Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Government Pensions and FIRE
Old 02-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
They could solve this by charging more user fees (you come in and ask a stupid question that is answered in factsheet in the lobby), you get charged 5 bucks. * *
Thanks, Maddy, I've been trying to work up a pithy essay on "The Stupidity Tax" and your example is a lot better than anything I've come up with!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd collect that tax for a fairly small percentage of the take! Of course, I'd also want absolute immunity from its application to me.

setab
Old 02-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
I'd collect that tax for a fairly small percentage of the take!* Of course, I'd also want absolute immunity from its application to me.
Well, the idea is that if you have to put up with these types of people and perhaps even clean up after them, then you should at least get a share of the money they waste.

If you recognize the concept, then you already have immunity. Years ago a comedy show had a stand-up who proposed that stupid people have the word tatooed on their foreheads. They'd ask you a stupid question and you'd respond "Who in the world would ask... oh, I see, you're stupid!"

In our case it was the unfortunate situation of a shipmate who makes a really great impression-- because he's a really great guy. In fact he's such a great guy that it took us several different social occasions to realize that his wife is a complete lunatic, and regrettably that's killed the friendship. But she's a poster child for the concept of the "Stupidity Tax". I just have to boil the concept down into deathless prose, and Maddy got me a lot further down that trail!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Life is hard, but life is harder when you're dumb..."

Austin Lounge Lizards

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I got all confused reading this thread because setab is using the avatar that SteveR was using that CFB used to use. Stop it!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just wanted to point out that the vast majority of federal employees have little or no public contact as part of their jobs. It is unfortunate that many citizens base their impression of ALL federal employees on their contacts with the minority who handle their public contact jobs poorly. I can tell you that at an agency like NASA there were very few slackers and most employees I dealt with were bright and highly motivated. These folks don't come to the public's attention very often and then only when a space mission has a failure.

To correct another point: postal service employees are not covered by the civil service pension system.

Grumpy
Old 02-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Grumpy,

Here, here!

Martha,

Hey the avitar was available and it comes from one of my favorite movies. Sorry to cause the the confusion...no I'm not...yes, I am...no, I'm not.

setab
Old 02-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
OK, I got all confused reading this thread because setab is using the avatar that SteveR was using that CFB used to use.* Stop it!* *
If you're a visually oriented person it can be confusing, I always look at the avatar before the words to see who's posting. I even confused myself when my blue scuba photo looked like Martha's blue iris for a while.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #89

I have dealt with the public as a gov employee for more that 30 years. I can not tell you the number of times that at the end of the interview, the person has said that they can't believe how easy it was or what a pleasant experience that it was for them. They have commented that they were prepared for the worst! Again that is the public perception for some reason. This has been stated to many of the employees in our office, not just to me. Customer courtesy has always been a big deal, as it should be everywhere. I always try to treat people as I would want my own relatives treated, if they were on the other side of the desk!

I agree with Grumpy, that the vast majority of people that I have worked with have been good employees. Unfortunately, there have been a few that were not that great and it seems like they make the greatest impact.

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
If you're a visually oriented person it can be confusing, I always look at the avatar before the words to see who's posting. I even confused myself when my blue scuba photo looked like Martha's blue iris for a while.
Me too. Like the rainbow.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
OK, I got all confused reading this thread because setab is using the avatar that SteveR was using that CFB used to use. Stop it!
Replete with the same signature, which sort of goes with the picture...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

If I weren't amost a total computer illiterate, I would find a new avitar and transfer it. I almost used a different subscript but I didn't think I'd been around long enough to say "I fart in your general direction." Thought it might create a stink!

setab
Old 02-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #93

To make it even more confusing, Steve changed his avatar to a rat and cube rat changed her's to some lesbian (but had the busty babe) which is now CFB's
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Scarily, cube rats avatar is of a heterosexual woman.

I could add "not that it matters", but thats somewhat obvious.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Scarily, cube rats avatar is of a heterosexual woman.
Like the man said in the original Dirty Harry movie, "I gots to know."

So let me ask the question-- how did you determine her sexual preference?

Old 02-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

I can't wait to find that out myself.

setab
Old 02-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Thats easy. She appeared on one of the "wife swap" reality tv shows. She freaked out on her "new family" for being godless heathens, hence the 'god warrior' name.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm presuming if she's married and has kids, theres a whiff of heterosexuality involved, but I immediately realize that may be completely false, not to mention she was on a reality tv show, so perhaps theres a second shoe to be dropped?
Re: Message to Cube-rat
Old 02-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Message to Cube-rat

Cube, I think it is time to change your avatar. That poor woman has been picked on enough.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

I'll change mine if you change yours...
Old 02-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Thats easy.* She appeared on one of the "wife swap" reality tv shows.* She freaked out on her "new family" for being godless heathens, hence the 'god warrior' name.
Sorry, my mistake. I was actually referring to the avatar that you're using, which I remember that you got from cube_rat.

At least for the first guy in the Dirty Harry movie, the hammer landed on an empty chamber!