Grim news, work is "Rightsizing"

Went out with my Dad today to his farmstead, enjoyed working a bit on the land, but mostly we philosophized under a tree.

I admit I'm feeling pretty nervous, this lag between the announcement and the pink slips is kind of crazymaking. Again, I’m 99% sure I’m o.k. due to some insider information, but that little wormy voice still whispers in my head.

You know, you guys really hit it with that “C” group thought. What’s sad is how accepted it is. In fact, I had several people say to me after the big powwow, “I’m sure you’re fine, I saw you shooting the breeze with the President and Director such and such!”. I’d like to think I’m safe due to my good work, but if the spotlight ever did get pointed at my department, that probably would be the deciding factor.

This is a good time to cut back on your spending, get a little bigger pad of cash. Once I had enough money to last 6 to 8 months, I worried less while waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Funny how we let that 1% worry us sick... Hope the 99% is right and you stay employed.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Hah.  ALL of our annual reviews were done that way.  People cut into 30-40 people chunks, all their managers in the room, everyones name on a post-it note and stuck on a white board.  Each manager gets to tell a little story about them, then everyone else tells you what sucky thing they did 9 months ago that apparently wasnt important to bring up until now.
Keep moving people left and right on the whiteboard.  Eventually someone tries to draw a few vertical lines between them to break them up into 3-4 'groups'.  Then the real **** hits the fan.  That would go on for 12-14 hours straight.  No leaving until we're done and in agreement.
Is it any wonder I wanted to get the hell out of there? ::)
Hey, that's how the Navy does ranking & promotion boards!

Sorry for the news, Lawrence.  This kind of thing can be very hard at best, and absolutely brutal at worst.  

I've worked in the software industry for 16 years (gawd!) and seen layoffs at every place I ever worked.  I was hit twice myself.  No rhyme or reason to any of it.  I've seen the best of the best chucked because their subordinates would do the job less well for less money, and I've seen really lousy workers kept because... I dunno, maybe they had pictures of the boss in compromising positions...

No matter what happens, it's going to suck.  Either you get laid off (which sucks), or you get to stay and work your behind off in an increasingly toxic environment which (in my experience) sucks even worse.  

I've never seen a company that benefited, short-term, from a layoff.  Maybe things will be better in 20 years, but management caused this mess in the first place and they're unlikely to be able to dig out anytime soon.

I agree wholeheartedly with those who recommend a resume brush-up.  Yes, I know that your commute is good, you like the job, etc. etc.  But I've seen grown men cry under the pressure of working twice as hard to keep their income, mortgages, etc. etc.

What is more, testing one's worth in the job market can be very educational.  Each time I was laid off (and this is true for many of my friends), I was hired elsewhere at a SIGNIFICANTLY higher rate of pay.  Fact of the matter is I wish, in retrospect, that I'd been let go more often!  ;-D What was MORE important, I learned early on not to kill myself working countless hours for a company that was going to do what companies do when they're in trouble -- cut people loose without mercy.

I'm not giving you this grim view because I'm bitter or anything  :LOL:   but more because

a) you cannot control this in any way, so

b) try to relax, don't worry about it, let whatever happens happen, and realize that while it will suck in the sort term, someone with your skills and talent will come out better off in the long run. I guarantee it.

Caroline  

My job as a nurse is very secure, although I am in my last few weeks. My other half has been through RIF's several times and another is happening this year.

We are seeing many really good performers with lots of experience jump ship - the word is out they are ripe for the taking and many of the younger guys are taking the offers. He is three years from 55 yo retirement so hopefully he will get out with his pension intact or nearly so. The pension is currently funded properly and the company is making megamoola so we should be OK.

What helped us get through this is having our expenses under control. I would take a good look at my spending habits and make sure there is no waste. We went on a debt elimination frenzy once the RIF's started and have no debt. that is very difficult in some housing markets but the less debt and expenses you have the easier it is to deal with all this stuff. I also kept working as the second income longer than I had to just in case.

Good luck. It is never easy. The people left will undoubtedly see some good performers and friends leave.

Caroline said:
I've never seen a company that benefited, short-term, from a layoff

I've never seen a long term benefit.

I think the morale issues outweigh any financial savings, and those ill feelings stick around. Look at Laurence, a key player in the organization thats well regarded, capable, intelligent...and he's worried. Is that the effect you're looking for?

In some people ("B" players) it may make them work a little harder or hide their failures a little better, but it makes no change in your "C" players and your "A" players often decide to work elsewhere.

I could very well be a B-minus player, but my coworker is definitely an A, and she and I have already started joking about beating each other out the door. And that's the problem, those who can find a job somewhere else making the same or more are those with sparkle, the ones your business depends upon. I remember another company I worked for went through some rough patches, didn't lay off a whole lot, but froze pay etc. and made life hell. Talked to the one friend who didn't leave and the conversation went something like this: "Joe is in charge of tech support? He's an idiot!" "Wait, Jane is the webmaster? She couldn't spell xml!!".

The ugliest rumor is this is managements tool to purge those who have fallen from favor. I would be all for that if you could count on it being a meritocracy. There are people who are professional coffee mug holders, just wandering the hall...

I haven't read the whole thread but I am an unfortunate expert of RIFs.  Call them what you will.  I've been on the giving and receiving end of job cuts and the pattern I've seen is pretty standard.  The key is that no reason is needed to let someone go.  I was a "layoff."  Your only hope in fighting it is if almost everyone let go is in a "minority" classification -- old white guys excepted.

The first wave is usually "payback time."  This is where the people that have pissed off a manager in another department or even their own gets taken out.  This is where the person who just didn't rub the VP the right way on his last visit leaves.  Rank has very little to do with who is picked.  Job performance has even less.  I've fought mightily to save great performers but the "word" had come down that they were one of the chosen.

The second wave is where the doomed projects are cut and the majority of the casualties are on those projects.  Being "liked" by the right people can do wonders.  There's still a little residual vengence left in who goes but the real targets were in round one.

After that, anything that appears rational disappears.  It's everyman or woman for themselves.  There is mighty positioning for both internal and external jobs.  In the midst of any widespread layoff, everyone has their resume out.  You can run into coworkers interviewing with the same company you are.  Even worse, that bozo manager that got zapped in round one is now a hiring manager with another company.

2B said:
....  Even worse, that bozo manager that go zapped in round one is now a hiring manager with another company.

Once a rif is expected the first round to leave (not get rif'd) are the folks the business wants to keep.  I have seen businesses offer retention bonuses to retain key players, particularly when a business is being sold (nice to have a business to sell). 

IMHO, be open to other opportunities Laurence.  This might even be the perfect opportunity for a move if you are inclined.

2B said:
I haven't read the whole thread but I am an unfortunate expert of RIFs. Call them what you will. I've been on the giving and receiving end of job cuts and the pattern I've seen is pretty standard. The key is that no reason is needed to let someone go. I was a "layoff." Your only hope in fighting it is if almost everyone let go is in a "minority" classification -- old white guys excepted.

The first wave is usually "payback time." This is where the people that have pissed off a manager in another department or even their own gets taken out. This is where the person who just didn't rub the VP the right way on his last visit leaves. Rank has very little to do with who is picked. Job performance has even less. I've fought mightily to save great performers but the "word" had come down that they were one of the chosen.

The second wave is where the doomed projects are cut and the majority of the casualties are on those projects. Being "liked" by the right people can do wonders. There's still a little residual vengence left in who goes but the real targets were in round one.

After that, anything that appears rational disappears. It's everyman or woman for themselves. There is mighty positioning for both internal and external jobs. In the midst of any widespread layoff, everyone has their resume out. You can run into coworkers interviewing with the same company you are. Even worse, that bozo manager that got zapped in round one is now a hiring manager with another company.

Gawd, I think you and I work for the same company :eek:

Laurence - It's time to polish up your resume and put your feelers out there. You'll have absolutely no problem landing on your feet. :)

In my former life as a worker bee I went through four different iterations of re-engineering, benchmarking, re-organization, downsizing or whatever you would like to call them.  I guess in a way I was fortunate to make it through all of the exercises without being booted out.  I have seen grown men reduced to tears upon heairng they no longer had a job after as many as twenty five years or more of good service.  In a way those that leave are better off as morale always suffers for the poor bastards left behind. 

