Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
Old 07-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Jarhead, I think we are likely seeing the small sample problem. Your class numbers are probably low, RE Wahoo's seem high.

I believe the last I saw, my college class (we are mostly age 64-66 now) has lost about 85 out of 1000. Quite a few were early on, in outdoor accidents, battlefield injuries, car wrecks, etc. Now the cancer, heart disease and miscellaneous crap are showing up.

My class is very fortunate to have a skilled and empathic writer who has written an obituary for every class member lost so far. I told him I hope to write his.

Ha
Yeah, my brother and I (58 and 60) have had a few classmates die in accidents, etc, plus a
few suicides. Now the "misc. crap" is taking a toll. Hey folks, it's a natural
thing. Just today I talked to a neighbor who is battling prostate cancer.
He said "I'm still alive!" I said "Me too! Good for us!".

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Wow: Where'd you go to school? Those are high numbers (percentage wise).
I agree the numbers are darned high. Small town in East Texas, class of 1965. A bit surprised that none died in Vietnam. I'm not fully up to speed on all of the reasons but do know that one died of a stab wound in prison, another was struck by lightning while on a tractor. A couple of deaths from auto accidents, two from complications related to diabetes, several from cancer.

REW

Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I agree the numbers are darned high.* Small town in East Texas, class of 1965.* A bit surprised that none died in Vietnam.* I'm not fully up to speed on all of the reasons but do know that one died of a stab wound in prison, another was struck by lightning while on a tractor.* A couple of deaths from auto accidents, two from complications related to diabetes, several from cancer.*

REW

Hey, my brother's class (high mortality) was class of '65 also. Not sure if any died in Viet Nam. None from my class did (1962).

JG
Old 07-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

There's more to life than early retirement. I would hate to see this board turn into a big competition where young dreamers challenge each other to see who can retire first. Some people take "living below your means" to extremes and end up torturing themselves for years just to retire a few years earlier. Lately, I am learning how to be more generous with my money. I'm about to turn 26 this month and I have already started a habit of giving $50 a month to a charity or non-profit foundation. I'm sure some people on this board would freak out about this and start thinking ..... "what is the future value of $50 per month compounded at 8% interest blah blah blah."

My goal is to retire somewhere between 48 (early retirement) and 57 (full retirement). I'll be getting a Federal pension. In the meantime, I have been trying to better myself and keep myself entertained. I completed my MBA while working full-time. I hit the gym about 3 times a week. I read business magazines and books. I go out for lunch or dinner once or twice a week. Sometimes, I go see a movie on the weekend. Yes, all this costs money, but it's better than "eating, sleeping, and retiring early."
daystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystar
I have already started a habit of giving $50 a month to a charity or non-profit foundation. I'm sure some people on this board would freak out about this and start thinking ..... "what is the future value of $50 per month compounded at 8% interest blah blah blah."
Naw, I'm freaking out because a lot of charities are very inefficient, especially when it comes to fund raising. When I was your age, I would occassionally get a phone call from somebody raising money for a Police or Fire Department charity. I figured that I better not piss off police or firemen, so I'd give them some money. Later, I found that the company who solicited money for some of those organizations kept close to 90% of it for themselves, and passed on a miniscule amount to the underlying charity. So, now I only give directly to local organizations that I know fairly intimately or to national or international orgs who publish how that money gets distributed.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I actually don't have a land phone, so I don't receive any telemarketing calls. I have a cell phone and I didn't want to spend the extra $20 a month for a second phone line. There's still some "early retiree" in me.

I contribute to large national organizations. I contribute to some of the schools I have attended. I occasionaly give money to something local, where I might physically hand the money over to a person. Most of the big charities have secure websites and they publish how much of the money actually goes to the charity. If something goes wrong, you can always dispute the transaction with your credit card company.

Wabmester: If you give me your phone number, I can invite you to contribute to the Daystar ER Foundation.*
daystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystar
There's more to life than early retirement. I would hate to see this board turn into a big competition where young dreamers challenge each other to see who can retire first...
There's a whole lot more to life than working 9+ hrs/day, too.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Hey, my brother's class (high mortality) was class of '65 also.* Not sure if any died in Viet Nam.* None from my class did (1962).

JG
DW and I were discussing this (Viet Nam casualties) yesterday.
Although I personally do not know anyone who was killed, I do have 2 close
friends who were wounded. Man, they can tell some stories. My best friend
was a medic. He doesn't talk about it.

JG
Old 07-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #29

Count me in the camp that likes beans and rice. Unfortunately, I have not had any for awhile, but now I am hungry for them.

Jarhead- that is too funny!

I agree that there is more to life than just retiring early, but I think that the vast majority on this board agrees also. We contribute to our church, support a child overseas and various other charities. Maybe, we would have been RE if we had always taken that money and invested it, but it would not have been worth it. I have a feeling that alot of people on this board to contribute to worthwhile charities, because they seem like such nice people.

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwit
I'm just saying why don't we all eat rice and red beans and retire at the first possible moment....

because you want those extras.

Cut the extras and LBYM and beat me at 45.
That's what my brother does. I'm telling you....the guy's total cost of living (south TX) is $12k, which includes a mortgage. The trick? He won't spend money on anything. He eats peanut butter sandwiches, watches a 13" TV with rabbit ears, drives a mid-90's Kia, etc. The good news: his savings percentage is insane. The sad part is he'll never spend a dime of it.
dandan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan14
The sad part is he'll never spend a dime of it.
Lemme guess-- unmarried with no kids, right?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwit
I'm just saying why don't we all eat rice and red beans and retire at the first possible moment....

because you want those extras.

Cut the extras and LBYM and beat me at 45.
Why do you want us to beat you?

JG

Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm actually just trying to beat myself... my FIRE date just keeps changing - since I keep upping the ante. So I was just yacking at myself - this forum is a really great sounding board.

I'll have to say I've been on the road to FIRE on my first day of work (exactly 20 years ago to the month) - and just have been upping the ante from barebones to realistic to (almost now) quite enjoyable. I was really on my own and stumbled upon the Terhorst's book about 8 years ago (quite on my own) and also the Retire Early which convinced me of a relatively safe 90% SWR of exactly 4.78%. Now after this most excellent discussion board (and the recommended readings) I really feel comfortable with a SWR of 4% with the added flexibility of reducing this to 2 to 4% if need be (that is, really working with 2 budgets just to get the right mind-set.)

I have to say that any young dreamers (or anyone for that matter) that find their way to this board is blesssed. So much covered for just about all cases and lifestyles - of those enlightened individuals that have that constant murmur of freedom and FIRE while young enough to enjoy it.

dim

dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Lemme guess-- unmarried with no kids, right?
I'll take it one step further....
He's unmarried, no kids, and a girlfriend who doesn't mind paying for everything. I get upset with her just for putting up with that!

Even when we were kids, he was pulling the "uh, I forgot my wallet" routine.
dandan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He's unmarried, no kids, and a girlfriend who doesn't mind paying for everything.*
Wow, a girlfriend with a wallet!

OK, I'm getting confused here. What's the problem again?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Wow, a girlfriend with a wallet!*

OK, I'm getting confused here.* What's the problem again?
The problem is that DanDan14 wishes he had got there before his brother.

ha
Old 09-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #37

Sticky rice is the only "real" rice.

43 FIRE'd in 2 weeks. Wife n'2 kids.

Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what my brother does.* *I'm telling you....the guy's total cost of living (south TX) is $12k, which includes a mortgage.* *The trick?* He won't spend money on anything.* He eats peanut butter sandwiches, watches a 13" TV with rabbit ears, drives a mid-90's Kia, etc.* The good news:* his savings percentage is insane.* The sad part is he'll never spend a dime of it.
I'll have to re-read Dante but I'm pretty sure from your description that your brother lives in one of Hell's inner circles.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
I'll have to re-read Dante but I'm pretty sure from your description that your brother lives in one of Hell's inner circles.
He said his brother lived in South Texas...close enough.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
He said his brother lived in South Texas...close enough.

Have you ever been in Northwest Texas? Fortunately, Texas really is like a whole other country.

JG