Hosed on car insurance

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2 weeks ago, I get a quote for car insurance. $630 for 6 months. Higher than most here I'm sure, but I'm only 24. So I call back today to purchase that policy and it's now $720. Exact same coverage, they copied the details from my previous quote. They couldn't offer any explanation about the increase other than "our rates must've gone up." I haven't had any changes that would affect it, no accidents, tickets, claims, no lapse in coverage, no bankruptcy, etc. I can understand the premiums are going to fluctuate a little, but +14% in 2 weeks? Come on! And the worst part is that this company is still hundreds lower than the competition, so I have no choice but to suck it up.

You may also remember my earlier thread about dealing with the state of florida on my car registration...finally got that mess solved, I decided the risk of running an expired tag wasn't worth it. Most of the threads I post here probably make me sound pessimistic...but I'm not that way in real life. Everyone just seems to be out to hose me these days...the bond funds...the insurance companies...the state of Florida...the list is endless.

soupcxan said:
Everyone just seems to be out to hose me these days...the bond funds...the insurance companies...the state of Florida...the list is endless.

Soup, you aren't paranoid if they're really out to get you... :eek: :)

soupcxan said:
2 weeks ago, I get a quote for car insurance. $630 for 6 months. Higher than most here I'm sure, but I'm only 24. So I call back today to purchase that policy and it's now $720. Exact same coverage, they copied the details from my previous quote. They couldn't offer any explanation about the increase other than "our rates must've gone up." I haven't had any changes that would affect it, no accidents, tickets, claims, no lapse in coverage, no bankruptcy, etc. I can understand the premiums are going to fluctuate a little, but +14% in 2 weeks? Come on! And the worst part is that this company is still hundreds lower than the competition, so I have no choice but to suck it up.

You may also remember my earlier thread about dealing with the state of florida on my car registration...finally got that mess solved, I decided the risk of running an expired tag wasn't worth it. Most of the threads I post here probably make me sound pessimistic...but I'm not that way in real life. Everyone just seems to be out to hose me these days...the bond funds...the insurance companies...the state of Florida...the list is endless.

A tip from a geezer. Everyone is looking to get
"in your knickers". This will not change. I guarantee it!

JG

If you've made sure you are not paying for coverage you don't need and gotten the competing quotes, then the best thing you can do is start preparing for the big "I'M 25" party.
The drop you'll likely see will be as refreshing as a Corona served by a scantily clad Heather Locklear.
And yes they are out to get you- - - - :eek: and they rarely fail  :eek: :eek:

REWahoo! said:
Soup, you aren't paranoid if they're really out to get you... :eek: :)

Bumper-sticker I spotted a few months back:

"Somebody, please help me, the Paranoids are after me".

soupcxan said:
2 weeks ago, I get a quote for car insurance. $630 for 6 months. Higher than most here I'm sure, but I'm only 24. Everyone just seems to be out to hose me these days...the bond funds...the insurance companies...the state of Florida...the list is endless.

Soupcan,

What the heck are you doing investing in Bond Funds if your only 24? - I'd be pretty comfortable with 100% stocks at your age.

Cut-Throat said:
Soupcan,

What the heck are you doing investing in Bond Funds if your only 24?  - I'd be pretty comfortable with 100% stocks at your age.

I don't disagree with this. However, at 24, stocks were the last
thing on my mind.

JG

Just a few days ago I received a shock in the mail. My auto insurance statement came in and it was 45% less than the previous one. It said I qualified for a "prime of your life" plan. I guess becoming an old geezer is not all bad.  :D

Nords said:
Has anyone ever seen her fully clad?
Ah yes, now that you asked.  As I recall it was Aspen, a chilly December night, when we stepped away from the roaring fire I had built from shapely Colorado spruce hours earlier- - On the deck nature unfolded before us.  The wind sculpted snow drifts were alive in the moonlight. In the distance a covey of penguin romped as if they had been dispatched solely for our viewing pleasure.  Suddenly I realized she must be cold for her bosom seemed somewhat reduced though still quite perky.   I asked her if her scantily clad condition was causing her discomfort- -she said yes, and could I warm her up.  I knew exactly what to do. I carefully placed my jacket around her shoulders and set off to gather more Colorado spruce.  Later that night it front of the newly aroused  fire - -I got my jacket back.  8)

Soupcan,

What the heck are you doing investing in Bond Funds if your only 24? - I'd be pretty comfortable with 100% stocks at your age.

I didn't want to be the one to say it but I agree with C-T. Take a walk on the wild side at that age. What kind of car you driving man (seems kinda high)? If you are a good enough driver (at least when sober) why not raise the deductible a bit so long as you have a little cash in an emergency fund? Could save you a little money. Have you tried the multiple policy coverage (if you have a house & etc.)? Would it be cheaper to switch your car to your wife's name? Gotta think of ways to screw them out of some money too.

JPatrick said:
Later that night it front of the newly aroused  fire - -I got my jacket back.  8)
I must admit that I sincerely regret asking that question...

Back on topic for a second, Soup, are/were you or anyone in your immediate family in the military to qualify you for USAA? Or if you're interested in GEICO, they offer an 8% discount to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders. Is there any possible way you could still qualify for a student discount or a graduate of a defensive-driver training course?

Beyond that you'd be looking at less coverage and/or higher deductibles until your 25th emancipation.

Nords said:
I must admit that I sincerely regret asking that question...

Back on topic for a second, Soup, are/were you or anyone in your immediate family in the military to qualify you for USAA?  Or if you're interested in GEICO, they offer an 8% discount to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders.  Is there any possible way you could still qualify for a student discount or a graduate of a defensive-driver training course? 

Beyond that you'd be looking at less coverage and/or higher deductibles until your 25th emancipation.

I shop and switch insurance coverage relentlessly. I have even considered
going with the state required minimum coverage on the cars. My agent
says she won't write it based on what I have to lose (probably not much
commission either) :) Anyway, considering what could happen when
either of us is behind the wheel, I guess it's a sucker bet to save a
few hundred $ per year.

JG

This insurance company is the lowest I can find...I've tried geico, state farm, others, but this is still quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives. I'm not married and I don't have a house, so there aren't any other discounts available. I've asked about taking a driving course or something but they said it doesn't help. My deductable is the max at $1000 so no help there. The car is nothing fancy, just a Mazda. Less than a year until the big two-five, so hopefully I'll get a break then.

I certainly understand the insurance issues in regard to age. My wife & I pay about $1,800 a year to insure several vehicles, a 05 Ford Focus, a 1997 Mazda Miata and a 1985 VW camper. This is with 21st Century and they are pretty much the lowest rate around. Now my son is 16 and to add him as an occasional drver is an additional $1,800. Checked with a couple other companies and they will not insure, period.
Insurance is a crazy game but I cannot afford to be without it. One major accident and there gors any retirement.

soupcxan said:
This insurance company is the lowest I can find...I've tried geico, state farm, others, but this is still quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives. I'm not married and I don't have a house, so there aren't any other discounts available. I've asked about taking a driving course or something but they said it doesn't help. My deductable is the max at $1000 so no help there. Part of the problem is that I have $100/300k coverage but with +$125k net worth, I want to be protected in case something awful happens and I'm liable. The car is nothing fancy, just a Mazda. Less than a year until the big two-five, so hopefully I'll get a break then.

Just be happy you are not trying to buy insurance in MA or NJ. When I was your age, I would have killed to get the kind of rate you are being offered.

Back
Top Bottom