Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Help me stop my constant worrying about retirement!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sister works for Goodwill - back when she worked in Bellevue. WA - they had a collectible/antique appraiser on staff.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
My sister works for Goodwill -* back when she worked in Bellevue. WA - they had a collectible/antique appraiser on staff.
That would be my wife, although she's "independent".

BTW, anyone here read Chinese characters? We have a few pictographs on a piece of pottery that we're trying to decode...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
That's too bad.* Most of my wardrobe comes from our Pearl City branch, and it's not unusual to see retailer's stock dumped directly from the store to the Goodwill.

Our kid's bicycle was half the price of the bike shop next door.* It still had sale tags on it.*

One time my spouse was going through the old clothes.* Our kid was bored, so she picked up a kimono laying on a pile of clothing and started to take it apart.* Apparently the Goodwill staff wasn't aware of the Asian practice of stashing cash in a fine kimono because a $100 bill dropped on the floor.* Our kid picked up the bill and opened her mouth to say something, my spouse clapped a hand over her face and hustled her out the door, and everyone went home happy.

Last month we saw a lady at the register pay $15 for a Lladro.* We went home and looked it up-- it's retailing for $125.

I like being able to buy books for under $1 and taking them on vacation.* I don't have to worry about losing them and I don't care enough to drag them home.
I frequently go about attired head to toe in Goodwill or similar
resale clothing. In fact, I am wearing a quite attractive golf shirt as I type.
Other stuff I mostly buy to resell. Some of these shops will even
negotiate. I bought one of my fav. books ever for .50. Unfortunately,
I lent it out to a friend.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #64

I have to admit that I don't go to Goodwill very often even though it is right across the hall from where I work. I had been to Wal-mart looking for a black belt to wear with a pair of black shorts that I had recently bought and when I did not find the one that I wanted there, I decided to see if Goodwill had one that I liked. They did have one and I started browsing. I am not normally a shopper and have to be in the right mood to browse, but I was and found several good buys that day. That is one reason that I don't go there very often, since I don't like to shop. However, when I find good buys, I don't care where I find them.

A church friend e-mailed me that she was having a moving/garage sale on Saturday and I bought lots of books totalling $11.25. Most of the books ranged in price from .25-.50 and 4 or 5 were $1.00. Lots of good reading and several cookbooks which I love to look through. Hope to start using the cookbooks more when I stop working and have more time.

As we were walking away, I saw a huge bag of bundles of wash cloths and towels and told my spouse that I wished I had seen them earlier. He said the big bundles of wash cloths were $1.00 each and the towels were $1.00 each. I wanted to go back so bad and get them, but did not have the time, since we had to go pick up our daughter from band camp and I did not want to be late. Oh well, I guess my priorities are right and there will always be another great bargain.

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Nords,

Quote:
BTW, anyone here read Chinese characters? We have a few pictographs on a piece of pottery that we're trying to decode...
Could take a shot if you want to post a scan, though no promises.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Hi Nords,

Could take a shot if you want to post a scan, though no promises.

Bpp
Thanks-- I'll start a new thread here.

(Edited to add the link.)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #67

Re:* used stuff

When I first came to the US, cousins and aunts gave me hand-me-down winter clothing and I really appreciated them.* After getting done with school and getting a job though, I "moved up" to shopping at the malls.* It's only been in the last five years or so that I've started buying clothes, dishes, and books at the St. Vincent de Paul's store here.* Reasons are a combination of cheapness/frugality and slowing down filling landfills.

I live in a university town and right about now is moving time for students.* (It's been termed "Hippie Christmas" by one local radio personality.) There are lots of stuff on the curbs, and the garbage collectors have a hard time keeping up with collecting all of them.*

Some (mostly young) folks have organized an informal centralized drop-off a block from where I work.* Anyone (even non-hippies like me) can browse and get what they want for free.* Last year, I scored a pair of jeans and nice long-sleeved T-shirt there.* This year, I've been too busy at work to stop by.* Besides, I have too many clothes already.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Friends of ours regularly shop on Hippie Christmas. They live near a number of private, elite schools. Most all their electronics come from college student cast offs.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #69

Yes, students' cast-off electronics, suitcases, and furniture are all over the sidewalks for the taking.*
BF brought home a couple of boomboxes, suitcases, and shelves a couple of Hippie Christmases ago.* His standards are not as high as mine : and so I picked the better items and donated the others to St. Vinny's.* He protested but we really need to set Koala-T standards for our "gleaned" stuff.

flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

What are the chances of a 4% withdraw rate with 3% inflation lasting 35 years?
nellieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #71

Nellieb:

The question should be "what are the chances of not running out of money with a 4 percent withdrawal rate - given that 35 years of low inflation is not probable"

Who knows the answer to the future ?

History however, suggests that a 4 percent withdrawal rate is safe given the performance of stocks and bonds. That's the best you'll get.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellieb
What are the chances of a 4% withdraw rate with 3% inflation lasting 35 years?
You might want to take a look here for some help:

http://www.fireseeker.com/