Join Early Retirement Today

Got my nw to 50k today!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my nw to 50k today!

Ive been looking forward to this number for awhile, and wanted to celebrate tonight, but Im stuck in Central Arkansas on storm work. (oh well...overtime) With todays paycheck it pushed up to $51459! Man that took forever. But I remember when I hit 10k, it was like 50k was a dream. Saving money really is motivating! Im really at the mercy of the market now, but the goal is 100k by March of 2011.

...not entirely sure why I felt the need to post this thread, but I just had to tell some one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #2

Hey congratulations and keep up the good work.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on reaching your goal. Good luck on your next one.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great work.... we all were there at one point and time....

Make it a habit... and watch the money grow over the years... with a few 'down' times like the last year.... and also 1987....

Even with the last year... I am ahead of the game... and look forward to the market rebound whenever it comes (if you do not count the last few months)...
Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mill, great news! Keep up the good work.

Coach
Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Administrator

Mill, how wonderful to have reached that goal!! I agree - - saving money can be a lot of fun.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #7

: dance:

Congrats!

I think we post items like this because we want to share the good news, and too often the ones we love and work with are financially clueless and can not comprehend or appreciate our effort to make the milestones. You are on a good path toward financial independence and may you continue to set and achieve your goals!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Way to go!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #9

Well done, that is quite an achievement. You will be amazed how it will snowball from $50k to your next goal.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
Ive been looking forward to this number for awhile, and wanted to celebrate tonight, but Im stuck in Central Arkansas on storm work. (oh well...overtime) With todays paycheck it pushed up to $51459! Man that took forever. But I remember when I hit 10k, it was like 50k was a dream. Saving money really is motivating! Im really at the mercy of the market now, but the goal is 100k by March of 2011.

...not entirely sure why I felt the need to post this thread, but I just had to tell some one.
Feels good doesn't it, good for you! Stick with it, the numbers grow faster and faster if you do - although there will be occasional setback (like now). You're definitely on the right track, and you'll be richly rewarded (pun intended) in time!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Wow--amazing! The best part is you are enjoying having the savings more than the things the savings could have bought. And the more you save, the more it will grow in the future.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
.... Im really at the mercy of the market now, but the goal is 100k by March of 2011....
Peeked at your profile, says you are 27, wow, that really is an impressive accomplishment. At your age I wouldn't worry about the mercy of the market, easy for me to say. When I first started investing, there was an immediate drop in value but the old saw, "there is time to recover" held true for me. PF went on to recover from several other downturns, two of them large hits on a bigger PF.

So you will double your money in less than one year, is that mostly by adding a high percentage of income? Tell us how you celebrate, after the storm is over. Hope your budget leaves room to enjoy life now.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #13

Congrats! I recently hit $100K at age 29. It looks like your on pace to do the same. I'd say that's pretty impressive for people like us with low incomes(mid $40's/yr). Keep it up.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Hey, CuppaJoe, sounds like these young folks need 2 mentors. I'm not busy, are you?

Just kidding ...you two are doing great and definitely moving in the right directions.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well done both of you! $50K is worth more than many houses and most cars. (Not that I'm suggesting you go out and spend it, now!!!) Great start, keep it up!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations "your focus determines your reality" keep up the good work.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations! You'll find the second 50 will be easier than the first, and the third easier than the 2nd and so on...
Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Outstanding! Great goal! Keep investing toward your goal. Grab (and invest) all the overtime you can while you're young...it gets harder and harder to put in those extra hours.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hey, CuppaJoe, sounds like these young folks need 2 mentors. I'm not busy, are you?

Dibs on the one in WI, my old stomping grounds. Just kidding.

Hope they both continue reporting their progress.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

congratulations! it feels good, doesn't it? Keep plugging away and don't worry about the market. Time is on your side.