Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Having children.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

We raised three boys and I love them all dearly; BUT, if I were to go back, I'd make the choice to be child free. One thing to remember--you'll always be worried about them no matter how old they are or what they are doing in life. Currently, DS2 is about to go through a divorce; DH and I are so hurting for him we can hardly stand it (he's 29). Just my 2 cents.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyopRanger
CyclingInvestor,

What did you think of Landis yesterday?
Best ride in decades. For a GC contender (barely) to break away on the first
of 4 climbs, stay away, catch the lead group, blow it apart, and win by 5 minutes
is incredible. The only contender for most amazing ride recently was Lemond
beting Fignon in the time trial on the final day to win the tour by 8 seconds,
but I think this one wins because of what happened the previous day.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it is very clear that everyone can be happy, having a child or not. It all depends about how you feel about parenthood.

As it is obvious from the post, I´m still undecided. However, at least I know now that there is happiness for a couple whithout children, if there is what they really want to.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #84

Some of this discussion seems pretty silly. Someone who does not have children can't know the happiness of having them. . . . Okay. But surely a couple that chooses to have children can't know the happiness of maturing and growing old without the distraction of children.

Many people who have children tell me it's the greatest thing in their lives. I believe them. Some people tell me that serving in the military was one of the greatest things that ever happened to them. I believe them. I've had people that told me that Alien was the best movie they ever saw and that it changed their lives. I believe them. But none of that means I would feel the same way. What a silly notion -- that we all would feel exactly the same way you do.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo
BUT, if I were to go back, I'd make the choice to be child free.
MANY, MANY, people have told me that, including my own mother and we weren't terrible kids.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
* What a silly notion -- that we all would feel exactly the same way you do.* *
Gosh sgeeeee, that's about the most meaningful comment that's been posted on this board!* What a concept!* We might not all feel the same way about something.......

Well stated.* Thanks!
Old 07-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #87

Something about societal pressures and having children. We waited 5 years after we got married to have a child. When we got around to having a child the next question was "When are you having another one?" My new response is "it's about quality not quantity."
Old 07-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
My new response is "it's about quality not quantity."*
I like that one--I'm an only brat child.

I also don't think I would be happy raising children--I'm sure it is the right choice for others, but for me, personally, I can live a happier and more fulfilling life without them.
segfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #89

Quote:
I like that one--I'm an only brat child.
I am an only child too. My son is already learning to use his imagination when no other kids are around. Occassionally he'll draft me into watching Bambi 2 for the 10th time.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #90

Kids add both joy and stress to your life. They shape your life, like your spouse does and your work and hobbies and even thought processes. A life with children isn't more "full" than a childfree life--it's just full of somewhat different things. It would be like saying a life with work is more "full" than early retirement (perish the thought!).

I can't explain how proud, yet how stressed I feel when my daughter works in Africa. Her longest trip ever is coming up--10 months in Zambia researching the quality of their democracy. Alone except for translators she will hire for tribal villages. Occasionally I wish she were an advertising executive or starving artist : After she visits us in late August, I won't see her again until we meet at Victoria Falls next year...Dr Livingstone, I presume?!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I can't explain how proud, yet how stressed I feel when my daughter works in Africa. Her longest trip ever is coming up--10 months in Zambia researching the quality of their democracy. Alone except for translators she will hire for tribal villages. Occasionally I wish she were an advertising executive or starving artist* :
I hate it when we teach our kids to be inquisitive, independent, and to follow their dreams.

And then the little ingrates do exactly what we taught them to do with no regard for our own personal comfort level...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I'm 32 and DH is 36. This is a second marriage for both of us and we have been married for 4 years. We definitely want children, but wanted to spend some time together as a married couple first. Mom seems to think that the longer we wait, the less we'll want them. She doesn't give up.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I hate it when we teach our kids to be inquisitive, independent, and to follow their dreams.
And then the little ingrates do exactly what we taught them to do with no regard for our own personal comfort level...
Very well put! I know I wish there were more like her--and like my son the science teacher. But I'll be sweating whenever I don't hear from her for a couple of days. I can't imagine the stress of the parent/spouse of a serviceperson in a war zone--puts me to shame.

Seriously, maybe this is one reason why some parents give their kids a narrow focus: to keep them from straying into emotionally or physically threatening territory.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
Mom seems to think that the longer we wait, the less we'll want them. She doesn't give up.
Tell her that you interpret her nagging as meaning at least 14 years of free childcare...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:18 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now that we have gotten past the serious stuff, I am reminded about what Robert Heinlein said about raising children [he had none himself]:

When they are born, put them into a barrel and feed them through the bung hole.

When they turn 18, put a cork in the bung.