Join Early Retirement Today

Good Early Retirement book?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good Early Retirement book?

A long time ago I read Early Retirement for Dummies was OK but I am wondering if there is a good book similar to this or with more up to date info since the book I read was probably 8-10 years ago.
rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai-zero View Post
A long time ago I read Early Retirement for Dummies was OK but I am wondering if there is a good book similar to this or with more up to date info since the book I read was probably 8-10 years ago.
You may want to look at Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More", which is as much about early retirement as it is about "Semi-Retirement"...

Amazon.com: Work Less, Live More

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree, Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More" is about the best there is...

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been meaning to ask... I saw in another thread that he has a new edition out or coming out. Is that the one on Amazon now or is it due soon?

I'm pressing the buy button as soon as I know I can get the latest edition.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I've been meaning to ask... I saw in another thread that he has a new edition out or coming out. Is that the one on Amazon now or is it due soon?

I'm pressing the buy button as soon as I know I can get the latest edition.
At the link above you'll note it is the 2nd edition and the date of publication is September 30, 2007. I ordered a couple of weeks ago and also purchased the companion workbook and CD. The combo price is only $25.82...

Amazon.com: The Work Less, Live More Workbook (with CD-Rom)

Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
You may want to look at Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More", which is as much about early retirement as it is about "Semi-Retirement"...

Amazon.com: Work Less, Live More
thanks but what is semi-retirement?

does that mean people should work during retirement?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
thanks but what is semi-retirement?

does that mean people should work during retirement?
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...96&postcount=4

Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Work Less Live More" Is the best of several I bought. Semi retired last month using his book and loving it!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
At the link above you'll note it is the 2nd edition and the date of publication is September 30, 2007. I ordered a couple of weeks ago and also purchased the companion workbook and CD. The combo price is only $25.82...

Thanks,

I plan to buy the book, but is the CD and workbook also good?

I don't plan to work for life.

My idea is sock it away and when I have enough quit cold turkey if I want. maybe I will work to get out of the house (ie. part time) but I want to do that just to do something not because it's part of my 'retirement plan'. I mean if I work it's because I want to not because I need to to make ends meet.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I plan to buy the book, but is the CD and workbook also good?
Yes-- the spreadsheets on the CD alone are worth the purchase price.

Borrowing a library copy of the book, CD, & workbook would be frugal. Not buying them just to save the money is an example of crossing the line to deprivation...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:

Thanks. I did note the 2nd edition, but I didn't know how many editions there were ;-)

I've ordered the book and the workbook combo deal.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bob's book is great for ER and SER with good plans for both.

A lot of people misunderstand the SER concept and it really is affected by age and pensions for example. DW and I are both 43 and will have pensions at 55. SER for us means a SWR of 2% if we work about ten our a week in our business which has been a dream for us. We plan to quit totally at 55. We could sell the business and draw at about 3.5% which would probably be safe but at our young age we wanted to stay somewhat engaged and the business leads to meeting lots of new people upon occasion and several fun activities. We work our business on our schedule and usually have no trouble fitting in the time throughout the week when the kids are in school.

For us this was a twenty year plan that we just completed and Bob's book gave us the final confidence that we were okay.

As Nord's said buy the book. You will use it regularly as a reference.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not being facetious to suggest looking at the great novelists. A favorite is Somerset Maugham's autobiographical "Of Human Bondage." A friend said he saw the movie, "it's about the bondage of being tied to a floozie." Yes, that, but more so is about the bondage of working for others.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 AM   #14

I like "Get a life" by Ralph E Warner a lot.
It does not only focus on the financial aspects of ER but also "on important concerns such as broadening circles of friends, relying on one's extended family, turning to hobbies and nonwork activities, the book will help readers gain a healthier perspective on retirement".
I know some retirees who have saved all the money they need for an interesting retirement but feel disconnected, without energy and old because their planning was only focussed on finances.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
I like "Get a life" by Ralph E Warner a lot.
It does not only focus on the financial aspects of ER but also "on important concerns such as broadening circles of friends, relying on one's extended family, turning to hobbies and nonwork activities, the book will help readers gain a healthier perspective on retirement".
"Get A Life" has been one of my faves, also. I've read a lot of books on ER and on retirement in general, but "Get A Life" is my #1 pick.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most "retirement books" focus solely on the $ aspect of ER and while that's very important, there's much more to a successful retirement at any age than just the $. Assuming you want something broader, my vote also goes to Work Less, Live More by Clyatt and it's out in 2nd edition so it's very current. Does a decent job with the $ aspect but also covers other important aspects. Another one I like is How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free by Zelinski which is even more about retirement beyond the $. Not particularly well written, overly repetitive, but the content makes it a worthwhile read IMO. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote