Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How many here have a boat?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Actually when kids (a boy in my case) becomes a teen they can find sailing a lot of fun.
here too. my favorite boats were my little sunfish and the ol'man had the dinghy on his boat rigged for sail. i loved it. then in my late 20s i lived on a lake and used to sail every day after work. we considered jetskis noting more than annoying mosquitos. but of course, they're fun now

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Do you go sailing in lakes around atlanta frequently?
Not as frequently as I would like to go
But needs to suffice until FIRE.
Here is picture of Sailors (well, me holding the camera) sailing on Lake Lanier a month ago:
[img width=750 height=562]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/ssailor/IMG_3746.jpg[/img]

Quote:
I've always assumed it would be more fun to sail on the ocean/ICW, which is ~2-3 hours away for me, plus loading/unloading (unless I rent a slip).
Yup - I prefer coastal crusing to lake, but can't get there from Atlanta for a half day sailing.

Quote:
Is sailing on a lake commonly done?
Yes. For example there is over 1000 sailboats just in marinas on Lake Lanier, and this does not count trailer sailors. But if you can sail weekdays you'll get the lake for yourself.

Quote:
We have a few lakes around Raleigh where I live, but they are primarily long and narrow - 10+ miles long by 0.2-.75 miles wide.
They are people sailing even in smaller ponds, but not on 35ft Dufours
The winds on small lakes are frequently tricky, but it's a lot of fun on a small dinghy.
If you want to sail with family/kids, even on small lakes consider a cabin boat.

Quote:
I could imagine going down them with the wind might be fun, but tacking back upwind might be quite a chore in narrow waterways w/ other boats and unmarked shallows near the bank.
No problems with tacking a small boat. With a little practice you can tack in quite close quarters - for example when we rented a small Capri 14 dighy, we needed to tack out of a marina about 300 ft upwind and the channel was 35 feet wide.
You can also just use your outboard if you prefer - for lake sailing I use electric trolling motor - so no noise to worry about.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to have to spend a lot of time on some sailboats learning about them and about sailing before I make any decisions. And take some classes or get training from a knowledgeable friend.
Good luck.

Sailor
PS: Is your DW onboard with your plans?

Old 03-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 14.5 foot canoe and a 15.5 foot kayak.
Just got back from three days on a trout stream in AR.
We spent 20 minutes waiting for a motorboat to dock at a landing.
He could never get it straight on the trailer.
Remarked a teenager fishing on the bank as we pulled our kayaks out:
"That's really the way to float this river"
So true. No gas. No fumes. No noise.
Wildlife sits there for you.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
PS: Is your DW onboard with your plans?
More like overboard!

We have discussed it before (the liveaboard sailboat idea - including sailing around the world). She seemed pretty enthused. Once we get out in a real sailboat and/or take sailing lessons, she may realize it is a lot of work. My idea may not be feasible due to this.

She always seems to enjoy it when we go to the lake and rent a jonboat for $3/hr on occasion.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #45

Justin - I have a book called 'Living Aboard' for sale on half.com 8) This book answers nearly every question one might have about living aboard! (and then some!)

I considered buying a sailboat to live on - but the fact I have an inland job - and years from FIRE, well - not in this decade will I commit to a boat!

Best of luck!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:58 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We know the folks who wrote "Boatless in Seattle". Great book. Gypsies of the first water ( ).

My wonderful family helps me when I get my annual boat attack. We all go out on the water. In somebody else's boat. Some day I may do something foolish. (OK. Something ELSE foolish. Is there a seven-step program of some kind?)

Ed in Cowtown, AB.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
OK. Something ELSE foolish. Is there a seven-step program of some kind?)
Hmm, maybe you mean 12 step program?
(With apologies to AA crowd):

Hello, my name is Ed and I'm a sailor.
I'm on a 12 step program.
I sail in January,
I sail in February ....
Old 03-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #48

One 1998 21' center console with 120 O/B (Carolina skiff)
One 12' dry day sailer
Three covered deck kayaks
One 16' canoe
Two windsurfers
Three kites and two boards
68' of deep draft canal front in the OBX next to the ICW

The current water toys are quite modest and upkeep is minimal. Even the house is basic compared to typical ICW waterfront properties. I have my eye on a 38' early eighties vintage shoal draft monohull to add to the dock which could seriously dent the upkeep budget. Been playing (and working) in and on the water since I was crawling. For me it is like breathing. It does cost but it is also great to have a life long passion.

Budman, that is one very awesome pilothouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBXplace.JPG (56.2 KB, 24 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb OBXplace.JPG_thumb (31.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #49

Nice place and list of water toys, Targa Dave! I love those Carolina Skiffs--such a workhorse of a boat. So, what nameplates are you considering for the shoal draft 38 footer? Just curious. We keep going back and forth on the sailboat/trawler debate.

And I agree, Budman's pilothouse looks big-time! That has some serious range!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Targa Dave -- Looks great. Are you down in North Carolina?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Started with a 16' 1960 something Sea Ray with a 75 Johnson. Then a 22' 1973 Sea Ray Cuddy 165 hp I/O. Good on gas. Then a 1990 21' Sea Ray 250 hp I/O run about. Trailered all of these to the ramps. Bought them used so the depreciation was minimal. Last was our 24' Catalina pontoon with a 65 hp outboard. All of that was on the Great Lakes in Michigan. Now we are in Florida and I'm keeping an eye out for another pontoon. Wife thinks the $16-3 hour ride down the Withlacoochee River per person at our favorite restaurant is fine. : They were all a lot of fun in the sun though.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
And I agree, Budman's pilothouse looks big-time! That has some serious range!
don't let the pilothouse fool ya. nice boat but that's a coastal cruiser probably with a planing, not displacement, hull. my guess is 300 mile range at cruising speed of 18 knots.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Targa Dave -- Looks great. Are you down in North Carolina?
Yep. OBX = Outerbanks. We're soundside on the Albemarle up around Kill Devil Hills. From April to Oct the local sailing club runs Wed evening triangle races just outside the harbor on the sound. We can either join in or spectate from the deck. Used to race in a Hobie fleet many moons ago and I really miss it.

Name for the 38 footer? I'm partial to "Empty Pockets" (one of the great names on this site)

Carolina skiffs are great basic no-frills boats. Ours is a "Sea Chaser" bay boat they make, not a true flat bottom skiff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WedSail.JPG (47.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WedSail.JPG (47.4 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb WedSail.JPG_thumb (17.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb WedSail.JPG_thumb (17.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Budman, that is one very awesome pilothouse.

[/quote]

Thankya kindly! We like her. Her name is Ocean Breeze and we are getting anxious to launch in May.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
don't let the pilothouse fool ya. nice boat but that's a coastal cruiser probably with a planing, not displacement, hull. my guess is 300 mile range at cruising speed of 18 knots.
Our pilothouse has a semi-displacement hull, with 440 gallon fuel tanks. 370 cummins diesels. Our range is approx. what you have indicated. But at 1000 rpm we will get approx. 900 miles (as rated, we have not tried that distance/speed out yet).
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

don't get a boat unless you are really rich period. otherwise, you will be like poor people with bmw or mercedes. you will eat marcoroni and cheese, break your back waxing, cleaning, and spend most of the time parking it instead of using it.

enuff
Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat
don't get a boat unless you are really rich period. otherwise, you will be like poor people with bmw or mercedes. you will eat marcoroni and cheese, break your back waxing, cleaning, and spend most of the time parking it instead of using it.

enuff
Hey, Hey, Hey, that's my mac n cheese you're making fun of!

But you do make a good point...if you do not have the means, then you should not buy a boat!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #58

My most enjoyable hobby is fishing. I also have always owned a boat. I could own a fish market with what I have spent fishing but it's a lifestyle choice that I am lucky to be able to afford. Have never regretted owning a boat. In fact when I retire I might purchase a second one, just for saltwater fishing.
You can't justify the ownership but then again if you want a boat, then purchase a good used one and always remember to LBYM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #59

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

My dad bought a 32' macgregor sailboat, and i'm scared to death of it.... I helped him fix it up, got the rust stains off the hull, and we went sailing. He's a semi-experienced sailor, although this was the first voyage in his 'new' boat. The day was going well... sunny with a decent breeze. Then the wind came. No, this wasn't like the wind in forrest gump, but just a strong breeze which kicked up some decent white caps. No biggie... just take in some sail. Right? This is where my newfound fear stems from..... the roller furling jib wouldn't roll.... it would unroll, but wouldn't roll back up. Now we're in the middle of puget sound surrounded by whitecaps with WAY too much sail out. Ok, so we turn into the safety position... except now the jib is violently flogging. Awesome. My brother (a programmer) tried to "hug" the jib in order to contain the sail, but he's only 5'10" which left about 30' to flog in the wind. I moved him out of the way and manually rolled up the jib, but I had to sit there on the bow (lest the jib unfurl again) with only a small railing keeping me out of the sound until we got back to the dock. I have never been so happy to be back on dry land. To this day i'm credited with 'saving the day', but I haven't been out on that boat since. Instead I ride my yamaha waverunner....
Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I posted on another thread that I'm selling my boat. If the buyer shows up and his cashier's check is good, my cost of ownership over the past six years will look like this:

$9,800 - Purchase price (used)
350 - Repairs & maintenance
720 - Insurance
280 - License & registration
(6,500)- Sales price
$4,650 - Cost of 6 years use (excluding fuel and boat launch fees)

$775 per year is relatively inexpensive for a 'big boy toy". I had a great time with it, but it's time for it to go.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote