Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Having Identity Crisis
Old 07-10-2004, 05:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always a tough choice. At your salary, you're probably thinking along the lines of a BMW 325i or an Audi A4. I know. My friends have those, and they are nice, but just the fact that they always have to worry about where they park their cars or whether the HID lights are going to get boosted is enough to convince me that those entry-luxury cars aren't worth the trouble.

Think back to 10 years ago about how great the then-new 240SX looked and how proud it made you feel being seen driving it, and then think about how it makes you feel now. The Bimmer's going to be same old drag 10 years from now.

Quote:
Well, i've always been fascinated by the concept of retiring early. I'll never forget seeing my first compounding, investment chart. I also found the personality article on the main page interesting since i am a heavy INTJ (strong score on all 4 attributes).

That being said, there's the other side of me that says, you know, i've busted my ass, earned a masters degree, have a great job, and i'm driving a 10-year old nissan 240sx! Sure, if i went by the defacto worlds standards, i could alleviate that and drive a really nice car today. The part of me that knows i've worked so hard says i deserve it now.....

Hh well, i'll be tormented by this, but in the meantime, i'll just keep treading water and keep the 240sx

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Keep it 15 more years and its a classic!

25 and its retro and cool!

35 more and its close to antique!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:30 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Heh Heh, cars and motorcycles are my weakness, but only the older classic ones, not the new ones. I buy, fix, drive and sell some neat cars/bikes when I have the extra time, and this is one thing I want to ER to do. It makes me a little extra $$ to fund my hobby, and keeps me in cool convertibles and slick Harleys. Of course, I think they're cool cause' they're what I like, and I don't see someone else driving the latest year, better model, blah blah car that I don't have yet. In fact, just passing the same model of car is usually rare, and almost always calls for the "thumbs up" sign. Probably some male ego here, but hey, that's nothing I'm short of !

-pan-

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:01 AM   #24

Yeah panhead, I too have a weakness for bikes and
cars (also boats). Can't stand to go around in a beater,
even though that would fit my budget. Know what you mean about the "thumbs up" thing. I owned 2 Mazda
Miatas. While not really rare, I used to get the "thumbs up" from other owners. Anyway, they were cheap
to buy, cheap to own, economical to drive and fun.
I really miss them.

John Galt
Old 07-11-2004, 06:50 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Mazda Miatas eh ? I recently got into MGs just because they were cheap. The midget I picked up for next to nothing really reminds me of the miatas, except it isn't nearly as reliable . Having the hobby of fixing and selling allows me to enjoy them while only adding to my budget. I'm not sure I can make "real" money doing this, but I never lose money, and it keeps my hobby going. As for boats, it's all over, I bought my first boat only a few weeks ago. As per my usual way, it is broken and needs love and affection from me. At least it was cheap to begin with, we'll see if it ends up that way ! (1970's Glastron, 17' 4 cylinder volvo penta I/O).

-pan-
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:15 AM   #26

Spending is a balancing act, just like most of life. You have to identify what is important to you and then spend accordingly. Whether it is time or money. It's hard to do it all, so you have to do or spend in the ways that are important to you.

Cars are somewhat important to me, so I do indulge in a new car once in a while. However when I was in my first 20 years of accumulation I drove used cars, looking forward to the days when I could drive what I wanted.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ive always enjoyed sports cars, harleys, and boats also. But Ive always bought used and what I believed was a good price. The cheapest cars Ive owned have been corvettes. I currently have a 911 Porsche, Its a 72 model. It isn't getting any cheaper.

I guess its my age but I prefer the older classic's. Its nice driving something different that everyone else and you can get some real nice cars for $10k-$20k that arn't depreatiating at a rapid rate.