Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

So, we met with the guy and, being stubborn, I didn't take the advice, and proceeded to get into an argument with him over whole. I told him to not even start his pitch because there was no way we were doing it. I've talked it over with DH, he's on board with me for term. As for disability, the guy brought it up, and we do need a little bit more coverage for DH, my income is only icing, and going to disappear when a little one comes into the picture (hopefully within the next year).

Thanks for all of the advice. I really appreciate it!
Miss_Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I visited my mother today, and we called Prudential about the whole life policies. As I was sure, she was mistaken. I knew she couldn't owe $24K in taxes on a $39K surrender policy. It was $24K taxable. She's been paying her $600/year on the policy, racking up those monstrous 3% dividends since 1966. What a scam. And the policies were sold to her by her trusted insurance agent, my uncle (her brother). He's 84 and not all there now, so you can't really get mad at him. It just goes to show how the agents can convince themselves that they are really helping their clients while they are actually helping themselves.

Anyway, I doubt if she had gotten term she would have invested the difference, so maybe this worked out for the best. The money will be there if she needs it in the future. Otherwise it will pass to me tax free. I don't need it, and maybe I'll do the "buy the policy" thing from her, giving her cash now. I'll need to figure out how to word it so she doesn't get her dander up.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
How big was the face?

It was $1M, but he was in his 70's and not in great shape.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote