Join Early Retirement Today

How do you make the (work) days go by faster?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

How do you make the (work) days go by faster?

Hi,

Corporate work is my fastest and best path to FIRE, but after all of these years, it's getting harder and harder to get through the days. I would trade off pay for lifestyle, but I don't see a good option there because I really want to be free of the schedule and other obligations that come with paid work.

Do you have ideas for how to make the days pass faster during the next several years?

Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was always big on naps.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Come in late, leave early?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeespoons View Post
Hi,

Corporate work is my fastest and best path to FIRE, but after all of these years, it's getting harder and harder to get through the days. I would trade off pay for lifestyle, but I don't see a good option there because I really want to be free of the schedule and other obligations that come with paid work.

Do you have ideas for how to make the days pass faster during the next several years?

Thanks!
Hey Coffeespoons,

Welcome. You may want to post something in the "Hi, I am..." section. Just so the folks on here can give some pertinent advice.

Sick days always help me get thru a work day. Oh wait...

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

Spend more time on e-r.org while at work

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

quit! I did
Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

the older you get the quicker the days will pass
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

How many more years do you have to endure this hell?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Toward the end of my full-time career, I looked around for more stuff to do, or came up with new/interesting tasks for myself. There was a twice-weekly budget meeting I had to attend, which looked, on the surface, like a total bore. Poor stuckee Amethyst!

Well, I took some budget courses, boned up on the arcane vocabulary, and started publishing a one-page layman's-language summary of the proceedings and emailing it to the higher-ups. They loved it, and I got a bonus.

Also, the time spent on the meetings and newsletter helped protect me from getting stuck with other stuff I *didn't* want to do.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

There's some truth and some humor in the above responses, but I found that the more engrossed you can be in your job, the quicker the day goes and the less you think about how much you don't like it. If you just can't do that in your job, see if it's possible to find a position you like and can get lost in. But also try to call it quits at the end of the day. Stretching your day into the evening gets exhausting especially if you do it often.

Working from home occasionally is a nice break, especially from the commute, if you are able. Or flex hours if you are able, especially if traffic is an issue. I found myself in a better mood if I waited until 9 and then breezed in on the drive, or even coming in before 7 if I knew it meant about I could out early. It also gave me an hour or two of quieter time in the office before most people came in or after they left.

Sprinkle in vacation days here and there to give yourself a break if you have some to spare between longer vacations for trips.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I know where you're at because I am in the same boat. It helps when you have something to look forward to in the near future. I am planning a summer and holiday trip. Though it counteracts saving, it fits into the thought process that you have to live your life now. Life happens when you are making other plans.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

FIRE?

New to this forum-what does that stand for?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

Financially
Independent
Retired
Early

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi,

My personal opinion is that, after you reach a certain age, you start to realize that "making the days pass faster" is a very flawed concept. We all only HAVE a finite number of days left - why "make them go faster"? Instead, try to figure out how to make them more enjoyable, even if you are still stuck at work.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #15

All I know is that watching the stock ticker to see how my options were doing did not work to shorten the day. Focusing on the task at hand was best for me.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDeer View Post
New to this forum-what does that stand for?
* Acronyms and Slang Frequently Used on the Forum *

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
I use to listen to Ron White or some other comedian esp. in the morning
I did make the mistake of laughing to loud a few times ....
Old 01-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Toward the end of my full-time career, I looked around for more stuff to do, or came up with new/interesting tasks for myself. There was a twice-weekly budget meeting I had to attend, which looked, on the surface, like a total bore. Poor stuckee Amethyst! Well, I took some budget courses, boned up on the arcane vocabulary, and started publishing a one-page layman's-language summary of the proceedings and emailing it to the higher-ups. They loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
All I know is that watching the stock ticker to see how my options were doing did not work to shorten the day. Focusing on the task at hand was best for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
There's some truth and some humor in the above responses, but I found that the more engrossed you can be in your job, the quicker the day goes and the less you think about how much you don't like it. If you just can't do that in your job, see if it's possible to find a position you like and can get lost in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
My personal opinion is that, after you reach a certain age, you start to realize that "making the days pass faster" is a very flawed concept. We all only HAVE a finite number of days left - why "make them go faster"? Instead, try to figure out how to make them more enjoyable, even if you are still stuck at work.
+4. Keeping myself busy was always the best medicine IMO. If all my work was done to the best if my ability, it gave me the opportunity to work on tiger things and/or help others - but I always chose these tasks that were interesting to ME or skills I wanted to develop. Adding variety to the day with other tasks also reduces boredom...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #19

It's better if you are busy until it's too late.... This last year is agony for me.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Come in late, leave early?
And take long lunches.