Join Early Retirement Today

Guilty of Being a Cubicle Hater
Old 08-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Guilty of Being a Cubicle Hater

Just about left work today ... since I have met my goal earlier this week. It's funny that I feel I have to wait a few days or weeks with a feeling that there's smoke to clear to see where the assortman of well-diversified portfolio settles ... but I guess that's a never ending feeling.

There also seems the need for some sort of impetus for the final shove ... do we really have to give two weeks notice.? almost dropped that safety cord - that is, almost burned the bridges (my gf said just chill today). There a point where the investments meets the dream and the work isn't stimulating - but you just never know how to make that call known to the 'ol cubicle co-workers.

Actually, I have an office but there's even greater isolation in that, especially with a fire door.

Anyway, I thought it would be cute to send this poem to everyone ... maybe not? I found it when I was searching the great IPO Google search ... ' hating cubicles'. I thought it was so relevant to me since I actually left at 9:00 AM after an hour and decided 'nope'.

http://wmn.cs.ccu.edu.tw/furby/dan/E...%20cubicle.htm

notTwain
notTwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Guilty of Being a Cubicle Hater
Old 08-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi notTwain,

Good advice.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ugh... cubicle hell.

Live it every workday
Old 08-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Delurking...

Don't burn your bridges, even if it feels good at the time. Someday you may need a little side work, or just want a little extra cash to help pay for the boat... or whatever! In my case, I still do freelance programming for my old employer (not ER yet... I'm only 24), and just last month pulled in about $10k in freelance jobs from them.... these opportunities wouldn't have come up had I not left my old job very gracefully, and with no hurt feelings.

I work for a university now... in a cube... I feel your pain. Funny thing about cubes though, they were never meant to be used as they are today! They were actually designed to facilitate communication, not isolate you from it.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to call them "veal fattening pens".

My only advice: always be professional. Many of my best friends still hail from my old job, and I continue to correspond with my old boss quite regularly. We remain friends and I know I always have a job back there anytime I want it as a result.

Not a bad thing to know. Because you never know. But what do I know?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote