How distant is your FIRE date?

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I find myself wondering if anyone has a FIRE date further in the future than me.

My FIRE date (as of yesterday's calculations) is October 26, 2022.

What's yours?

2Cor521

P.S. -- If I may express a preference, I would like to hear mainly from those who are not yet FIRE'd and have done at least some rudimentary calculations based on their own data.

March 2011.

I just read your P.S.. Not sure I'm still qualified to answer. I did not do any rudimentary calculations. My calcs are extensively detailed.

It's when I hit 40, or sometime thereabouts. That's my goal, although in reality it's when I think I can sustain a 4% or better SWR. It should happen when I'm 40, but anything can happen between now and then.

May of 2025. My wife and I will both be 45 and happily retired on a beach in San Diego.

March 2011.

I just read your P.S.. Not sure I'm still qualified to answer. I did not do any rudimentary calculations. My calcs are extensively detailed.

My PS was intended to rule out folks who say "Well, I'd like to retire when I'm 55" or "I'm hoping to retire early" and have not run the numbers for themselves. I'm looking for folks who have put their actual retirement balances into a web calculator or who have their own Excel spreadsheet or done calculations on an envelope, but I don't mean to establish any minimum complexity level for their calculations. Personally, I have an Excel spreadsheet that goes out to about 2045 and has a couple dozen different columns of data.

Mainly I just want to see if I'm the biggest loser on this site ;-).

2Cor521

July 31, 2010, give or take 8 months if the unexpected interferes. It would take something on the order of another Katrina or a devastating stock market collapse to delay things past that date, though.

It's not as far in the future as yours, but then I am in my late 50's already.

Last edited:
Two answers:
DH will quit when he turns 50, in 2012. Geezer! :)
I will quit in another 5 years, in 2017 (I'll be 47 then).
If we have more money than I've calculated, then I'll quit sooner.

2Cor, when you are talking to this crowd, you gotta remember that this place is like a 12-step for spreadsheet addicts! :)
Sarah

November 21, 2019...my birthday present to myself.....I will be 45.

December 2017 as of my latest calculations (I'll be 50 and DW will be 48. There are a lot of variables in my spreadsheet so I'll be shocked if this turns out to be my actual FIRE date, but it's something to aim for.

I think I have everyone beat..but not in a good way.

05/29/2027 - I will be 50

I'm sure I could squeak out another year or two, but this date is already at a 40% savings rate. Still something to look forward to!

On my birthday, January 18th, 2013. Not maybe, but absolutely positively. I'll be 55 and will be required to retire from my federal service job at that time, so no sticking around any longer. UNLESS, I decide to look for a different fed job that will allow me to continue working. AIN't GONNA HAPPEN!!!:D

DW will retire Feb 2016 when she reaches 55 as well. That's the earliest she can tap her 401k without penalty.

I find myself wondering if anyone has a FIRE date further in the future than me.

I hope, and I do stress "hope", to be able to walk away no later than December 31, 2008. Failing that, I would prefer April 22, 2010 when I turn 50...

Not to rub it it, but I plan to go on 12/31/2007. I started planning with detailed spreadsheets about 5 years ago. Since than, I've gone through a number of scenarios, many firecalc simulations, vanguard calculators, JP Morgan (401K manager) calculators, t rowe price, etc., etc. The end of this year is still a go. 10 years ago, my first son was finishing college and my second was a year away form college. Putting 2 kids through college made early retirement a hazy dream.

I think I've got everyone beat so far. Because mine's so far out, I haven't calculated down to the month yet, but I do have a year: 2029. I'll be 55. That's a long stretch in between, so things could change drastically, but based on reasonable projections, that's my current date.

At the outside, Independence Day will be July 4, 2014 (I'll be 55 then). Depending on the performance of my portfolio and my ability to endure office BS, maybe sooner.

I have thought about leaving as early as first half of 2010 (probably do my Roth for the year first)....it would be borderline (and might just take off some time to consider other career options) and depends on how the job is going by then....

We have a range of FIRE dates: minimum 2012 (age 38, portfolio should be large enough to pay for all mandatory expenses plus a bit more), ideally 2017 (age 43, portfolio should be large enough to maintain current lifestyle, i.e. plenty of cash for fun stuff), maximum 2024 (age 50, that's in case the market returns less than 5% adjusted for inflation or our abilitiy to save money decreases over the next 10 years).

Best guess between 2012 and 2017, when I'm in my early to mid forties. So many things could impact this that I'm not making any plans based on those dates yet! Health care expenses, tax law changes, market returns, maybe buying a home, income from hobbies...

Wow...lots of projected early retirements here. I'm hoping to ER in Aug. 2008 (50 yrs. old), but plan PT work in fitness (because it is my interest and for some spending money). DH will continue working for another 5 - 9 years (until 55 or 59 1/2). I don't want to touch my IRA and Roth's until much later. So, just wondering what folks are doing for $ until they are 59 1/2? 72Ts? Just wondering if I'm missing the obvious.

I'm shooting for sometime this decade...as in before 12/31/2009. I'm currently at about 28x expenses, and want to get to 31x. The problem is, I originally told myself that my target was 25x, but when I got there, I had second thoughts. Hope it doesn't happen again at 31x!

First quarter 2012

Back
Top Bottom