How do you decide on ER vs buying/spending?

Amazon.com makes it easier for me to spend money!

I have been planing to upgrade our TV room for three years. I have known for almost that long exactly what I was going to purchase. I would go to the store, look at the stuff, and walk out. I just could not bring myself to actually buying the stuff. It was different on the computer. Soooooo easy just to push the button on amazon! They already have my credit card data and you just check out. Makes it to easy!

Hilarious to hear these stories. I started a stash many years ago, just squirelling away spare dollars with the intent I'd blow it on something frivolous one day. The stash is now over $6,000 and I've consciously tried to bring myself to spend it several times and blown $100 here or there, but it still builds far faster than I spend from it. It's a (blissful) disease, I've been incredibly fortunate in this life and I just don't want for anything...

183203.jpg

I'll send you my address. Oh, and you'd still have $500 left over. I'll get together a list for that remainder if you want.

Here's a suggestion: things are rarely worth postponing ER for, while experiences might be.

For example, I might be willing to push back retirement a few months if it meant that I can take the trip-of-a-lifetime African safari (or wherever); but I wouldn't delay 10 minutes just to have a fancier car, house, or set of clothes.

Apparently even the very rich are starting to value experiences over things. As noted in The Wealth Report - WSJ.com : Predictions for the Rich in 2008, "'experience' (is) the new luxury, since the rich already have so many cars and boats and planes that they’re looking for more-meaningful moments in life. A Bentley just sits in the driveway; memories of you and your family trekking with penguins at the South Pole last a lifetime."

I pretty much buy whatever I want, within reason. I have 18% of my salary going into my TSP, each year of work is 1% added to my pension. I also have my National Guard pension locked in and it's COLA'd until I start drawing it.

So, whatever $ is left over I buy whatever I want. I have several hobbies and try new things often. I don't go overboard etc, but don't deprive myself. Well, I am waiting until my current TV dies before buying a new thin screen HDTV.

It comes out of habit more than decisions.

I am in the habit of setting aside 10% of what I make. I am in habit of avoiding debt.

These two habits will fix most of my other spending issues. I am far from a perfect saver and do spend money on wasted things once in a while.

The things I enjoy are also quite simple. I am quite content to sit around a bonfire and drink Sam Adams White Ale (if you like beer, I strongly recomend SAWA).

I also enjoy spending time with my wife doing anything in particular.

For me it's a matter of habits and simplicity. I don't let others tell me what to do, think, spend on etc... That also goes a long way.

Tell me more about the white ale, jIMOh! I like IPAs best, but always ready to try something new!
And you are right about habit and simplicity.

Tell me more about the white ale, jIMOh! I like IPAs best, but always ready to try something new!
And you are right about habit and simplicity.

Sam Adams white ale is their seasonal brew (I believe they have 4-6 different seasonal brews). It's in a green box at your beverage store of choice. My guess is it will be for sale until around Memorial day, when a different seasonal brew comes out.

It has to be one of 3 best beers I have ever tasted. Haupferhaus here in cincy has a good german wheat beer, and schnitzelbak in Jasper, IN has a good local brew too. White ale is up there with both.

If you are in Ohio, my fridge is stocked with it, give me a call. Thank god for that second fridge in garage.

Thanks jiMOh--Too far to go for beer, I'm afraid! But I'm going to the beer superstore to lay in shockingly large supplies for St. Pat's this weekend and will look for it there! Got to get the Irish Car bomb supplies plus plain old Guinness for the die-hards.
But that is a strong endorsement so I'll be sure to put some in the mix for Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom