Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
1966 -1982 plus good old gold, guns and freeze dryed food. In some ways 2008 was a yawner - been there done that - Saint's didn't make the playoffs - so what's new.

My defense was acceptable 3% SEC yield minimum but it could have been better(with a newer model crystal ball) heh heh heh.

This time it's different - I hope - I don't want to wait 15 plus years for things to sort out before the next bull market leg.

The Norwegian widow has enough dividends to party on - but I really rather see the next bull market start - AND the Saint's in the Superbowl.

heh heh heh -

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #22
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
The Norwegian widow has enough dividends to party on - but I really rather see the next bull market start - AND the Saint's in the Superbowl.

heh heh heh -
Hey, this winter hasn't been THAT cold!

Me too.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
When I retired, 3 years ago at 57, Vanguard recommended 50/50. I told them I was planning on more like 60/40. Through mostly procrastination I never got money moved around to the full 60/40 and am now closer to 40/60 without taking anything out of the market, even adding a little last year.

Because of dumb luck and procrastination (how I make most of my best market moves), after bringing Quicken up to date over the weekend I discovered I have a little more now than I did when I retired, including paying for the last 3 years of living, buying a new car, a used truck, a camper and doing some big capital projects around the property. Made me feel much better about the last year.

I'll probably move a little cash in to the market as the year goes on but I will probably go with VGs recommendation now and aim for 50/50.

Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Has 2008 adjusted your expectations for investments?

Yes, now I'm not so much worried about the return ON my investment as I am the return OF my investment.
Retire date sometime in 2017
ikubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
YES, I now feel like I need twice as much in savings in order to weather terrorist attacks, another economic downturn or two like this in my lifetime, prolonged flat market, etc.... I was looking forward to ER in 2-4 years, now I just don't feel like I can......

lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote