Join Early Retirement Today

Had an almost perfect day Monday!
Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Had an almost perfect day Monday!

I was enjoying the holiday weekend so much, and the weather forecast was perfect for Monday, that I decided to extend my 3 day weekend into a 4 day weekend. Monday was kind of a trial run for retirement and it went perfectly.

Started with a bike ride (I have a triathlon coming up in early August, so training for that), followed by a leisurely breakfast (my coffee is so much better than the bland stuff at work - lowest common denominator coffee). Then worked really hard in the yard digging out some old overgrown flower beds and replanting them. I was so into it that I didn't stop for lunch until about 1.30 (at work I am starving by 11.30).

Got cleaned up and DW and I went out for lunch at Chipotle, which was a real treat because I don't usually get to go out for lunch with her, since we work in different places. Then back home and read my book on the patio for a little while ("Skippy is Dead" by Paul Murray - highly recommended).

Then I made some pesto with the basil plants DW had been cultivating - managed to harvest about 12 oz's of basil, which doesn't sound like a lot but it was a big pile on the countertop! After that I prepared one of my favorite dinners, which was a Thai style salad (Stir Fried Lemongrass Beef with Asian Greens - you can get the recipe on Epicurious). Before eating said dinner we went out for a couple of laps swimming around the local lake with the triathlon club (again, training for that upcoming race). Got home from that around 8.15, ate previously prepared dinner, cleared up, read for a while and went to bed, tired but happy.

If this is what retirement will be like, then I'm ready - I just have to get over my OMY syndrome (and that day definitely helped push me closer). I don't understand people who think they will be bored in retirement!
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not every day in retirement is like that.

But almost every day.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got tired just reading it! I could get all that stuff done in 3 days....no problem. Your w*rk ethic is is still to strong
Old 07-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trirod View Post
Started with a bike ride...

Then worked really hard in the yard...

Got cleaned up and DW and I went out for lunch at Chipotle...

Then back home and read my book on the patio for a little while...

Then I made some pesto with the basil plants DW had been cultivating...

After that I prepared one of my favorite dinners...

Before eating said dinner we went out for a couple of laps swimming around the local lake with the triathlon club...

Got home from that around 8.15, ate previously prepared dinner, cleared up, read for a while and went to bed, tired but happy.

If this is what retirement will be like, then I'm ready...
Real retirement ain't so! That's too much moving about, keeping busy.

And in real retirement, you would not even notice that it was Monday. About the only thing that reminds you that it is a weekday is that the price of stocks on Quicken screen jumps up/down when you update the screen.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Real retirement ain't so! That's too much moving about, keeping busy.

And in real retirement, you would not even notice that it was Monday. About the only thing that reminds you that it is a weekday is that the price of stocks on Quicken screen jumps up/down when you update the screen.
Not always true. Here at the beach we have to know when it's the weekend so we don't go out and get caught in the traffic. At least between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Monday means I can run errands and stuff because everybody else went back to work.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

whoa that's way too much activity

in preparation for FIRE, on my days off I do as little as possible except for golf, ski and/or water the yard in gym shorts and dark socks.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I know that seems like a lot, but remember I'm still working so had to fit a lot into my day off. Perhaps I'll slow down a little when I finally do retire [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We retirees in my neighborhood have a rule: "no more than two hours a day" on chores and/or yard/house projects.