Join Early Retirement Today

How can I make time accelerate?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I mean aside from developing super-powers or a time machine. I'm getting obsessed with retirement -- I'm reading about it every day, and I just checked 9 books out from the library on it -- but it's still a year and a half away. It seems like forever. It seems like time (which was moving along swiftly before) has suddenly slowed to a crawl, now that I want it to speed up. I guess it's that old saw about "a watched pot never boils." The good part of this is that I'm really excited and enthusiastic about retirement. The bad part is that I have to wait a year and a half. I'm impatient. I feel like I'm doing time.

So, any advice for killing the time between now and then? How do you help the time pass? How do you cope with having to wait it out? Try not to pay attention to it? A countdown calendar? Preparation? Fantasies? Help me out here.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #2

Work on your bucket list.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Read the thread What did you do today? That could take a year and a half.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Administrator

I feel your pain. With me it was like running a long race and just as the finish line comes into view you find that you have a bungee cord around your chest pulling you back and slowing you down.

However, it is all an illusion, and the next 18 months will pass at the same rate as the last 18. Keep on trucking
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just keep busy at home and at work; I find there's always too much to do, and not enough time to get it done. As a result, time flies even when I'm not having fun!

Count-down calendars motivate some, but I can't personally see much difference in "365 days left" versus "one year" or "twelve months."

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I feel your pain, my man! I love my job, my life and my family, but I am in the same boat as you as far as being obsessed....and I have about 20 years to wait!!! Maybe I'll go back to the very first post on ER.org and begin there.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Make a long list of things you need to do now. Make a second list of everything you need to do to get ready to retire. Make a third list of things to do immediately upon retirement. Make a fourth list of things you want to do in retirement.

Begin working on checking things off those lists. Once you make these four lists you might decide that there is barely enough time to get the pre-retirement stuff done.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

You may not believe this but you will look back some day and be shocked at how fast this time goes....

I thought it would NEVER end the last few months of work, but now it's almost 3 months since I'm out and that time has flown too!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Just remember, time flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like bananas!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Good advice and jokes here, thanks guys (and gals). I'll keep on truckin, make some lists, and stay busy.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

What always helped me was reviewing my portfolio, running FIRECalc, browsing this forum, or reading books like the Terhorsts', Kalderlis', or ESR Bob's.

Anything to keep me in close touch with my eventual, glorious escape.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Maybe Jeannie can help....

Ahhh...but if not, I imagine you'll have some pleasure in your life between now and retirement day. Just think...tomorrow you'll be one day closer.

Don't wish your life away...enjoy the ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (11.7 KB, 233 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

If you aren't already, track your expenses closely so that you are certain what your costs will be in ER. (Subtract out any work-related expenses such as parking at work that won't apply later.)

If you plan to change any of your habits in ER (being more frugal, for example), do that now.

Since it doesn't really impact you anymore, you can enjoy observing the BS at work from a distance.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm right there with you Eddie! 7 yrs for me and I can hardly stand it now.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

First you get a DeLorean.
Then you spend so much time geting it and keeping it in shape and running great.

Next thing you know 10 years has passed.

Then you get a second DeLorean.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
gone traveling

I'm 31, and have been obsessing over the idea of FIRE for the last year or so. I'm probably 10 years out, in a moderately optimistic scenario... but I wouldn't wish for time to go by faster. I'm just trying to enjoy my time, and have been considering cutting back on my employment (maybe going 80%?) to enjoy my family more.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #17

Retire! I can't believe how fast the past 6 years have flown by since I retired.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Take it as it comes and enjoy each day, one day you'll be asking how to make time decelerate.

The third and second month preceding retirement dragged by slowly for me. But for whatever reason (I still don't know, or care, why), the last month before retirement seemed to fly by. Weird...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Accelerate time!? I no sooner finish breakfast and it's bedtime! Seems that way anyway.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Take it as it comes and enjoy each day, one day you'll be asking how to make time decelerate.
+1. I found myself wishing the days away as well. I've made myself be more present in my current day by starting a 'grateful' habit. At the end of every day I write down three things that went well or that I am grateful for. By starting this habit I really pay attention to the day that I'm in...even though I still really want to retire!