Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I was laid off twice. Both times found jobs before severance ran out, so I was "double" paid for a short while both times.

I am hoping for a 3rd lay off next year so I can ER.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

5 times. Once on my first day back from vacation. Another time I had been on the job less than a week and there was some sort of contract screw-up. They asked me back a week later. Then they laid me off again about 8 months later with more contract nonsense. Geez, was that place ever screwed up.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This isn't mine, but a coworker quit Megacorp to go to a better Megacorp. In his orientation(or was supposed to be), he's told the project he was hired to work on was canceled. You no longer have a j*b on your first day. Lucky he'd exited the first Megacorp clean so he was welcomed back.

MRG
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Laid off once (from my first real job out of graduate school). It was a small biotech startup and we just ran out of money.
Laid off from a start up because we ran out of money but the CEO was arrogant (bad decisions based on ego) and a crook (running his other company out of our company using our employees). He continues to run his game on others over and over again! Should be in jail.

Volunteered for layoff from a family-owned company so other employees would not be laid off. I was from outside the community and the others were locals. It would have been heartbreaking to see any of them laid off and then for me to resign later.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #25

39 years in the workforce, laid off 3 times by the same Megacorp. (19 years at megacorp). Recalled shortly after layoff 1 and 2.

3rd time, they were asking for volunteers to take the fall. No cash payout, just 6 mo free medical. I took it. It also saved the job of someone much older ,with less time megacorp, who needed just 4 more mo. to qualify for retirement.

Worked out best for everyone.

Was offered recall twice after the voluntary layoff. Didn't go back.

Best career decision I ever made. Should have left years earlier.

Ended up 18 mo later working for "Megacity" making almost double.

Hate working for " Megacity" currently , but the money and benefits make it ok.

( edit post , said 44 years at work , make that 39. 10yo kid with paper route don't count as "workforce"
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
....Unfortunately, for a while I had the job of telling people that they had no future with the firm and needed to move on.....
Sort of reminds me of my first performance review about a year and a half out of college. I was working hard and partying harder. I met with the managing partner who began the discussion by telling me that they thought I was a really smart young guy - he paused briefly and I was thinking this was going to be a really good review - and then he went on to say - but.... we don't think you're applying yourself worth a lick.

He went on to say very nicely that in 6 months they would either promote me or kick by butt out the door. I was promoted 5 months later - it was a good wake up call.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #27

Can't say I was ever fired or laid off. I was threatened with getting fired from my first job as a teenager at the local library but I survived that and went on to work there for another 15 months, doing good work.

During some of my college years, I was an usher at a Broadway theater. When I would go back home for the summer, I sometimes wondered if they would still need me when I returned in September. After the first summer they still needed me but after the second summer whenever I called on Sunday to see which nights they needed me for the upcoming week they rarely if ever needed me (they had enough people from the summer who kept working there) so after a few weeks I stopped trying. I eventually got a job on campus.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #28

I've quit every job I've ever had. Never been fired or laid off. Happy for every time I walked away, but I'm only on my 7th job in almost 30 years of working. Never worked anywhere that had more than 30 employees either.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #29

Never laid off in 34 years with Megacorp. I took nothing for granted; during several downsizing efforts when younger I explored outside options and found, due to my skills and contacts, I was readily employable. At this stage in my life a layoff wouldn't bother me assuming the severance package stays the same.

With the current economy and outsourcing efforts I think the odds of me getting laid off are greater than me choosing to leave... but fortunately since I hit my FI goal it would not be an issue. I do feel for several friends in my age group who are absolutely panicked about layoffs as they haven't achieved FI (and likely never will).
Old 10-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
'will the last person leaving Seattle please turn out the lights'
That was a real billboard. I wuz dere. [Hi, Unc! We have to share a root beer one day.]

w/ re the OP's question, when I was staff, I was laid off and fired several times (is there a difference?). Quit once for ethical reasons.

I have been a contractor for many years now. Every time, I have acquired experience I can sell.

I am a lousy employee/subordinate. No politics, thank you. I don't work for amateurs or idiots, but they are everywhere now.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #31

I quit the first job. Had a temporary contract job after that, and collected UI when that ended.

For 20-25 years of self-employment there were times of under-employment, but no official layoff or collecting.

2013 is the year of furlough. 10 weeks of that, and at this stage of career it felt like a trial retirement event. I expect similar in 2014, perhaps sooner.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #32

Never laid off, but did get fired once from selling cars. That was after retirement and I thought I'd try something out of my comfort zone. As I wrote on the application for a requiring a security clearance were they wanted to know why, if I'd ever left a job by mutual agreement. "While I have many talents, sales is not one of them."

Evidently that was a good answer.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #33

I was laid off (or fired) once when my Father was in the hospital and his doctor had called me home. After about 2 weeks the company I worked for said to either come back or I was done working for them. I said I couldn't come back at that time so they let me go. Dad died about 3 days later.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Good for you Nodak. Mothers and Fathers are much more important than jobs. Oldtrig
Old 10-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I was laid off (or fired) once when my Father was in the hospital and his doctor had called me home. After about 2 weeks the company I worked for said to either come back or I was done working for them. I said I couldn't come back at that time so they let me go. Dad died about 3 days later.
I will say that despite my disappointments with my current Megacorp, my actual boss is a human and gave me huge leeway with my eldercare situation. Huge leeway. I should have been at the top of the layoff list, but wasn't.

There's hope after all.

I'm sorry to hear about your case, Nodak. That's just wrong. And all too common these days.

I had a friend who worked at a CHURCH of all things that got laid off after spending too much time away after her dad passed away.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #36

Never been laid off. I've ducked many layoffs from my Megacorps and my Microcorp.

Just ducked another at Megacorp recently. Like ziggy said in another thread, if it would have happened, I think I would have been relieved instead of mad. There were a lot of very bitter people walking around at Megacorp.

My usual case has been to get a new job after seeing a few layoffs. However, now in late career, I'm either going to finish and ER on my own at Megacorp, or wait for the tap on the shoulder and let Megacorp make the decision for me.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post

I respect your decision. Not sure when that was, but today that time off would be FMLA and your job protected.

MRG
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I don't work for amateurs or idiots, but they are everywhere now.
That's an issue that's currently making me look for 'other opportunities' before I get the boot. My current situation is a textbook example of being able to read the writing on the wall:

Our St. Louis satellite engineering office was going to downsize to a smaller office and move on November 1 (original space was leased 10 years ago when we had 20 people vs 7 now). Headquarters kept humming and hawing at the lease. We were told "the lawyers are reviewing it, it's going back and forth, they're negotiating, etc.".

Then, this past Monday, 1 month before we move, we were suddenly told that they were not going to sign the lease at the new place, because the St. Louis office is going to become a project management office, rather than a production office. They're supposedly scrambling for a new space (I'm sure they've known before they told us). All future significant design work will be sent to another office (this other office head has always had it in for the St. Louis office ever since it was founded 10 years ago). They are also looking to downsize the new office even further.

The St. Louis office head claims "it'll be business as usual, with the same people, as we're currently doing design work for small projects, but major projects will be designed elsewhere."

The thing is, there isn't anywhere near enough work to justify the 7 people we have on staff for the occasional small project. And you only need 1 or 2 of them for project management.

Oh, and the client that I was the project manager for is suspiciously being somewhat taken over by the St. Louis office head and his favorite employee (who is maybe worth his weight in used paper). Of course, I'm not told this - I just suddenly become CCed on e-mails that the office head sends to the client, or he lists himself as the PM on a new project without even saying a single thing to me.

The best part (related to Ed's comment) - apparently plumbing and medical gas engineering isn't anything special, and anyone can do it. So the office head and his favorite try to play plumbing engineer (my position) on some questions that come up on another project that someone else designed, and discuss their crazyass ideas that don't work and aren't applicable right in front of me in the conference room, as though I'm not even there. They don't bother looking at me and asking me directly "MooreBonds, would it work if we tried X or Y?" They simply throw out a crazy solution, talk to each other, and run with it. "Go call that vendor you know and see what you can come up with."

And the headquarters is grooming a new hire to learn plumbing engineering - a recent college grad who worked at Target for 2 years after graduation and has been at the engineering company for 1 year. In other words, no prior experience. You'd think it would be logical to at least have an experienced plumbing engineer (who also has a lot of valuable experience on the construction side) to at least mentor her and pass on at least SOME knowledge. Nope - they'll simply let her make mistakes she has no possible knowledge of and learn the extremely hard way, and make the company look like assclowns with the variety of mistakes they're bound to make.

Oh well. Have already sent out my resume to one firm that has several former co-workers working there. Will follow up next week to see if there's any interest.

Other than the above 'virtually guaranteed looming layoff', I wasn't fired or laid off from my only prior full-time position (family construction company).
Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #39

I got let go once from my only post-FIRE job.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
The best part (related to Ed's comment) - apparently plumbing and medical gas engineering isn't anything special, and anyone can do it. So the office head and his favorite try to play plumbing engineer ....
This drives me crazy.

Back at my previous Megacorp, when layoffs came, we always joked about management treating us like "FRUs". (Field Replaceable Units)

Plumbing engineering is very specialized (I presume a sub category of MechE?) No way will that work. For those of us in software, they just grab FRUs from overseas. Problem is the FRUs never quite fit the same. It is still a problem.