One thing that use to simply amaze me is that shortly after a round of letting people go, some idiot in corporate HR would bring out an attitude survey and then the corporate bigwigs could never fiqure out why attitudes sucked.  They also couldn't understand why there wasn't company loyality.  Simply amazing.

frayne said:
...In a way those that leave are better off as morale always suffers for the poor bastards left behind.

We referred to those let go as "victims" and those remaining behind as "losers"...or was it the other way around...? :p

Do not be surprised if recruiters start sniffing around once the word of a reduction gets out, particularly for hard to find skill sets.  If a recruiter calls, listen.

One of my former employer's recruiters tried agressively to be the first to interview IS folks at risk of rif.  They looked like fans trying to buy World Series tickets.

frayne said:
One thing that use to simply amaze me is that shortly after a round of letting people go, some idiot in corporate HR would bring out an attitude survey and then the corporate bigwigs could never fiqure out why attitudes sucked.  They also couldn't understand why there wasn't company loyality.  Simply amazing.

you misunderstood. that wasn't a real survey. that was just some scared guy in hr trying to justify his job and not get re-engineered-out.

Re: Grim news, work is "Rightsizing" -UPDATE

Well, I survived the RIF. Very sad day, we had a little meeting with my group and the manager explained everyone who was to be laid off was notified, yadda yadda. On a good note, they were able to reduce the amount they needed to lay off by about 50% by getting some people to move geographically, move work from another site here, volunteers etc. Our group of about 200 only had 3 people laid off. :-\

Glad to hear you survived round one Laurence. I got a call from a former co-worker today who just got whacked after working for my former company for almost 20 years. His son starts college in the fall. :-\

Go home and hug your family and focus on what's important. ;)

Glad you survived.....it's nervewracking, isn't it.

If it happens often enough you'll end up hoping they let you go so you get the severence package.
Which will probably not happen and you'll continue to be employed.

It's happening everywhere....
My former employer is moving more and more of their business to India. Sad for those in the US.

A lot of us are expressing the negatives but there are some positives you might want to focus on.

You like this job. You still have it. Lots of organizations go through a round of two of cuts and then get their house in order. No matter where you might go you will still face uncertainty. So, if you stay, enjoy the job and try to make the place profitable.

As to the down side, many people who get RIF'd bounce right back and end up in as good or better a place than they started. For now that applies to your co-workers but it will apply to you if the uncertainties come and bite you on the butt later.

I'm only popping into this thread now and then. Sorry if all of this has been said several times :p.

Laurence, I'm glad that you survived. By layoff standards, 3 out of 200 is very mild. Heck, normal attrition is going to be more than that. As long as your company overall is doing well, then staying isn't going to be bad for your career. The problem with staying comes when the company is retreating from a business area, and they just want bodies to fill the trenches as they are fighting their retreat. That you don't want to do.

I'm so happy for you, Laurence! What a relief. But keep a close watch on your company's doings, keep your pwder dry resume updated whenever you have something to add, and continue to stay in touch with your network. Knowing about your options helps keep the worries away. I updated my resume at least every other month during my company's 4 major layoffs over 4 years (and a 5th that occurred jsut after I retired). The first time, we got advance warning of the exact layoff date and time--gave us a few weeks to stew. The second time, we knew the month. The other times were total surprises that followed hiring spurts and small a rash of promotions. So stay on top of developmetns and opportunities in your field, and if you ever get blind-sided, you'll be ready. I think you mentioned getting another degree (forget if that was an MBA or engineering degree)--good idea.

Laurence, I will never forget when Mega-Corp laid off several thousand people. It was a very grim day. This was evidenced by a supervisor's dying of a heart attack. Lots of stress. 20-30 year employees were marched out like they were convicts, as the company didn't want them stealing tools and/or any sabotage. I survived barely and finally retired. But, they still downsize, though not as many at one time.

Anyway, glad you made the cut. I suggest you keep looking for another job. One thing you will find is that the survivors have more work to do with less people. That's not pleasant, either.

Back
Top Bottom