Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$50 Nikes at outlet mall every 2 years or so = $25 / year
$8 shorts - about 2 pair / year replaced = $16
1 pack $7 tshirts replaced each year
1 pack $8 underwear replaced each year
1 pack $8 socks replaced each year

total about $64 / year

51, retired, male
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spend about $700/year and DH about $300/year. We are in our early 30s. I feel fortunate my work environment is fairly casual and I rarely need to dress to impress. I imagine if I worked for a law firm the figures would be much higher.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I'm at $82.54 so far this year - 2 prs of jeans and sweatpants. DW's purchases are unknown
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm at $82.54 so far this year - 2 prs of jeans and sweatpants. DW's purchases are unknown
Hey, you're a high roller when it comes to clothing. So far this year I spent a total of $43.46, back in January on underwear.

But then you know us older forum members, never spending as much on clothing as the twenty-somethings, right? I think that part of the reason I haven't spent much this year is that I am retiring so there isn't much sense in buying new work clothes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

and sometimes it is better to keep them unknown .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am 49 so probably don't qualify as "young", but I spend typically $100-200 per year. This year will be closer to the higher end as I need a new winter coat.

It might be interesting to compare spending between men and women also. I am fairly unusual as a woman (at least among my circle of friends) in that I have very little interest in fashion. Many of my friends spend more on a single handbag than I spend all year on clothing. Not judging, just sayin'.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Three years less young than me!
Well Nords I need you to keep maintaining that you are young as I am just behind you so I am hanging on your coat tails.

Age is just a number, however what bothers me about being 47 is knowing my life is probably half over. Even if I live another 47 years that is not going to be enough time to do all the things I want to do.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Almost nothing. However I have noticed that stuff tends to disintegrate after 15 or 20 years.
We do not spend enough on clothes to even bother to track it, as we are retired and do not need fancy clothes. However, it is true that my clothes are getting worn and need replacements once in a while; T-shirts get thin after so many washings, and polo shirt collars and sleeves get scuffed. Don't quite want to look like a hobo, you know? Not yet anyway. Another solution is to join the nudists.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #29

I figure our clothing budget is an emergency fund. One of the 1st things to go before having to switch to cat food.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Well Nords I need you to keep maintaining that you are young as I am just behind you so I am hanging on your coat tails.

Age is just a number, however what bothers me about being 47 is knowing my life is probably half over. Even if I live another 47 years that is not going to be enough time to do all the things I want to do.
Yes, but you couldn't do much during the early years due to being an infant and then a child. In fact, I think that probably you can subtract the first 18 years or more, which means you have only experienced 29 years of independent adulthood. In another 29 years you will be 76 and probably still excited by life and doing plenty of those things that you want to do.

Let's see - - I am 61, so if I subtract 18 years then I have had 43 years of independent adulthood. In another 43 years I will be 104.... so I guess I am probably a little over half done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

These threads always make me feel like a spendthrift so I got out all my receipts and checked how much I spent on clothes this year and the total was $862. That included $105 on underwear and $216 on gym clothes and bathing suits ( I take water aerobics at least three times a week and the chlorine eats away even the chlorine resistant suits ) . I spent $591 for clothes mostly at JJill . This $591 included a dress for a wedding , Pj's , a few new casual outfits and an all weather jacket for my trips up north . I feel this is a reasonable amount . Sure I could spend less but everybody spends money on something . I have no interest in a WII or an expensive camera but decent clothes do interest me .
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Hey, you're a high roller when it comes to clothing. So far this year I spent a total of $43.46, back in January on underwear.

But then you know us older forum members, never spending as much on clothing as the twenty-somethings, right? I think that part of the reason I haven't spent much this year is that I am retiring so there isn't much sense in buying new work clothes.
$43.46 - now thats excellent! From what I see of the twenty-somethings, they spend more than that on clothes per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
and sometimes it is better to keep them unknown .
Yes, I'm probably better off not knowing - If I knew her expenses, I'm sure my medical expenses would skyrocket due to stress, etc
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #33

Gosh, we spend almost nothing on clothes. We have a closet full of clothes left over from our DINK working days and it will take years to wear them out. Generally, we each buy a new pair of shoes every year and replace worn undies, but that is about it.

Year before last I bought a new blue blazer for a cruise.

Kind of sounds pitiful, but who cares?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
In another 43 years I will be 104.... so I guess I am probably a little over half done.
Looking at my relatives as examples, chances are that if I even make it to 80, it is most likely I will be spending my days in a rocking chair, enjoying the petunias. If only active days are counted, then I am past my mid point. Thank heaven I RE'ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have no interest in a WII or an expensive camera but decent clothes do interest me .
This implies that the rest of us do not have decent clothes.

It's OK. Some of us do not even have any clothes (search forum for nudist thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Year before last I bought a new blue blazer for a cruise.

Kind of sounds pitiful, but who cares?
I still have several suits and blazers, and intend to maintain my weight to be able to fit into them, provided the moths do not get to them. Just an occasional dress shirt is all I need to buy. Heck, in fact I cannot remember the last time I bought a blazer or a suit; it must have been more than 10 years, when I was still working full-time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Bbami, you are 3 years MORE young than I am!

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
Bbami, you are 3 years MORE young than I am!

ta,
mew
Don't ya just love that less and more young term! However if I said that to someone in "real" life, their head would probably explode!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #37

[QUOTE=NW-Bound;848579]Looking at my relatives as examples, chances are that if I even make it to 80, it is most likely I will be spending my days in a rocking chair, enjoying the petunias. If only active days are counted, then I am past my mid point. Thank heaven I RE'ed.

I'm in the same boat. I do not come from a family who live long lives. My father died at 58, my mother is still alive at 68, however that is not due to any effort on her behalf. 3 of my grandparents died in their 60s. Heart disease, diabetes and cancer are common family disease. So based on that, I budget to go to 100 but realistically I think any year beyond 69 will be a bonus. I am hoping it is much more.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=NW-Bound;848579] This implies that the rest of us do not have decent clothes.

It's OK. Some of us do not even have any clothes (search forum for nudist thread).

Sorry , If that came out wrong . I am sure everyone has decent clothes even the nudists . After all you can't run to Walmart in the nude .
Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I got you all beat. I have a negative clothes budget.

Each morning I just walk out naked. Someone is horrified enough to quickly put some clothes on me. Later I sell them down on Broadway to an older Lesbian.

Ha
Old 08-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Each morning I just walk out naked. Someone is horrified enough to quickly put some clothes on me. Later I sell them down on Broadway to an older Lesbian.
Two questions:

1. I'm guessing you walk out naked because you sold your 'flashing' raincoat?
2. Why would people from Lesbanon have any interest in buying your clothes?