Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone may have brought this up already, but with a starting salary of $120k per year, you will almost certainly be working for a large law firm. You should consider the attrition rate. The larger the firm (and salary), the more hours you're expected to bill, and the harder it is to take vacation time. Many people get burnt out after a year or two. Of those who stay, very few will make partner. In a nutshell, you may be in a position where you have to take a pay cut to maintain your health, sanity, friendships, etc... Just something to think about.

Edit: Also, will you be paid as a W-2 employee or a 1099 contractor? If you're a 1099, you will pay double Medicare/FICA tax and will probably file quarterly estimated taxes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault View Post
Someone may have brought this up already, but with a starting salary of $120k per year, you will almost certainly be working for a large law firm. You should consider the attrition rate. The larger the firm (and salary), the more hours you're expected to bill, and the harder it is to take vacation time. Many people get burnt out after a year or two. Of those who stay, very few will make partner. In a nutshell, you may be in a position where you have to take a pay cut to maintain your health, sanity, friendships, etc... Just something to think about.

Edit: Also, will you be paid as a W-2 employee or a 1099 contractor? If you're a 1099, you will pay double Medicare/FICA tax and will probably file quarterly estimated taxes.
W-2. I haven't heard of too many 1099 positions offered to associates. In order to be covered under the firms 'malpractice insurence policy' I am pretty sure you have to be a W-2.

Also, I believe (could be wrong) that to be considered an associate you have to be a W2 employee.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonew View Post
W-2. I haven't heard of too many 1099 positions offered to associates. In order to be covered under the firms 'malpractice insurence policy' I am pretty sure you have to be a W-2.

Also, I believe (could be wrong) that to be considered an associate you have to be a W2 employee.
The malpractice thing may be state specific, but I think in any state, the firm is the named insured.

My sample set is pretty limited. My last job was a W2 with no benefits (and extremely limited expense reimbursement). The current job is a 1099 with no benefits, but the firm pays for everything other than health insurance and a retirement plan (I have my own 401k through Vanguard). In both cases, I was and am considered an associate.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

landonew, that sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Your priorities make sense. Good luck!

Coach