Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Help me save yahoo finance...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:29 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This crowd watches waaaay too much TV. What, are you retired or something?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2005, 06:31 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

LOL

I try not to miss Suze's show. I don't buy any of her products but I love her show. When people ask her about borrow from their 401k to purchase something or pay debt, her reaction is priceless

Old 10-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Eddie Murphy already did "Be a Ho" (from SNL).
I guessed I missed that one.* *Maybe I do need to watch more TV.

I Wanna Be a Ho

On a classic skit on NBCs SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Eddie Murphy portrayed Velvet Jones, a supposed educator from the Velvet Jones School of Technology. One of the books (and courses) he offered was how to be a prostitute. His sales pitch said: "Are you a female high school dropout, between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five?...Are you tired of lying around in bed all day with nothing to do? Well. you never need get up again, because in six short weeks I can train you to be high paying ho...Just think-fifteen hundred dollars a week, without even leading the comfort of your own bedroom.. Sound too good to be true? Just send for my new book, "I Wanna Be a Ho."

Velvet Jones follow-up publications included "I Wanna Drive a Pink Cadillac, Wear Diamond Rings and Kick Women in the Butt." (his how to be a Pimp guidebook); The Velvet Jones Harlequin Romance series featuring Velvet Love and Kicked in the Butt by Love ("I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."); and an exciting new videocassette The Exercises of Love marketed with these telling word "Yes, it's all here: the squatting, the thrusting, the grunting and the groaning. Take it from Velvet, these are exercises you will want to watch again and again."

Old 10-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
She had some basic good advice, except advoiding folks like her. When I saw her on TV encouraging people to borrow money for Chevy Trucks the word Whore hypocrite kept popping in my mind.
With apologies to George Bernard Shaw, we're not arguing about her occupation-- we're just haggling over the price.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I guessed I missed that one.* *Maybe I do need to watch more TV.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=bitch+slap

no need to holmes slice, look it all up on da internet
Old 10-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I think $200 for the Cashflow 101 board game is exorbitant. Go to his site richdad.com and see if you think he charges exorbitant prices.
In one of his books, he explains why the intentional high price.

His game is only for the REAL SUCKERS REALLY SERIOUS "want to get mega-rich now" people.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:40 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

I can think of three - none of whom read 'The Millionire Next Door' - at least I don't think so.

1. Make it through high school - buy a used dump truck - hussle for a while - add a dozer, backhoe and perhaps another dump truck and an equipment garage. Let your wife do paperwork while you use the cell/two way to conduct business - drive the dozer once in a while for fun. BTY - the driveway and rock jetty he put in - show up post Katrina on the satelite photo - he did a good job.

2. Marry a strong woman - who can finish concrete as well as you - work independant - no job too small. Our below the front porch patio - can't tell from the photo.

3. Become a Fireman - run a small shop (over the cell) specializing in 'hot rodding' waveriders and 'other' boats.

Three off the top of my head - could - but probably won't ER.

Heh heh heh

More than one way to skin a cat.

Post Katrina - 1. and 2. above have 'more than enough' work as they used to say down there.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_hatched
In one of his books, he explains why the intentional high price.

His game is only for the REAL SUCKERS REALLY SERIOUS "want to get mega-rich now" people.
I actually played the game a few years ago. It's quite good for teaching people about keeping what you earn, avoiding high fixed expenses, choosing among stocks & real estate & other investments, and handling life's little surprises. ("Congratulations-- triplets!!") And if you get dealt the wrong profession, you have to stick with it for the entire game. Janitors beat the rat race a lot more than brain surgeons.

I think it'd catch on like gangbusters in middle schools. What was frightening was the number of adults playing the game who couldn't (1) evaluate their options and (2) make a freaking decision.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
("Congratulations-- triplets!!")
Is there a card that says "Too bad -- you just spent $200 on a board game. The future value of your net worth gets set back by $5000!"
Old 10-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

This guy learned from the game!:

http://tinyurl.com/c3uum

This is what the cover of my cashflow game would look like:

Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And if you get dealt the wrong profession, you have to stick with it for the entire game. Janitors beat the rat race a lot more than brain surgeons.
I think it'd catch on like gangbusters in middle schools.
Maybe there will be a spike in students becoming janitors.

I *knew* I picked the wrong profession! This now confirms it.
Do you think it's ever too late to become a janitor?

So are you saying the brain surgeons didn't understand the concept of LBYM? Or did they get dealt different expenses because of their profession?
In real life, maybe you have more say in your level of expenses.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_hatched
So are you saying the brain surgeons didn't understand the concept of LBYM?* Or did they get dealt different expenses because of their profession?
In real life, maybe you have more say in your level of expenses.
It's a board game, not a sophisticated multi-CPU networked simulator. So the game rules say that your expenses are fixed and that surgeons have high fixed expenses. But it is fun to watch people cheer when they're dealt the janitor card and grumble when they find out that they're a brain surgeon.

I think most brain surgeons have no incentive to learn or practice LBYM. Perhaps it's all those years of penury internship & residency where the only thing keeping them going is the thought of helping patients buying that Beemer. Which is a shame considering that they end up abandoning all the LBYM skills they've picked up.

When spouse and I are debating whether or not to make some hedonistic purchase, I can't help remembering that I lived for months on end in a space that was 6' high, 6' deep, 3' wide, supplemented by a three-stack of 6'x2' "bunk beds", with a storage closet of about 12 cubic feet, and surrounded by stainless-steel decor. The memory might not stop that particular purchase, but it certainly cuts down on the gimmes.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:49 AM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
This guy learned from the game!:

http://tinyurl.com/c3uum

This is what the cover of my cashflow game would look like:

I'd buy the game if it had that cover
Old 10-23-2005, 11:13 PM   #74

Quote:
When spouse and I are debating whether or not to make some hedonistic purchase, I can't help remembering that I lived for months on end in a space that was 6' high, 6' deep, 3' wide, supplemented by a three-stack of 6'x2' "bunk beds", with a storage closet of about 12 cubic feet, and surrounded by stainless-steel decor. The memory might not stop that particular purchase, but it certainly cuts down on the gimmes.
Either you've served time in prison, or on a submarine. I'm leaning towards submarine, because most prison cells are rather luxurious compared to what you've described.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help me save Business Week

If we haven't beaten this thread to death yet, here's Business Week's 21 Nov "correction" to their 14 Nov "article" (and I use that term loosely) on Abigail's feud with father Ned at Fidelity:

"In fact we relied not on interviews with either Johnson, but rather on prepared statements that Fidelity sent us in answer to our questions.* Edward Johnson said...* Abigail Johnson said... These quotes do not support the conclusion we drew from them.* Further, we should have made clear that they were provided by the company and not the result of interviews.* We regret these errors in judgment and the departure from our jounalistic standards."

"But, boy, did we sell a lot of magazines."* (OK, I added that last quote.)

It reads to me as if BW was soundly spanked by Fidelity, who probably threatened to send them a houseboat with a midget crew if they didn't straighten out their act.

Luckily BW took the initiative to improve their journalism standards by hiring that hard-hitting harbinger of high-quality investigative reporting...

Maria Bartiromo??!

So in the last couple months my subscription dollars have purchased stories about Fidelity's fabled alcohol-fueled bacchanals & family feuds, Jim Cramer in a truly offensive photo spread, and... the CNBC Money Honey.

Hey, I don't expect BW to aspire to the same journalistic standards (or readability) of The Economist-- but I am looking for a little something above the quality of the National Enquirer. Maybe I just need to look for it somewhere else.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM   #76

Interesting note: Kiyosaki's latest piece on Yahoo Finance was focused on mutual funds. Kiyosaki, for the first time ever, was correct. Costs matter, and avoid the high ER mutual funds. Pick index funds because they are much cheaper.

I guess his ghost writer finally did some research.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #77
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, I just signed into this site for the first time, I just was wondering what is on the web and quick tips to make money. I do think Robert Kiyosaki is a bit watered down for many informed folks, but I think he is pretty good. He is way better than many of the other booksellers out there. I bet the seminars suck though, I haven't experienced those yet. I think that Robert Kiyosaki is good for most of the uninformed Americans out there, and I disagree with this blog. Is there a site for that idiot Fleckinstein, or Bill Gross, or Suze Orman, I haven't got there yet, but they suck!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #78
Confused about dryer sheets

I like your idea WAB, but I disagree with Justin about removing five steps out of the plan. And I think you started too late. You can buy a three flat, for the same amount of credit it takes to buy just one condo. I had about $20,000 from living at home my parents, saving from a $36,000 job for a year or two. I had good/excellent credit about 725ish (cause it fluctuates) and bought one three flat 100% loaned out. I could have lived in it, but I stayed home and bought a second three flat really quick. Everything was going very well. (Things have changed for me truthfully, and I am really stretching in the last two or three months, because I am converting the units to condos, so I may have went too big spending 20-30 thousand to fix up the units). But I am only 26. I bought the buildings 14 months and 8 months ago, and its possible I may make like 300-400 thousand. However because of the possible housing bubble, I may not be able to sell, and I will be bankrupt as heck. The huge price change in my collective properties, is because of rapid genrification in the areas of Chicago I bought in, and my decision to sub-divide one the properties into condos and sell into the craze. So hopefully this will work out, because I will be one big loser if I am wrong. Good luck dreamers, and go big and fail young if need be.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan
I like your idea WAB, but I disagree with Justin about removing five steps out of the plan.
Hey, if Kiyosaki can give an incomplete, barely comprehensible approach to making money and getting rich quick, why not follow his lead and sell a brazillion books doing so. If you put all ten steps in your first book, you can't sell the next 17 in the series! We're about making money off of suckers here, not providing honest, useful advice.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Hey, if Kiyosaki can give an incomplete, barely comprehensible approach to making money and getting rich quick, why not follow his lead and sell a brazillion books doing so.* If you put all ten steps in your first book, you can't sell the next 17 in the series!* We're about making money off of suckers here, not providing honest, useful advice.
The key is to make hard work sound easy, knowing full well that when people actually try to do what you suggest, it turns out to be more difficult than they thought.

Health clubs do an amazing job of this...and they get monthly revenue from members who don't show up after a couple of months. Just wait until January. The gyms will be crowded with New Years Resolutioners, who by late-February will be gone (but will still have to pay for the 12-month, 24-month or 36-month membership at $50 a month).

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote