Join Early Retirement Today

Good Debt vs Bad Debt
Old 09-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Good Debt vs Bad Debt

Ready...GO!

Your perspective...

http://www.cambridgeadvisors.com/con...b/goodbaddebt/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Let's not go there again!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Let's not go there again!

We all know how we feel about rent vs own and mortgage vs no debt. The article does nothing but dump high-octane gasoline on the smoldering embers of this eternal reciprocated diatribe.

Having said that, we're about to refinance our mortgage from 6.125% to 5.5. It's the third one (on this house) in four years. It'll cost about $1500 and the payback is less than a year. The money is invested in a small-cap index ETF (S&P 600/Barra Small-cap Value-- IJS). I'll pay the mortgage out of my pension cashflow and we'll be keeping our retirement portfolio withdrawal rate under 4%.

I'll be 74 when it's paid off!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Let's not go there again!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #3

Re: Let's not go there again!

Quote:
We all know how we feel about rent vs own and mortgage vs no debt. *The article does nothing but dump high-octane gasoline on the smoldering embers of this eternal reciprocated diatribe.

Having said that, we're about to refinance our mortgage from 6.125% to 5.5. *It's the third one (on this house) in four years. *It'll cost about $1500 and the payback is less than a year. *The money is invested in a small-cap index ETF (S&P 600/Barra Small-cap Value-- IJS). *I'll pay the mortgage out of my pension cashflow and we'll be keeping our retirement portfolio withdrawal rate under 4%.

I'll be 74 when it's paid off!
Well,

there is man putting his money where his mouth is! *- I did wimp out and pay off my 5.25% mortgage! - Wabmester and ***** both seem to think we are in for tougher times than that - and that it will be tough to get 5.5%. But, I really do hope you are correct and we all get returns better than this, as I am still 60% in stocks.

I am somewhat in between, in that I am hoping for a 2.5% to 3% real return in stock/bonds over the next 20-30 years, but right now I would wimp out and take a 5.5% return over the short term. :)
Old 09-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #4

Re: Good Debt vs Bad Debt

I have no mortgages on anything, and I don't expect
to see 74. Now, this is important. Neither my spouse
nor I plan to be here for very long (it's just our mindset). However, I allow for the possibility that we might be around for a long time.
Our idea is to live like you might die tomorrow but
allow for the scenario that you may live to 100.
Anyway, I know that psychologically I am better off with
no mortgages. 50% of my net worth is in real estate,
all unencumbered. I need to preserve that.

John Galt
Old 09-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

My thoughts?

Over the past 70 years, the stock market has increased an average of 11% per year.

Thats as far as I had to read in the article to know the author has nothing to say of any real significance....
Old 09-12-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My perspective was that its the standard advise we've all heard..... and yes, i agreed with all of it. Was nothing revolutionary though.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, here's another salient stat for you.

During the course of the past 43 years, I've never dropped dead or fathered a child.

Therefore, I should conceivably last forever, childless.

Oops.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Your perspective...
There does not appear to be much value in discussing mortgage and debt on these boards.