Join Early Retirement Today
Greetings - been a while - catching up!!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Greetings - been a while - catching up!!

Been a while since I visited this site. Not sure if it was the Navy mobilization to Norfolk (from NJ) - and just the new routine developing, or just less interested in watching my net worth slide for now....I'm maxing out on my TSP contributions, kicking in decent $$$ to the future car fund, adding more $$$ to my fun/vacation fund. So, my savings are on full auto pilot mode. I sure do make more $$ with all the tax free allowances (NJ housing allowance, sustenance allowance, and per diem for VA!) NJ is actually paying me differential pay (my salary is higher than my military base pay, so they pay me the difference!) This year is putting money and time into both pension systems (yaaa!!)

I forgot what "regular" Navy life is like, and I have concluded that I am getting old! There are as many good things and not so good things in the military as in "civlant" (both personnel-wise, and business practice-wise.) On the age end, I find myself happily in the middle - old enough to have given birth to some young sailors, and younger than many others who might not have been in for as long as I have been. On a positive note, most are amazed that I have been in for 20 years.

Graduate school started in Sept. - hopefully I'll get selected for a commissioning program this go around (board meets in Jan) - and am studying for my Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)certification examination. This is voluntary, but: a) the Navy foot the entire $400 bill for the certification exam, b) the selection board smiles on prof. cert., and c) passing it will earn me 3 GRADUATE credits! Hmmm - now I see why I have been on here less!

BF lost 20#'s on the RAW food diet, so as an avid cook, I have taken it upon myself to fully explore all the yummy recipes that meet the requirements of "raw" (no "cooking" vegan stuff over 113 degrees) - the dehydrator, juicer, blender, and food processor have been going non-stop! I have developed a fan club from the USO guests - they have volunteered to be my "raw" food guinea pigs! Of course, I have not lost my taste for bacon, a juicy steak, seafood, coffee, or hot wings! My clothes are comfortably getting looser, but have no target weight in mind.

I manage to make it home, or BF comes to VA at least once a it's not as bad as it could be. I actually MISS my regular job (working with veterans regarding employment, resumes, VA benefits, unemployment bennies, etc..) Will be back in that office next August.

I have lots to catch up with on this board, and hope all have been doing well! Just wanted to say hi

Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Welcome back!

A most excellent way to snowbird with pay...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote