Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Hey Corporate Soldier!

It's been over two months since the last post on this threa. How are you doing?

Hope all is well!

haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
I made several personal rules that saved some sleep, allowed me to dodge some arrows, and retire with self-respect/reputation intact:

1. No matter what the meeting or location of a conversation (ie. ladies room, water cooler), I refused to say anything about anybody that I would not readily say to him/her in person.

2. Memorized the "Serenity Prayer": "Help me realize what can and cannot be changed, and be some kind of 'instrument of peace' (no matter what the politics or pressure)."

3. LISTEN (ad nauseum): politics seem to result from struggling egos and frustrated venting. Many times, people just need to be heard; they might not even expect you to fix the problem. (This also helped me to just keep my mouth shut!)

4. Check my ego at the door. Be open about what I can and cannot accomplish, yet still maintain the same professional output of previous decades.
Those are really good rules for anyone, at any time in their career. I'm going to make an effort to consciously adopt them.

ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by CorporateSoldier View Post
Recently i have begun wondering how someone in great physical shape who doesn't smoke or drink, sees the doctor regularly can have acid reflux, chronic tension headaches and high blood pressure.
Magnesium deficiency has been linked as a factor in high blood pressure, headaches, acid reflux and anxiety. Most American don't get enough in the average diet -

MAGNESIUM: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by haloFIRE View Post
Hey Corporate Soldier!

It's been over two months since the last post on this threa. How are you doing?

Hope all is well!
Thanks for asking. Overall, quite a bit better the past couple of months. Mostly due to figuring out how to navigate corporate politics better. Part of that is seeing it as a game that just needs to be played. I do wonder though if you sell a bit of your soul when you do that.

Short answer though is much better, feel much more confident about being able to stick it out for a couple more years.

CorporateSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote