Join Early Retirement Today

House profit saving
Old 04-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

House profit saving

I'm putting my home on the market in the next few weeks....
I stand to make about 125-140k on the property, and will just be putting the money away for the next year and a half or so. I'm in the military and will be deploying in a few months, and will be gone for a year, so there's no use to buy a place until I get back.
I'd appreciate your comments about what I should do with this money. The main thing is - I'm not willing to lose any principal on this money - I want to have the full amount to buy a place when I get back.
Is a CD as good as anything? I saw the Treasury Bills aren't really much higher than CD's. I don't really know where else to put it. I'm thinking there are other places that I can put it, since it's a larger amount of money.
Any ideas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: House profit saving
Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, an 18-month CD would do the trick. Your only concern might be that the FDIC will only insure $100K per account. You can always put in multiple banks to get the full amount insured. Check bankrate.com for rates -- you should be able to get around 5%.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Allternatively, you could just plunk the oney in the Vanguard money market fund. Yields over 4% and rising, virtually no risk, and instant liquidity should you need it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Allternatively, you could just plunk the oney in the Vanguard money market fund. Yields over 4% and rising, virtually no risk, and instant liquidity should you need it.
+1

Vanguard Prime MM is yielding 4.47% today with daily liquidity. Hard to beat that

Old 04-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Emigrant Direct savings accounts are now paying 4.5%.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys - I may actually go with one of the emigrant direct savings accounts.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If you go with Emigrant, you might also want to look at their credit card. If you have > $10K in their savings account, the card pays 1.4% cash back on all purchases with no upper limit.

SC
Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

don't forget your military tax breaks

"Taxpayers may exclude gain on a home sale, provided they have owned and used the home as a principal residence for two of the five years before the sale." you should be able to hold onto these gains without paying taxes until you return from overseas if I read everything correctly.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes I found out about the tax break - but it gets better - I was told by the tax pros on post that if you're military, it's the past 2 out of 15! Mine's been the past 2 out of 5, so no big deal, but I'm very happy to know that I won't have to pay that capital gains tax. that's a bundle of saving right there.