Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had some soothing noises made at me by the head dog. I could probably have a sit-down and get "satisfaction", but I just don't see the point. I am still PO'd, but I also have had the moment of clarity that, for all the positives of this job, it is slowly draining me and it is too hard on my family. If I could telecommute 2 or 3 days a week I would probably stay, but I know that would never be on the table. When I bow out, I suspect I will get a heavy sell to stay, and actually making job interviews is going to be a challenge without setting off the employer tripwires.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
I remember going to my Principal and asking for an hour early leave so I could be with Mrs. Zipper and my son at a medical appointment.
Well, my attendance is nowhere near as good as yours, but I'm not a slacker either. My personal way of handling this when I was still working for MegaCorp was I TOLD my employer when I was taking off. I did not ASK. As far as I'm concerned, my notifying them in advance was a professional courtesy.

Now, if they let me know the timing isn't great, and ask if I can adjust my days some, I'm happy to try to accomodate. I don't throw down the gauntlet if I can't skip work to attend the launch party for the Xbox 360 But if I'm going to a family member's wedding? Yeah, that isn't a negotiable concept.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

100% agree. This is a great opportunity to work for someone with a lower score on the A-hole meter and shorten that commute at the same time. It's amazing to me that he thinks he can be this way with his staff. You aren't working in a chicken plucking factory, your skill set is expensive to replace. It's just stupid. Good luck.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
You aren't working in a chicken plucking factory
Actually, sometimes it feels that way.

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Completely concur with not discussing the issue further-- screw management if they can't figure this out from your effect on the bottom line. They're held to a higher expectation of performance or they wouldn't be worthy of the "management" moniker.

If you're contemplating a move to Denver, my brother is trying to sell his dog-daycare business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Last night I was looking at job listings and it struck me how many good jobs I am perhaps overqualified for that I couldn't hope to be considered for before I came to the present gig. So its time to cash in on my investment and find something easier and with less brutal hours/comute.
Is it necessary to search for another job? Or is it better to start your own?

Your investment results have probably been pretty palatable (to say the least) as a side effect of working for a steady paycheck. How much better would they need to be if you had a few extra hours in every workday to homebrew read even more financial reports and model more cashflows? You've been managing family money and running a virtual hedge fund on this board for free... what if you had paying customers?

Eh, maybe Buffett's still hiring.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Frankly, I am burnt enough at the moment taht the thought of all the work and aggravation it would take to start a fund is bewildering.

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Frankly, I am burnt enough at the moment taht the thought of all the work and aggravation it would take to start a fund is bewildering.
How about starting a news letter and being an independent financial advisor? I have no idea what you could make but I bet it would be a fun career. I bet you could recruit several from here on the news letter.

I guess the downside is the initial drop in income during the start up period.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I guess the downside is the initial drop in income during the start up period.
That's pretty much the show-stopper. I am the sole bread-winner in the family and the opportunity costs of not working in my chosen profession are quite high.

But it might be a very nice hobby business when I FIRE.

Heck, depending on where I land and what I end up doing, I might end up consulting for my present employer. Guess what my hourly rate would be?

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How about starting a news letter and being an independent financial advisor?
Come join the party.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Heck, depending on where I land and what I end up doing, I might end up consulting for my present employer. Guess what my hourly rate would be?

That is the best revenge! DW quit her job to stay home with the kids, but they really needed her expertise (Biotech) so she became a consultant with her former company being the biggest client. She heard the VP raged at her hourly rate...but paid the bill. A year and a half later they are still paying! She's only working 10 hours a week, but it really helps.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
That is the best revenge! DW quit her job to stay home with the kids, but they really needed her expertise (Biotech) so she became a consultant with her former company being the biggest client. She heard the VP raged at her hourly rate...but paid the bill. A year and a half later they are still paying! She's only working 10 hours a week, but it really helps.
Heh, I consulted for the boss part time for a while before I came here. Hourly rate was pretty obscene then, and I am more valuable now.

- George Orwell

Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The way they treated you really sucks. Every time I read a story like yours, I realize no way could I ever go back to that workaday world.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #53

Well....I end up working at home for a few hours every day (some of it is lack of a proper computer/printer and some general health issues) and frankly dont know what the big deal is except maybe a micromanager wanting you around to bother...I used to do more work that way and even with my general slide, still do...
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #54

Quote:
Had some soothing noises made at me by the head dog. I could probably have a sit-down and get "satisfaction", but I just don't see the point. I am still PO'd, but I also have had the moment of clarity that, for all the positives of this job, it is slowly draining me and it is too hard on my family. If I could telecommute 2 or 3 days a week I would probably stay, but I know that would never be on the table. When I bow out, I suspect I will get a heavy sell to stay, and actually making job interviews is going to be a challenge without setting off the employer tripwires.
Brewer - why not get it on the table. If your plan is to leave then you have nothing to lose by asking.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Brewer - why not get it on the table. If your plan is to leave then you have nothing to lose by asking.

DD
Not gonna work at all most likely, but if I were to get away with it I would have to be in an extremely string negotiating position (about to walk out the door). If I did now I would be A) fommenting revolt in certain people's eyes and B) endangering my bonus (assuming there is one). Best to do this with an offer in hand the day after the bonus has cleared my checking account.

- George Orwell

Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

The best advise I know to give you is just continue to give it your best and stay focused. I know you are pissed but the more you steam over this incident, the longer the days will seem to you. Not easy to do. But knowing that you have other options, let that be the bright light and goal that gets you through the daily grind. Better days are ahead.

That's pretty much what I did. I was so sick of work towards the end of my career, I had to think of the better days ahead. And now those days are here.
BTW, how many more years of 'Corporate' work and savings do you need before you can move into a more independent role? Such as being a Financial Advisor.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The best advise I know to give you is just continue to give it your best and stay focused. I know you are pissed but the more you steam over this incident, the longer the days will seem to you. Not easy to do. But knowing that you have other options, let that be the bright light and goal that gets you through the daily grind. Better days are ahead.

That's pretty much what I did. I was so sick of work towards the end of my career, I had to think of the better days ahead. And now those days are here.
BTW, how many more years of 'Corporate' work and savings do you need before you can move into a more independent role? Such as being a Financial Advisor.
*Sigh*

That was the original plan, but I just cannot keep up with the speed the treadmill is set on. And you should see how much happier DW is now that the decision has been made.

- George Orwell

Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Good plan, Brewer. Get closer to home.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, dude. That is piss poor how things went down. It absolutely baffles me how mgmt expectations can dictate behavior(s) that have NO correlation to your job performance. Makes me crazy.

Good riddance... and best of luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And you should see how much happier DW is now that the decision has been made.

That's the strongest argument for leaving you've made so far.