Join Early Retirement Today

Has anyone told their boss to take this job and shove it?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has anyone told their boss to take this job and shove it?

Because you absolutely had it with the BS? Please tell your story to convice me NOT to make a hastie move today. My sane self tells me I must find something else before telling everyone to shove it. My insane self wants to walk out of mega corp with both middle fingers standing erect in the air.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Has anyone told their boss to take this job and shove it?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #2

I hate to say this, but don't do it.* No matter how badly you feel your boss deserves it.* Just walk away.* If you do it anyway, you'll just be screwing yourself.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
After finding new job OK
Before finding new job, not OK.

A fellow I know did this. Came in the office with a tape player and played "Take This Job & Shove It" .

I liked him but I think it would have been better to just walk. If you can do that you drop the mental baggage rather than carry it with you.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
After finding new job OK
Before finding new job, not OK.

A fellow I know did this. Can in the office with a tape player and played "Take This Job & Shove It" .

I liked him but I think it would have been better to just walk. If you can do that you drop the mental baggage rather than carry it with you.
I told a bunch of "bosses" where to stick their job. Most of the time
I had no idea where it would lead. If you need a new job first, I can
understand that. I never did.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It'll make you feel better, but they won't/don't really care...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do I know... been self-employed for ten years. Don't even know how to pick a day and say it's the last one.

I don't recall your line of work, but if it's something you can do for yourself, and earn a living as your own boss, give it some thought. Takes away the problem of firing the boss -- most of the time. 8)
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

HI

Unless the situation is far beyond the normal BS then I would wait tll I had something else and try not to burn too many bridges.

Bruce
Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #8

Yep, I need to definitely disengage from the intense anger I feel right now. I try very hard to not show emotion at work. Luckily I'm home working, so I could cry in the privacy of my home office versus my cube.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Cube-Rat, take a deep breath. I am sure all of us have wanted to do the same, but in reality it is best to give your notice so you don't burn your bridge for a reference and being marked as a disgruntled employee. Someone told me I should write a book. I have see it all in law offices over the last 30 years. Take a walk around the building and have a good laugh at the craziness of your office. I think of it as entertainment!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, I need to definitely disengage from the intense anger I feel right now.* I try very hard to not show emotion at work.* Luckily I'm home working, so I could cry in the privacy of my home office versus my cube.*
Time for a fatty? *8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

YES !!!!

The following is true, and it could happen to you.

At the tender age of 24, more than a few years ago, I told my direct manager to shove it and quit. I am in sales for a major direct company. About 6 months later on my new job, my fomer boss became the new buyer for my largest customer. He was kind enough to laugh about it over lunch with me and went on to be one of the best buyers I ever had. Turns out he was miserable as a boss and hated managing people more than we hated working for him. I was the straw that forced him to look for another position.

Go figure.

JP
plattj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I've only been in the corporate/office setting for 8 years it seems to me that most managers who take their frustrations out on employees either have emotional problems, are just jerks or both.

They would vent on you or any other warm body in front of them. I wouldn't take it personally. I saved the rear of one particular director I answered to on many occasions and he knew it. Yet, he was very hostile toward me. Maybe he was embarassed... who knows. The point is I'd let it roll off of my back and focus on the prize... FIRE! :P

-Jay

Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #13

I agree with the taking it easy and look for another job. Before I left a bad situation, I let everyone know about all the great things that I would be getting in my "new job". I dont think I was trying to stick it to them. I was just happy to be getting what I wanted. Tirades and burning bridges wont work and seldom satisfy you. Be happy and thank your employer when you leave, too.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I maintain a friendly relationship with my ex-boss, who was a frothing psychopath while she was manager in my workplace. People would come out of her office shaking and crying. She would actually clench her fists and scream when she was angry. I've never seen another adult behave that way. She was widely hated and scorned by her peers. She sat alone in the lunchroom. People crossed the street to avoid her.

After she moved to another job, she kept in touch with a few of us. She is like another person, relaxed and friendly. When she was my boss, I hated her. Now I am glad that I wasn't nasty to her when she left. It has helped me to heal.

The person who replaced her is an immature jerk. I get along with this person, but I wonder if I am going to retire without ever having worked for a grown-up. It's not too much to ask for, is it?
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Because you absolutely had it with the BS?* Please tell your story to convice me NOT to make a hastie move today.* My sane self tells me I must find something else before telling everyone to shove it.* My insane self wants to walk out of mega corp with both middle fingers standing erect in the air.
For about a year, my boss and his boss were both the kind of person to provoke that reaction. I avoided a major blowup-- partly due to the influence of the UCMJ-- and survived. However I learned that living well was the best vengeance.

