Lifelong renter 3 2.63%
Built once, never again 21 18.42%
Built more than once 16 14.04%
Always bought used 53 46.49%
Never built, but would consider it 12 10.53%
Other 9 7.89%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm also a BONA.

A million decisions, and often you visit the site and find that something wasn't done the way you wanted it, and now it's too late to change it.

Example: Builder decided that we'd like a little more flat space at the top of the steep driveway. As a result, the lower part of the driveway was extra steep, and larger cars would get stuck trying to come up it. It would have been prohibitive to jackhammer out the cement and start over.

Another story: we chose the carpeting based on a small sample. It had little dots, like Oreo crumbs. When we saw it installed DW and I both hated it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm also a BONA.

A million decisions, and often you visit the site and find that something wasn't done the way you wanted it, and now it's too late to change it.

Example: Builder decided that we'd like a little more flat space at the top of the steep driveway. As a result, the lower part of the driveway was extra steep, and larger cars would get stuck trying to come up it. It would have been prohibitive to jackhammer out the cement and start over.

Another story: we chose the carpeting based on a small sample. It had little dots, like Oreo crumbs. When we saw it installed DW and I both hated it.
YES- when you build you learn little things. The question is does the little things make you say "never again", and it differs from person to person.

Lucky for me the driveways in both places we've built have been good. Had that happened to me, I may have not built again.

Carpet lasts only 5-7 years anyway. Wife and I put a light gray carpet in our condo and it was dirty and bad- matted down quickly and you could see a walking trail.

So in second house we chose a darker neutral carpet.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire48in2018 View Post
.... We've learned to do a lot of DIY type work over the years. It really gives DW & I bonding time to work on these projects together.

"bonding time working on these projects together" hoo Ha! You so funny! Bonding time... snicker. (ok, i'll hold this beam up and you smack it into place as soon as it's close - OH FOR THE LOVE of.. HIT IT!! Oh my back! Don't just tap it!! Wait what! but it's not straight yet - can you move it a little to the left? Don't shout at me - i thought we were a team...bonding..)

Nah, you're right - building forges bonds just like i hear battle does.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I've heard some counselors say that a couple should not get married until they have wallpapered a small bathroom together.

That's probably good advice.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
"bonding time working on these projects together" hoo Ha! You so funny! Bonding time... snicker. (ok, i'll hold this beam up and you smack it into place as soon as it's close - OH FOR THE LOVE of.. HIT IT!! Oh my back! Don't just tap it!! Wait what! but it's not straight yet - can you move it a little to the left? Don't shout at me - i thought we were a team...bonding..)

it works pretty well for us.
I do the structural type stuff - walls remove/add, door remove/add, windows add/remove, put down hardibacker boards, all electrical,etc
She does all the cosmetic items - paint, tile, etc
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #46

Built once, in 1986 in Smithville, TX. The then-DW & I argued most of the 3 months it took the house to be built. After we moved in and made one payment on my brand new 30 yr VA loan, we separated and she moved to an apartment in Austin. Got divorced. I had 2 very young little girls at home with me. Sold (allowed assumption) the house, rented for a few years, then bought another house, this time used, but only about 8 yrs old. Met future new DW, remarried, moved to Louisiana and bought a brand new house that was already completed (spec house). Still live there, but almost ready to try to sell. Based on my experience, I will not build another house. Not because of the divorce, but because it was a pain in the AZZ. All I want is to have the key to the new place dropped into my hand at closing.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

Hilarious and true. DW and I have done a lot of remodeling and that exchange you describe is frighteningly accurate.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

I guess I am lucky.

We are saving money with the DIY, and DW does a lot of the work - like tiling, grouting, etc.

We don't argue. I just say, yes dear.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire48in2018 View Post
I guess I am lucky.

We are saving money with the DIY, and DW does a lot of the work - like tiling, grouting, etc.

We don't argue. I just say, yes dear.
I'm kinda playing - we're both pretty darn sure we are each correct on most anything, oddly enough, sometimes our opinions differ. We do best when we each take one facet of a task. It's when we're working together and i need her to be my height, of gorilla strength, and know just what needed doing to, f'rinstance, get a beam in place before my wimpy back gives way. It's good to have a good partner.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted built once, never again. The first house I bought was about 75% built when I agreed to buy it. The second house I built from scratch. Never again will I do that. I ended up making money and doing well with it, but it requires a lot of work and house buying, selling, construction, and paying bills brings out the worst in (some) people. My builder and I were friends from high school and we still are today, but his wife is intolerable. She can go do squat thrusts on fire hydrants for all I care. I prefer to buy a house "as is" versus buying into the concept of what it will look like when it is done. There is usually plenty of work to do on a house that was previously lived in. I bought a house that was "move-in ready" but have still done 30K worth of work in four years. Hopefully I'll get DW to stop with the projects and just enjoy the place.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #51

The poll stays consistent as more people chime in. 66% of ER types are not going to be building.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #52

New build on our own first home as well as several rentals we used to own.

Our new home on a couple acres is our dream home, designed in principle by me but drawn up by an architect, and built with self as GC and architect as project manager. Would do it again, but only if I was living nearby. I don't recommend it when you live 6,000+/- miles away.

R
Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in the same 1920's house I purchased 15 years ago, and just bought a 1970's cabin in the mountains. You can have your new house if you want it. I'll keep mine.