Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
^Right. You could become part of the community living in long-term parking at LAX.
Heck, in Honolulu that's only $390/month, it's under cover, and it's just a 10-minute walk from the beach... don't have to wear a wetsuit, either.

I think Jacob has established a gold standard for ER accumulation & distribution that would have Joe Dominguez & Amy Dacyczyn gnashing their teeth in envy. Think of Jacob's techniques as a gigantic Chinese buffet with all-you-can-eat pricing. There's an ice cream machine in the corner and a huge pan of steamed broccoli in another corner, but you're going to put your meal together using a little from everything. A few may have the commitment and discipline to reach the five-year goal, but others will take a little longer to get there.

I suspect a lot of the commitment is inspired by the workplace "environment"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Incidentally, I just published a book about it a few days ago. I see it's discussed elsewhere on this forum, so I hope it's okay to link to the thread.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I suppose it's just a coincidence you don't post for three months and then when your book is published, you just happen to drop by and mention it...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Nah, there's a reasonable explanation. I started my own forums in July and have been busy there. I came back here when I got a pingback from the other thread. Then I started looking around and saw there has been some development in this thread since the last time. If I hadn't gotten the pingback I must admit I probably wouldn't have dropped in. Too busy to keep up
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
If I hadn't gotten the pingback I must admit I probably wouldn't have dropped in.
I'm happy to see you here and hope you will hang around.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nah, there's a reasonable explanation. I started my own forums in July and have been busy there. I came back here when I got a pingback from the other thread. Then I started looking around and saw there has been some development in this thread since the last time. If I hadn't gotten the pingback I must admit I probably wouldn't have dropped in. Too busy to keep up
Are your forums generating some income for you? That would be nice.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh yeah! Last month I made $45 in ads on the forums (and $112.5 on the blog). This month is not looking so hot (yet?).

A few of my blog readers had been pushing for creating the forums for quite a while (actually in part because they felt their questions/interests didn't quite fit in on this forum ... "What you want to turn the A/C up to 85F to save money?! Crazy..") and I was holding back on the software installation because I didn't want the hassle. Then I finally gave up---more hassle in saying "not yet" than in installing the software. It turned out to be pretty easy to install. The good thing about it is that people can get to cover a topic without waiting for me to bring it up on the blog so they can discuss it in the comments.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We used to pay $660 in rent for a two-bedroom house when we lived in Indiana---$330/person. California is very expensive, but it is easily possible to find $200-400/month/person places in other states.
This can be a breeze in high cost areas too. One illegal rents an apartment, then his 5 buddies move in with him. Sleep on the floor, share costs and $1450 rent doesn't seem steep at all, it is easily within your parameters.

I know of houses in Seattle where eight people share a $2000 rent, do the math, easily passes the test.

The rest of us are unbelievable spendthrifts.

Ha
Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to try my hand at ultra frugality one day... lets say two years for a start. I have 5 acres of property on an island on the B.C. coast. Could have a big garden... one can simply row out past the kelp beds at slack tide to catch crab, salmon, cod. Lots of berries in the summer, fruit trees galore. Could have chickens as well. The concept is so appealing... yet I still awake every morning at 5am to a screeching alarm clock and commute into the meat grinder that is my career. I think (I hope) I am close to an epiphany. The ability to radically change my life is right there if I have the courage to do it.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I have 5 acres of property on an island on the B.C. coast.
The ability to radically change my life is right there if I have the courage to do it.
Shucks, my grandfather did it with a very early edition of this book:
Amazon.com: Five Acres and Independence: A Handbook for Small Farm Management (9780486209746): Maurice G. Kains, J. E. Oldfield: Books

Keep in mind that my father spent most of his formative years creating plans to escape from this idyllic vision.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

These things appear to run in waves. Big New England based back to the land movement in the 30s, another big hippie-based one in the 70s and now apparently another 40 years has a new group eager to do this. If someone is interested, it might help to find some of the magazine articles and such from the 70s that tell the tales of the not so fun events that sometimes came down. Adds a little balance.

Ha
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

My guess is that these movements are formed at peak market (20s, 60s, and 90s) through a disillusion with the exuberant state of affairs. They become visible about a decade later. For example, 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago, frugal living was widely shunned. Now it's getting popular and those who have been practicing all along become visible as forerunners and leaders. Popularity is simply determined by whatever way the middle leans. My guess is that it's the middle that breaks eventually because they never fully understood the lifestyle they tried to adopt.

More stuff in Robert Prechter's books.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My guess is that these movements are formed at peak market (20s, 60s, and 90s) through a disillusion with the exuberant state of affairs. They become visible about a decade later. For example, 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago, frugal living was widely shunned. Now it's getting popular and those who have been practicing all along become visible as forerunners and leaders. Popularity is simply determined by whatever way the middle leans. My guess is that it's the middle that breaks eventually because they never fully understood the lifestyle they tried to adopt.

More stuff in Robert Prechter's books.
I had older friends who did this in the 30s. They had a good time, but they were truly wealthy and heading down to NY or Boston for an occasional weekend was do-able. I also saw a lot of it first hand in the late 60s and 70s. My overall impression was that people who went into the marijuana business did OK, for the rest it was a very hard slog. And particularly for the women, although the 70s back to the landers were strongly patriarchal and women seemed to get the short end pretty frequently anyway.

A terrific novel about California No-Cal 70s hippies who head to Alaska is Drop City by T.C. Boyle. You find yourself really caring for the characters.

IMHO, adequate cash flow seems to smooth life for many and perhaps even most people.

Ha
Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

While the super frugal/on the road lifestyle may work for younger folks, I have serious doubts this would provide a secure future in our older years. I should mention we are influenced by seeing loved ones decline in health and ability.

DH and I are homebodies, so are not inclined to take this path. Living in a $300 a month place, even in the cheapest areas, frankly doesn't appeal to us. Even if we wern't the stay at home types, I'd have concerns regarding the long term viability of such a lifestyle.

Just an opinion. I do find this topic interesting and can surely pick up some tips.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Shucks, my grandfather did it with a very early edition of this book:
Amazon.com: Five Acres and Independence: A Handbook for Small Farm Management (9780486209746): Maurice G. Kains, J. E. Oldfield: Books

Keep in mind that my father spent most of his formative years creating plans to escape from this idyllic vision.
This got me thinking: isn't this "escape planning" usually pretty common, whether you grow up in the city, the suburbs, or the country?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I just ordered the book online based on comments from fellow members here. Sounds interesting, looking forward to getting it next week.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I just jumped off the frugality train by buying a Kindle just so I could read the ERE book poolside/beachside while down in the Baja for three weeks. I'm looking forward to soaking up everything that Jacob espouses... I'm going to continue to work for a little longer, but when the time comes to jump ship I want to be fully prepared to employ MANY of Jacob's ideas.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Well I just jumped off the frugality train by buying a Kindle just so I could read the ERE book poolside/beachside while down in the Baja for three weeks. I'm looking forward to soaking up everything that Jacob espouses... I'm going to continue to work for a little longer, but when the time comes to jump ship I want to be fully prepared to employ MANY of Jacob's ideas.
Is this satire?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

No, but re-reading it, it certainly can come across that way...