Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Somebody who wants to be a compelling "inspirational" story teller isn't going to give you a balanced view. * Taking risks when you're young isn't bad advice. * Warning about the inflationary risks of a fiat currency isn't bad either. * *If the "inspired" readers of his can't figure out that leverage can be bad, gold-backed dollars can lead to deflation, and risks have downside as well as upside, then they will be screwed in life. * You can't protect people from themselves.
__________________

__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #22
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_et
* I don't see him as a scam artist or scheister.* He doesn't promise anything.* If he said, "buy this from me, and I guarantee you will be a millionaire" he would be a scam artist.* He sells information and opinion.* Go to the business section of any bookstore or library and you will find dozens of others doing the same thing.
My biggest problem with him is that he was on Public TV (A supposedly credible venue).

When you tell the masses that saving slowly in 401K's is a fools game and start leveraging your money in Real Estate. This put him in the Scam Artist arena for me! *- This is not good investing information for the general public. If he was just selling books, it would not bother me so much. When you start appearing on Public TV - Shame on public TV and the 'Dude" doing a 'Public Service'.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

I think all of these book selling demagogues/gurus all have some little twist to differentiate themselves. It has to be hard to sell books/seminars/magazines and not have some level of sensationalism. That said, dont blindly trust anything.
__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Somebody who wants to be a compelling "inspirational" story teller isn't going to give you a balanced view. Taking risks when you're young isn't bad advice. Warning about the inflationary risks of a fiat currency isn't bad either. If the "inspired" readers of his can't figure out that leverage can be bad, gold-backed dollars can lead to deflation, and risks have downside as well as upside, then they will be screwed in life. You can't protect people from themselves.
All right, Wab, how much is he paying you?!?!?!
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I think all of these book selling demagogues/gurus all* have some little twist to differentiate themselves. It has to be hard to sell books/seminars/magazines and not have some level of sensationalism. That said, dont blindly trust anything.
Bingo!* *Which is the greater evil: following conventional dogma that may or may not work; or listening to some guy who makes you think for yourself, argue with your buddies, and do some fact finding for yourself?
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 05:36 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 25
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
My biggest problem with him is that he was on Public TV (A supposedly credible venue).

When you tell the masses that saving slowly in 401K's is a fools game and start leveraging your money in Real Estate. This put him in the Scam Artist arena for me! - This is not good investing information for the general public. If he was just selling books, it would not bother me so much. When you start appearing on Public TV - Shame on public TV and the 'Dude" doing a 'Public Service'.
I agree that he has no place on Public TV. Still doesn't make him a scam artist. If William O'Neil, founder of Investor's Business Daily and author of several investing books, appeared on Public TV, you may disagree with him. After all, he encourages a system that involves technical analysis and trading of stocks. It has worked very well for him and many of his readers. For others, it does not work, or is not the preferred method of investing. But it doesn't make William O'Neil a scam artist either.

If Kiyosaki is of the opinion that people are better off leveraging their money in real estate, he has the right to sell his opinion if anyone is willing to pay. Oddly enough, many are willing.

If someone wrote a compelling book about the value of variable annuities and whole life insurance, many would disagree. If this writer somehow captured the imagination of millions and became a bestseller, would he be a scam artist? If he directed the readers to a website where those products were sold by him for exorbitant commissions, then perhaps yes. If the author wrote a follow up book which became a best seller, then some tapes which were widely sold, and did seminars for packed houses, not a scam artist. Just a very good marketer with a disagreeable message.
__________________
usc_et is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_et
If Kiyosaki is of the opinion that people are better off leveraging their money in real estate, he has the right to sell his opinion if anyone is willing to pay.* Oddly enough, many are willing.
The favorite guy around here is William Bernstein. Smart guy. He sells advice and asset management services to people he persuades to believe in passive index investing. Brilliant -- people pay to have him do nothing or tell them to do nothing.
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

You know, this discussion has convinced me that new investors need a more balanced information diet.* *Like many of you, I try to push Bernstein as a good book because his approach is back-tested.* *But wealth comes from a combination of inspiration, perspiration, compounding, and luck.* *I don't think one book covers all of those elements very well.
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
My biggest problem with him is that he was on Public TV (A supposedly credible venue).

When you tell the masses that saving slowly in 401K's is a fools game and start leveraging your money in Real Estate. This put him in the Scam Artist arena for me! *- This is not good investing information for the general public. If he was just selling books, it would not bother me so much. When you start appearing on Public TV - Shame on public TV and the 'Dude" doing a 'Public Service'.
Who says Public TV is a "credible venue"? Not me!

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
cube_rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,466
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Wow, looks like he's even selling "financial coaching" sessions :P :

http://www.richdad.com/pages/coaching.asp



__________________
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
USC_ET,

I admit Kiyosaki brings diversity to the finance discussions.* I just think diversity like this can be dangerous.*

My beef with Kiyosaki is that he puts himself out there as an expert.* I personally think he made all his money from selling how-to-get-rich books, tapes, seminars, and board games.* Sure, he's dabbled in real estate and other businesses (if you believe him).*

If you follow his advice, it can be very damaging.* He doesn't know what he is talking about in regards to many financial and business decisions.* I've seen people close to me fall for his "advice", until I showed them the light.* Take, for example, the average person who isn't able to get a good job or make passive investments in the stock market via index funds or the like.* Will this person be successful in running a start-up business or flipping real estate like Kiyosaki advocates?* Probably not.* They'll use up all their credit and savings (if any) on some crazy business or real estate deal.* Then they're broke, looking for the next "financial guru" to get advice on how to get rich quick.*

Kiyosaki's one redeeming quality is that I think he is on to something when he discusses things such as houses and cars as being "liabilities" instead of "assets" (his rationale: cars and houses have carrying costs that are paid by the owner: loan interest, insurance, maintenance, etc. and they don't produce income.* Income production is the defining characteristic of an "asset" in Kiyosaki parlance).* I think of "things" in the same terms.* For items from a car to a toaster oven there is usually a cost to acquire, cost to maintain, cost to insure, cost to operate, cost to store, cost to upgrade, cost to dispose, and the opportunity cost of all these other costs.* This way of looking at "stuff" helps me buy less of it.*
That is pretty much my way of looking at "stuff" also. *Income production being
used to define "asset" is a valuable approach IMHO. *I recall when I was
in the paper business, I used to explain it to my employees like this.........
When most people walked through my factory, they saw machinery,
stacks of paper, supplies, etc. *When I walked through, all of these
things appeared to me as piles of cash, because cash was invested
and eventually would be returned (hopefully). *Not sure of they got the
concept, but it has served me well.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #32
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Who says Public TV is a "credible venue"?* Not me!

JG
My point exactly!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
You know, this discussion has convinced me that new investors need a more balanced information diet. Like many of you, I try to push Bernstein as a good book because his approach is back-tested. But wealth comes from a combination of inspiration, perspiration, compounding, and luck. I don't think one book covers all of those elements very well.
I wholeheartedly agree, that's why I read one of his books, to branch out from the Bernstein crowds thinking, and hear an alternative viewpoint. But half way through it I said, "he keeps telling me how good it's going to be, how many ladies will throw themselves at me and how large my house will be, but he's not saying how!". He starts out with some legit points, then goes off into la-la land. The books are basically sales pamphletes to get you to the meeting, where he makes most of his money. In fact, he never made a fortune in real estate! His first major home purchase was after he started seminars! I'm all for differing viewpoints, but this guy is a scam and a liar. Wab, you have given ten times as much good advice on this board than this guy has given in his lifetime, I garantee it.

But if you know of anyone who differs significantly from Bernstein's viewpoint and you feel is legit, I'd like to read their stuff, believe me.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Hmm, I have visions of the Wab Investment Ranch....

Look around you. On this site, we have people who became wealthy through real estate, their own business, single company stocks, pension, market timing, value investing, LBYM, and long-term buy-and-hold.

Bernstein is a good book for the buy-and-hold strategy.

Maybe others can recommend good books in some of the other categories, including books that are mostly motivational, like I assume Kiyosaki is.

I made most of my money on the entrepreneurial side. I'm not sure there are great books in that realm -- the best teacher is experience. Some schools offer "lab" classes in which you write a biz plan, marketing plan, etc, and actually launch a low-overhead business. I think that should be required for everybody, and even failure will teach you a bunch.

My personal philosophy is to spread your bets around, but betting on yourself gives you the most control over the outcome.
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 45
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Well, I was one of the suckaz who bought two of his books. YOu would think I would have learned after the first one I find his books boring and he really doesn't say much. The only thing I liked from his book was the "mind your own business" part. I do believe in order to be FIRE, owning some type of business is important. A J.O.B(just over broke) won't do it. I got sucked in cause I saw him on Oprah.

I'm glad Oprah had David Bach on cause he really changed my thinking about money and becoming wealthy. I'll stick with him, Suze Orman, and this board
__________________
yAyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Hmm, I have visions of the Wab Investment Ranch....

Look around you.* *On this site, we have people who became wealthy through real estate, their own business, single company stocks, pension, market timing, value investing, LBYM, and long-term buy-and-hold.

Bernstein is a good book for the buy-and-hold strategy.

Maybe others can recommend good books in some of the other categories, including books that are mostly motivational, like I assume Kiyosaki is.

I made most of my money on the entrepreneurial side.* *I'm not sure there are great books in that realm -- the best teacher is experience.* *Some schools offer "lab" classes in which you write a biz plan, marketing plan, etc, and actually launch a low-overhead business.* *I think that should be required for everybody, and even failure will teach you a bunch.

My personal philosophy is to spread your bets around, but betting on yourself gives you the most control over the outcome.
Great post! Now that you have brought it up, I "made most of my money
(what little I have) on the entreprenuerial side" also. Without that, the
way I was going as a "salary man", "possum living" might have been my
only ER option. I could have done it, but it would have been
skinny in the extreme.
BTW, some of my biggest earnings years were working for others,
but I never was a LBYM type. Nope, my ER skids were greased
mainly by doing my own thing when the epiphany hit. Interesting.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:28 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.
TargaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 588
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

I remember glancing at his books in the store and passing on them. I just can't stand that writing style. Too cultish for me. I bought Steve Leeb's book instead, I think it's titled "The Oil Factor". Much more my style of investing education.

Kiyosaki's article did make an OK point (inflation kills old fashioned saving and fiat currencies lead to inflation) but I still don't like the delivery.
__________________
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:45 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
I remember glancing at his books in the store and passing on them. I just can't stand that writing style.* Too cultish for me.* I bought Steve Leeb's book instead, I think it's titled "The Oil Factor".* Much more my style of investing education.*

Kiyosaki's article did make an OK point (inflation kills old fashioned saving and fiat currencies lead to inflation) but I still don't like the* delivery.*
Well, I almost never buy any new books (or magazines or newspapers),
but I too have perused his stuff in bookstores. He makes some good points, but he could have made them much more briefly. OTOH, many many
wildly successful books are similar. Guess it goes back to......................
take a little bit of information and inflate it with words until
you have a book/article/column/etc. It seems to be a successful system.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

Hmmm

The epiphany hit me after a layoff at age 49.

Always a salary man - boring as paint drying - DCA to the max into 401k and IRA over a long period of time - all my other 'great' ventures came to about 10-20% of ER stash - sold and consumed the duplex in the stretch.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #40
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Re: Help me save yahoo finance...

I learned more from the "Possum Living" book online than from Kiyosagi's books.*

I know some unbelievable stupid people who have blindly followed him into incredible debt.* He's what we call a "slickster".*

But "Possum Living" , now that one just needs a little bit more polish (and maybe just a glossing over of the rabbit skinning process) and I could see it on the front counter at B+N.* *
Sarah (who thought WE were frugal!)
__________________

__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you teach in Intro to Personal Finance? Peaceful_Warrior Other topics 18 04-24-2007 12:11 PM
Did you continue to save in retirement? JustCurious FIRE and Money 17 04-17-2007 09:18 AM
Yahoo "Finance Quiz" Walker101 FIRE and Money 242 06-15-2004 11:56 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.