High costs of weddings...and going into debt?

This is a depressing thread. Weddings are depressing enough without having to add all this crassness.

I used to entertain myself looking at the young matrons at the wedding of a young bride. A lot of sad eyes.

Ha

Last edited:
I'm heartily in favor of blowout weddings, but as a guest and not a groom. Heck, 20 years later we remember almost as many details about a friend's Pebble Beach CC wedding as we do about ours. And I remember details about another friend's bachelor party that almost broke up the wedding.

The best way to avoid overspending on your wedding is minimize the advance notice. In our case it was six weeks, when spouse and I got married because we had to.* 35 people in a restaurant, had the JP ceremony in the middle of the room before everyone sat down to eat.

*No, no, not that way-- we were up for orders and the Navy wasn't going to send us to the same duty station unless we were married to each other.

1939 - New York City marriage license - no wedding (parents)

1976 - start of a 29 year one night stand - no fee, no paperwork, no marriage.

heh heh heh - cheap but I came by it honestly. :cool:. I will find a way to be frugal at my funeral also!

Last edited:
I will be giving them a check for $1500...it will not be unusual for my brother to receive thousands of dollars at the wedding.

I wish my parents would give me the dowry already.....I would be able to semi-retire in 7 years instead of 12!

Gaaaaaahhh!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/fashion/24skin.html?em&ex=1217131200&en=c947ffcb2e5d761a&ei=5087

Becky Lee, 39, a Manhattan photographer, declined when a friend asked her — and five other attendants — to have their breasts enhanced. “We’re all Asian and didn’t have a whole lot of cleavage, and she found a doctor in L.A. who was willing to do four for the price of two,” said Ms. Lee, who wore a push-up bra instead.

Dr. Fardad Forouzanpour, a cosmetic surgeon in Beverly Hills, Calif., said his business has increased more than 40 percent since he began offering what he calls Bridal Beauty Buffets in 2006.

Two weeks ago, Health Travel Guides, a medical tourism company, exhibited at the Dallas Bridal Show for the first time. “We received 30 requests for quotes among the bridal show attendees — mostly for plastic surgery such as liposuction and breast augmentation,” said Sandra Miller, the company’s chief marketing officer. “But also many for cosmetic dentistry and inquiries for providing quotes for bachelorette getaways that will feature beauty treatments.”

A bride’s request that you whiten your grayish teeth can strain a relationship. Samantha Goldberg, a wedding planner in Chester, N.J., recalled a bride who asked her attendants to get professionally spray-tanned for a Hawaiian-theme reception.

Alas, two women were claustrophobic and couldn’t bear standing in a tanning capsule. “They asked the bride if they could use regular tanning cream from a salon,” Ms. Goldberg said. The bride refused; she wanted everyone to be the same shade. The women ultimately declined to be bridesmaids.

This article almost makes me ashamed to be female.
My question is less "who are these women and how did they get like this?", than "who would want to marry them?"

Wow....what happened to just sharing your day with important others as you tie the knot? I would never do any type of plastic surgery to be a bridesmaid for anyone!
I guess they will not be retiring anytime soon especially after footing the bill for botox and liposuction!
BTW....a couple of my friends have already started getting botox and they are only 35!
I am going to age naturally!

But there are no amusing stories about the vast, VAST majority of completely normal happy weddings and brides and grooms (or people who manage to pay their bills every month)--thanks, NYT and other mainstream media!

As usual, DW and I continue to oversimplify things. We figured that if we wanted a big wedding and could afford, we'd do it. If we didn't want and big wedding or couldn't afford it, we wouldn't. Worked for us.

Well....I guess that is the gift that keeps on giving...but she doesnt need a pair, what she's got is more than enough for me:smitten:BTW, I have been asking her what she wants and she says "no bells and whistles"..So far so good...

Back
Top Bottom