Join Early Retirement Today

Good week at work
Old 05-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Good week at work

So last week was probably one of my best weeks at work, got two major projects done, led a team to stand up a WAN, gave a succesful presentation to some big wigs, had my Director pat me on the back and found out I get to go to a conference in Palm Beach, FL. Any young dreamers feel it might be possible they would stay in their job even after they FI? Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how my job has shaped up (i.e. challenging, have to work about 45 hours a week, but I get to have a life etc.). I've noticed that most of the young dreamers posting here aren't too enamoured with their job (I guess that makes sense or else -duh- why be so eager to retire??). Maybe I'm just in left field, but my motivation is just that I think there are things I'd like to do more.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Good week at work
Old 05-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but did you migrate an entire community from one software package on one server to another in your spare time as well?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am glad that you enjoy your job. I like my work but not very pleased with some people especially those who engage in politics.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill
So last week was probably one of my best weeks at work... I've noticed that most of the young dreamers posting here aren't too enamoured with their job
My working theory has always been that "Good jobs eventually turn bad." (Wording sanitized for public viewing.)
Old 05-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #5

Can a bad job become a good job?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:00 AM   #6

You bet! But, I never hung around for it

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #7

Oddly, I'm finding that I'm almost looking forward to each day at work now that I have decided to take an early retirement.* I'm enjoying my most recent project.* Dunno, premature nostalgia?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I definitely think planning for ER has helped me enjoy work more. The feeling of being less dependent on the job already, makes me a happier worker, I think. It's not just an endless treadmill.

BTW major technical glitches last night-mostly solved, and now I have coworkers bent about my trip to Florida, so things are returning to normal. :P
Old 05-03-2005, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Yeah, but did you migrate an entire community from one software package on one server to another in your spare time as well?
Hey, I just did the research, testing and preliminary setup during the week. The acutal migration was done from home on my own time.

Funny this should come up this way. I've had fun tweaking all the Linux, PHP and database stuff in a way that I haven't felt for my job's work in a long time. It made me start thinking maybe there's yet another reason to think about moving on.

My job doesn't have the crazy bosses or as many difficult people many others have had, but I'm a bit spoiled to having tons of freedom and a genuine interest in my work, and those things are waning in my current job.

But being debt free with a nest egg and some investment savvy keeps the job nasties from getting to me like they used to. One guy at work likes to micromanage everyone else and gets on my case from time to time even though I don't report to him in any manner whatsoever. But it's easier to let it bounce off knowing that I can walk away whenever I want.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm only a few weeks into my new gig. I like it a lot, and it is real interesting, but I can tell that burnout is going to be an issue after a while. Keep in mind that this is an excellent job with lots of interesting stuff to do and the possibility of making well into six figures annually. Eventually, I will just be exhausted and slogging all the time. Until then, I could do a lot worse, though.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think the topic of this thread is an oxymoron.

REW: 23 days from retirement
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, well I only have 14 years, 3 months and.....oh nevermind!

The feeling is already fading, maybe I was just running a fever.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hey Laurence, you never know. A couple of years before I ER'ed I wasnt even thinking about it. When I quit I wasnt even thinking about it...I thought I was just taking a year off paid vacation.

You might suddenly find yourself in the position to ER. Its all about karma and luck, isnt it?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Hey Laurence, you never know. A couple of years before I ER'ed I wasnt even thinking about it. When I quit I wasnt even thinking about it...I thought I was just taking a year off paid vacation.

You might suddenly find yourself in the position to ER. Its all about karma and luck, isnt it?
That's true - the job can vanish at any time.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

It may be much sooner than I thought, if JG's method counts! DW's work is going very well and she may be in a position to be sole breadwinner in the household soon. We would like to have more kids and having a parent home might make the most sense at some point. What's the old saying, want to make God laugh? Show him your plans!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I believe its "Man plans and god smiles".

Cut-throat, JG and I will welcome you among the ranks of gigolos who send their wives off to work while we lounge around the pool at home, ogling the pool girl.

Unfortunately I only have a $48 walmart intex pool, so cant justify a pool girl at this time.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! But that would make a great scene if you did!

"Could you scrub the bottom there a little more? "

The difference is that you all at least broght some dough to the table, I'd be a kept man!
Old 05-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Theres no shame in that. I'm sure your wife will find all sorts of things for you to do to have you earn your keep. At a minimum you can meet her at the door in lingerie holding her slippers and a martini.

By the way, I wouldnt have the pool girl scrubbing the bottom...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #19

Hmmm. I do know this millionaire girl who's kinda sweet on me.... Has anyone run analyses on the "kept man" retirement plan? KM/RE? I'll start a new website...
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Well, in all seriousness, we think it may be feasible in 5 years, as we will have about 400k in investments at that point, and only have the house payment. If she continues on this "grooming for management" track (her boss' words, not mine) than at that point it could work perfect, we'd still be able to put about 20k a year away, and probably only push off her retirement a couple more years (ah, compounding), say about 46 years of age instead of 44. Since I already do the cooking and split the cleaning, could be a smooth transition. It would be neat if I found something I could do part time at home, maybe tax returns!