Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Missed this thread the first couple times. Congrats to the OP and his wife for making choices about how to live their lives (and having built a nest egg to allow it).

I can't help but speculate if the choice of the word "highly" in the title was a piloting pun.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's today story about a 747 cargo plane that landed at a wrong little airport a few miles away from where the pilots were supposed to land.
What's more, it was the "pregnant jumbo", the Dreamlifter that they use to transport airline chassis, wings, etc. I guess they had to empty it out, but they did manage to get it airborne today.

That's an "oops" for certain, but it pales in comparison to the crash in Kazan, Russia, a couple of days ago:

Shocking video: Boeing?s nosedive in Kazan captured as cause of crash debated ? RT News

The Boeing 737 dove straight into the ground. Initial reports suggest that there were no mechanical problems with the plane, but that the captain had never done a go-around on this model of aircraft before. Apparently he elevated the nose, which risked a stall, and then overcompensated, which put the plane into a dive. If that's what happened, more training and simulation might help prevent it in the future.

I have a friend whose colleagues were passengers on that plane. It must have been terrifying.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Shocking video: Boeing?s nosedive in Kazan captured as cause of crash debated ? RT News

The Boeing 737 dove straight into the ground. Initial reports suggest that there were no mechanical problems with the plane, but that the captain had never done a go-around on this model of aircraft before.
Perhaps they meant that he had not done a go-around on a real airplane. I would think that he would be trained on a simulator already. That accident happened at night, and maybe that added stress to the situation.

I just now remember a 747 cargo plane crash in Afghanistan earlier this year. So, I searched the Web and found that they already discovered the cause. Tanks or military vehicles carried onboard were not properly fastened down, or the chains broke. The cargo inadvertent movement in take-off caused a large shift in center of gravity of the plane, which was too much for the pilots, or rather the plane horizontal stabilizer, to compensate.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do recall from trying to learn how to fly (gave up because it was to nerve racking) that one technique taught is short field takeoffs. As this article suggests the first step was to remove all unnecessary weight, and likley that meant going to minimum fuel as well:
Boeing Dreamlifter takes off safely from wrong airport [UPDATE] - UPI.com
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I do recall from trying to learn how to fly (gave up because it was to nerve racking) that one technique taught is short field takeoffs. As this article suggests the first step was to remove all unnecessary weight, and likley that meant going to minimum fuel as well:
Boeing Dreamlifter takes off safely from wrong airport [UPDATE] - UPI.com
At least they had "cold, windy weather" going for them.

747s used to be flown into Sanderson field in Shelton Wash. for dismantling. Sanderson is 5000 feet long, but of course they never had to take off again, and they were empty.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #66

I read another report that they offloaded fuel, and one would assume anything else they could, in order to get it out of there. Sure, with no cargo and minimum fuel that would cut the required runway distance by a third.

The oft-quoted required runway length of 9100 feet is most likely for a fully fueled and loaded airplane.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy4er View Post
Hi folks, I've been a reader for a couple of years now, and have made a few posts. I'm looking for some career advice and opinions. I picked the wrong career for myself (airline pilot) and feel really trapped. I have always felt the stress of the job, but recently it is becoming unbearable and affecting my health. I've finally come to the realization that I'm not cut out for this line of work (only took me 20 yrs). We've been saving and cutting expenses as much as possible over the last couple of years to try and get out. We have no mortgage and about 18 times annual expenses saved. DW is a SAHM with our 9 year old. I'm probably within 3 years of FIRE but don't know what kind of health problems this stress and lack of sleep etc.. is doing to me. At 49, would you try to stick it out for a few more years and FIRE or quit and work a lower paying lower stress job for many more years? Thanks for any replies and wisdom
I have observed people react differently to the same stress. I think you need to experiment with different jobs before you know what best for you. I found pay and stress are connected. For me more money always came with more stress. In my work I have shouldered more stress for the money.

I have been flying for 15 years and each flight has stress, but I fly only for the fun of it. I enjoy this stress as it reminds me that my life is in my hands and I am alive.
If flying did not have that stress I would not enjoy sport aviation as much as I do.

This kind of flying would be too much stress for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=HE0HEtHFemQ
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
This kind of flying would be too much stress for me. Luray Aerial Saw Trimming - YouTube
Yow! Too much stress for me too.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

It was in Kansas, they sometimes just taxi between those 2 airports:-)

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy, can I relate to this thread. I started one a few months back asking for advice on hanging in there for a few more years at work. I have a high paying but high stress job as well. I have figured out some ways to take some stress out at work - basically figured out how to deal, for the most part, with a high maintenance, difficult boss.

The wife part is familiar too. When I have talked about retiring early with a much more modest lifestyle that we currently enjoy, my stay at home, hasn't had a job in 20 years wife makes some negative noises.

Now I just say: "I guess you will need to get a job if you want all that fancy retirement stuff".

Then she makes more noises...........
CorporateSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateSoldier View Post
Then she makes more noises...........
Something to work on, gradually.

Meanwhile, just remember ...
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Something to work on, gradually.
She definitely gets a vote; but not a veto.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
She definitely gets a vote; but not a veto.
Apparently, you haven't met her.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Apparently, you haven't met her.
Well, we all make our own choices. Purporting to veto a spouse's wish to downsize so that they can afford to take a less stressful job, while at the same time refusing to go out and work oneself, is pretty strong stuff: and perhaps should cause a re-evaluation of the desire to remain married.

It's not like the issue is something minor like what colour to paint the dining room, or where to vacation next year. A veto in those cases is inconsequential and quite appropriate. But insisting that a partner continue to toil away at a job they hate is not even close to be a reasonably supportive and loving spouse.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #75

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. After reading all these post it would seem almost all are in favor of getting out of the stressful situation now rather than keeping my head down and plugging away for a few more years to reach FI.

I tend to agree, it's not worth the toll that the stress takes out of you.

It seem like my DW is getting a lot of the blame in not helping or sympathizing with the situation. I have to admit that I am not very good at communicating my feelings, actually terrible at it.
I can open up here anonymously better than one on one with her, so she probably doesn't fully grasp the problem.
Honesty is the best policy. Understanding, and being compassionate are two different things, she may never understand but at least if you are honest she has a chance at being compassionate.

I did the opposite, I took a high-stress job so my wife could quit her high-stress job. It's worked as well as I imagined, I am stressed...and she got bored so she found a job (albeit part-time).

I have learned through the years a lot of the stress is caused by myself, or poor decisions. When you make good choices, decisions and don't get down on yourself when things don't go the way you thought, it doesn't seem as bad.

I have friends whom are young pilots and there complaints right now are that they don't make enough money.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Honesty is the best policy. Understanding, and being compassionate are two different things; she may never understand but at least if you are honest she has a chance at being compassionate.
What a great post!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
What a great post!

Thank you Milton. The DH taught me that one years ago.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

OP Here, reviving an old post. I changed jobs about 3 Year’s ago to a different type of flying. Much less pay to start so I have not stashed away as much as I was saving previously. My question is do you think I can call it quits now or am I cutting it too close?
I have about 1.2m in investments with a paid off house. Currently spending about 38k
a year not including health insurance. ACA with subsidies (as it stands) would be around 4500 a year. I’m 53 with a 13 yo and a stay at home wife. What do you think?
rdy4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OP Here, reviving an old post. I changed jobs about 3 Year’s ago to a different type of flying. Much less pay to start so I have not stashed away as much as I was saving previously. My question is do you think I can call it quits now or am I cutting it too close?
I have about 1.2m in investments with a paid off house. Currently spending about 38k
a year not including health insurance. ACA with subsidies (as it stands) would be around 4500 a year. I’m 53 with a 13 yo and a stay at home wife. What do you think?
Since your child is 13 and your wife is still staying at home, I take it that this is likely a permanent condition. $1.2mm with paid house is not a super situation, but I can imagine that the load on you might be growing pretty heavy.

Up to you, and I feel for you.

Ha
Old 12-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #80

Quote:
With a 3.5% withdrawal rate you could pull ~$42k/year in (before any taxes). In your situation I'd also assume that subsidies would not be there in a year or two, thus increasing costs for health insurance and plan with those numbers instead (better safe than sorry). As such, I'd imagine you're still a few years away from a comfortable, higher percentage chance, FIRE.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote