mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Face life

I like the "Face Life" quote. *Problems get so big sometimes in my mind, but I find that the step-by-step solution is not so bad, just like projects at work. *Sometimes, I am afraid to start because a task seems so big and I don't know all the steps that need to be taken, but when I delve in, options come because I understand the problem better and can switch and try something that might better help.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I find the outlook in the writings on this site to be refreshingly positive: http://vagabonders-supreme.net/*
I'm also adding this to my favorite websites. *Reminds me of the story of Dick Proeneke http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/out...dproenneke.htm
Old 09-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Excuse me, but a guy who spends his life travelling ("boondocking") alone, keeping and online diary and giving all his "team members" cute little names is a bit pathetic strange.
He is unique. If you dig into the site, he talks about his bi-polar disorder, and depression, and how he is challenged by learning to get along with people - and how pointless the whole rv-ing alone experience seemed until he started posting his travels and feeling that his information was useful to other people... sounds to me like a guy who's had a hard time in life and has finally found a niche... albeit a unique one... that he fits into. I admire his attitude.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
He is unique.* If you dig into the site, he talks about his bi-polar disorder, and depression, and how he is challenged by learning to get along with people - and how pointless the whole rv-ing alone experience seemed until he started posting his travels and feeling that his information was useful to other people... sounds to me like a guy who's had a hard time in life and has finally found a niche... albeit a unique one...* that he fits into.* I admire his attitude.
I also read that he bought the RV and started travelling the day he got the all-clear on fighting a major cancer. Assuming I survived such a thing, I doubt I would be as sunny as he seems to be.

But yeah, I snicker every time I see the name of the premier manufacturer of generators.

- George Orwell

Old 09-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345

But yeah, I snicker every time I see the name of the premier manufacturer of generators.
I thought I was the only one who did that.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to Dex and Brewer for the links. I added both to my favorite list. Although the RV lifestyle looks intriguing, my travels in retirement will include the nearest Holiday Inn.*