Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
You never had the inclination/drive/desire/wild hair to combine the two? Law and engineering?
How do you know what sort of law he practices?

Law graduates with engineering backgrounds typically find employment in intellectual property firms, or in construction law.

Quote:
I've heard thats where the big bucks are. Like 'Civil Action', the Travolta flick.
The sort of law practice depicted in the movie is personal injury litigation / toxic torts. A nuclear engineering background would not be particularly helpful in that line of work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Got an MSc. Became an unemployed physicist. I was most unhappy with this situation. Switched to acoustics engineering and was instantly employed due to math and computer skills, not physics knowledge. The physics background helped me spin up to speed fast on the acoustics areas. Jobs were OK, until I noticed what consultants in the field were doing. Acoustics died shortly after the Berlin Wall fell. Switched to software contract engineering and have been working ever since. Love it most of the time. It’s very easy for me, like putting a money bucket part way under a full flowing money faucet.

So, two significant career changes, from physicist to acoustic engineer to software contracting.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
How do you know what sort of law he practices?

<snip>
I don't. A wild assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
The sort of law practice depicted in the movie is personal injury litigation / toxic torts. A nuclear engineering background would not be particularly helpful in that line of work.
Who would I rather be questioned by? A lawyer with a engineering degree or 'just' a lawyer.

I'd definitely be more afraid of the double major.

You're saying Travolta's character wouldn't have been better if he had a Chem. Engr. degree?

... just lettin' my mind wander.

I heard an anecdote, regarding oil & gas issues. The lawyer asked the witness whether he had permission to be on the land. An engineer would've asked 10 other technical questions that would've nailed the witness as being negligent, or whatever. The lawyer wasn't familiar with the technical aspects, which was the whole reason the witness was in court to begin with.

-CC
Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #24

Quote:
I heard an anecdote, regarding oil & gas issues. The lawyer asked the witness whether he had permission to be on the land. An engineer would've asked 10 other technical questions that would've nailed the witness as being negligent, or whatever. The lawyer wasn't familiar with the technical aspects, which was the whole reason the witness was in court to begin with.
There are competent trial lawyers, and incompetent ones.

90% of competence comes from proper preparation. In the example provided, a competent lawyer would have prepared for the cross-examination by consulting with an appropriate expert (it would have been imprudent for him or her to have relied purely upon his or her own background knowledge of the "technical aspects").

That said, virtually any background experience or knowledge (medical, scientific, industry-specific, etc.) is potentially useful to a trial lawyer. But no specific background is necessary, and a generalist trial lawyer can usually triumph over someone who takes refuge in a narrow specialty (just ask Joe Jamail, 'The King of Torts').
Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #25
Administrator

I have done a variety of things in my legal career. Primarily, I have represented creditors and distressed investors in business bankruptcy cases.

However, at an earlier stage in my career, I also did construction litigation -- representing owners, architects, engineers and contractors. For that work, I found the engineering background to be quite useful.

Perhaps the most direct application of my nuclear engineering background came when I represented our local utility before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in connection with cost recovery for decommissioning a nuclear plant that the Company owned. When I first got the case, I needed to go to the plant to speak with the engineers who had prepared the cost estimates at issue. I said "Hi, I'm the company's lawyer". Silence. "No, really, I'm on your side" Silence. It was not until they learned that I was one of them that they were willing to speak with me. After that, everything was great.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpRyder View Post
It’s very easy for me, like putting a money bucket part way under a full flowing money faucet.
Yeah, no kidding. I see the contracts that go through for some of these SW contracts. They could make in 2/3 of a year what I make in a year. Even though there are rules with some companies making the contractors lose out on some of the high $, there is no rule that says the contractor can't go immediately and start working for another company.

Hm...this line of work may be better than being a entrepreneur. Any down sides? Come on, there must be.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet but I would like to

I have often fantasized about transitioning from Mega-Corp Engineering into education. I know that education is no panacea and that it has hugh issues and problems in its own right but I would like to work with people more and machines less. Maybe for the ten years or so I have to go before FIRE. Anyone out there changed to teaching as a career? How did it go?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Started out doing accounting work for small construction companies. Got bored with the work and tired of the stress. Ended up getting an MBA in the evening and doing operational finance work. Got into the telecom boom in 1996 and my salary doubled in 3 years. Since then I have given up on the hassles of managing employees and am back to being an individual performer doing pricing/contract/new business type work. Have given up on being a VP, but make a nice living at the senior manager/director level and still have a good work/home balance.

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATAMAN View Post
I have often fantasized about transitioning from Mega-Corp Engineering into education. I know that education is no panacea and that it has hugh issues and problems in its own right but I would like to work with people more and machines less. Maybe for the ten years or so I have to go before FIRE. Anyone out there changed to teaching as a career? How did it go?
One of my co-workers (also an engineer) went to go teach h.s. math for a couple of years and came back Sounds like she ended up with the remedial type students....might have had more to do with being low on seniority to get the better classes....
Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Hm...this line of work may be better than being a entrepreneur. Any down sides? Come on, there must be.
Downside, sure. No job security, you’re paid minute to minute, you can be terminated at any time. No benefits, except those you almost fully pay for. No marketing after you get the work, you have to do your own internal marketing. You cannot pis* off too many managers, especially the one you were hired to make look good. You have to placate or politely ignore envious employees you have to interact with. You have to generate substantially better work than other senior engineers. You have become one of the “go to guys” to keep demand for your skills up (its even better if you become a expert in several areas of the product line). You have to learn really, really fast things, you’re completely ignorant of, all the time maintaining an image that inspires confidence. You have to continuously produce low defect work product on time, almost regardless of your own time. You have to stick with the department/company/product when it looks like there is no money, almost all the employees are out job interviewing instead of working, 3% of the employees are leaving for other jobs and the company has started laying off “C” list employees and contractors (you have to at least be on the “B” list). You have to let the company end your work assignment and release you.

And for this you get lots of $$$ for usually a long, long time (5-15 yrs) and great references for the next big contract that comes in.

Sure there is lots of down side. But if you have the personality for it, its great.