My immediate boss, an O-5, just loved to be surrounded by people whom he could entertain. 14 hours a day, six days a week. He didn't really have anywhere to go or anything else to do so he wanted to do it with us for company. He thought that his public observations on your personality and your preferences made him a funny guy. Very manipulative.

His boss, an O-6, also lived for the job to the harmony of 80-hour weeks. He used three admin assistants-- one from 5 AM to 1 PM, a second from 8 AM to 4PM, and a third from 1 PM to closing. The third shift was considered to be the best deal because you knew you'd rarely get asked to stay beyond 10 hours. He lived for a crisis, especially after the chief of staff's Thursday afternoon meeting. If he didn't have a crisis then he'd let something sit on his desk until it ripened into a crisis.

We had our share of arguments (kinda tough when you're the O-4) but we all transferred more or less on speaking terms. I resolved to never work with or even run into these people again.

Of course I didn't succeed. Five years later I had to run some paperwork up to an office and ran into the O-6. He was worse than ever, which made me feel lucky to have escaped when I did. In 2000 he managed to push a year beyond the "mandatory" 30-year retirement, stayed in the office until midnight of his final day on active duty, immediately went back to the same office as a contractor, and was still there six months ago. He was eating at "our" Thai restaurant while spouse & I were enjoying date night, and he was quite a performance. His cell phone rang about every 10 minutes for over an hour (on a Friday evening!) and each call was a loud conversation about his job. Keep in mind that this is a guy with an $80K COLA pension & lifetime medical who is still married to his first wife. He will be saving the free world, one crisis at a time, until he dies at his desk (or on his phad thai noodles). No one will remember what he did for the military's operational scheduling & fuel consumption procedures... except that he did it a lot.

My O-5 boss disappeared to the East Coast for eight years but ended up being the only guy in the Navy who could take over at my final command. So he came back to be my boss once again (this time as an O-6). I was only 18 months from retirement, I had nothing to fear, and he could smell my attitude. We left each other alone and interacted only when absolutely necessary. By this time his rheumatoid arthritis had nearly crippled him and he was such a workaholic that both his hip implants suffered staph infections. Instead of staying home for a few weeks of infused antibiotics he continued to work 50-60 hour weeks, so the doctors removed both implants and he was wheelchair-bound for another six months. His other problem, of course, was that I taught everyone else at the command how to deal with him. He finally retired (30 years to the minute) on full disability and immediately started the job search. It turns out that there are not many careers for a 52-year-old man with 100% disability and only a bachelor's in Naval Science. In his case the COLA pension, the disability compensation, and the lifetime medical were a blessing.

My second time around with these guys was mainly an experience of overwhelming pity. Their examples taught me a lot about grace under fire and perseverance under adversity. The way they turned out was a powerful lesson in not putting career above all else. I didn't appreciate all of that at the time but I sure do now.

So, Cube-Rat, they're not worthy of your flaming temper-- and don't give the b******s the satisfaction of seeing you break apart!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, did it in 82 while working in a dangerous job, I'd been saving for a plane ticket for almost two years when I was able to borrow from my Moms friend to make up my shortfall. I had the money that I needed and while out on a job for the boss I almost got killed. He got the good news from me and the following month (May 82) I arrived in NYC with about $260.00 and everything I owned packed into a plastic suitcase I bought from woolworths for $7. Boy was I scared, I knew nobody and wanted to get back on the plane. Looking back on it now , it took a long time to get above the water line but I would never trade the past 23 years for anything. the future is always brighter.
PJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Cube, been there, done that, more than once. *There was one particular occasion when I spent a fair amount of time thinking: buckshot or slugs (when I go postal). *I've been canned, almost canned and just got the hell out of dodge in these situations, never blown up. *I think that if it is possible, the best response is to retire on the job and start looking for something better. *If they do can you, at least you can collect unemployment while you take some R&R and find something better. *I'd also suggest finding something to take your frustrations out on. *Surely even San Fran (your location, IIRC) has a shooting range?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I don't think it is EVER a good idea to burn bridges. Take the high road! People can be petty and vindictive and you never know where your paths may cross again at some point.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #19

Thanks for all of the enlightening posts. I wish I could go into greater detail about the situation. I'll just say with ERP implementations comes chaos and upheaval. Within the chaotic soup are people who wear "I'm a total incompetent genius" sign on their head.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:44 PM   #20

You say

I ahve been offered a bettter opporunity and although it is hard to leave, the offer is too good.

Thank you for all your help, and if i need a future referance, is it al righ to use your name.

hired and Fired many, Fired 3 times myself, due to Take Overs.(Damn TYCO).